looks like it's starting with alchohol now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Note that the increased risk seems isolated to women with the gene for breast cancer linked to estrogen levels.

“For most women at average risk for both conditions, the balance favors heart disease (ie, moderate drinking has a net benefit) as heart disease is much more common than breast cancer; but for women at high risk for breast cancer that balance shifts,” said Byers. The results “will not change how we counsel and [are] very consistent with the many prior studies that have shown the same thing,” Kathy Helzlsouer, MD, of Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, said in her email response.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Here's ACSH's take on it: Cheers to preventing heart disease, not breast cancer > Facts & Fears > ACSH

It’s also important to keep in mind that, since the study was observational (as opposed to a randomized controlled study), it cannot prove cause and effect. Therefore, ACSH’s Dr. Ruth Kava advises that women should balance the risks and benefits when it comes to drinking alcohol. “If you know that you have an increased risk of heart disease, but no increased risk of breast cancer, you probably don’t need to be concerned about drinking a moderate amount of alcohol,” she says. “As with most such choices, an individualized analysis of one’s risks and benefits should outweigh blanket recommendations."

Last edited:

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
This has been going around for a few years... science sez drinking is bad, then good,then bad.

A friend of mine with no family history of breast cancer, developed a pretty nasty form of it. Her risk factors were that she is overweight and smoked.

She's been smacking the snot out of the Big C now for a couple years, has survived mastectomy, radiation, chemo, special radiation treatment when it spread to her liver... she was and is not a heavy drinker. (she credits surviving cancer to her strong religious faith, and catching it early)

My guess? Smoking, and being obese probably contributed to the cause but you just don't know these days who is going to get it and who isn't. I think that in some cases, the risk factors are "obvious" (mother, sister, aunt had/have it) but in other cases it's a crap shoot.

I'm a homerewer who kicked cigs over a year ago thanks to vaping (yay!). I enjoy moderate drinking. Not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread