Lost Vape Orion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
First, I'm guessing you're picking cotton (no pun and no offense to anyone) from a fresh unused pod, right?
Second, you've got tiny tweezers which fit down far into the fill hole?
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I've ran about 18-20mL through it, and that pod is still going strong. It would speed up the process if my tweezers were a tinny bit smaller (by the time they get down to the wick, the hole closes them to where I can barely grab a few strands). Maybe I'll see if I can come up with something that would kinda "comb" out some of the cotton...On second thought, I'm really wanting to reduce the density in the coil, so maybe tweezers are best.:unsure:

again, this juice is 75VG-25PG

Last edited:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Am I missing something here? Is the wicking issues because of max VG?
I'm still plodding on happily with my orion on a daily basis (70/30 VG/PG). Its been my go to for so long and still not getting tired of it. I've used 40+ pods in it already and never had a hint of a dry hit or leak.
The only "problem" was the power issue in the beginning. Since I sorted that (as per upthread), I never encounter any issues again.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mackman

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Am I missing something here? Is the wicking issues because of max VG?
I'm still plodding on happily with my Orion on a daily basis (70/30 VG/PG). Its been my go to for so long and still not getting tired of it. I've used 40+ pods in it already and never had a hint of a dry hit or leak.
The only "problem" was the power issue in the beginning. Since I sorted that (as per upthread), I never encounter any issues again.
That's funny because long ago I recall someone saying how much better the Orion was when they thinned the wicks, but for the life of me I don't recall why it was better, nor how they did it. I like mine fine, but I'm always willing to do better.

Reactions: BNEAT

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm not sure, but I'm sure that has something to do with my issues. Or maybe that and the amount of vapor I'm trying to a obtain. (around 20-25watts is what works for me with this device)

I was under the impression that a lot of people have had issues with dry hits
Ah i'm with you. Dry hits was a common thing in the beginning when we used to turn the power up. Lots of discussion about that in this thread, but the bottom line is it performs best with the power at max 10-11W. Also low boosts and warmth.
Being a pod system you can't expect to much by way of vapor production really....limited air and power and the small coil restricts that.
I almost shelved it to.... if it wasn't for @BillW50 and others on here.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
how much better the Orion was when they thinned the wicks
I might be wrong but I really can't see how trimming the cotton will change or improve the vape quality. To me its all about the coil and the power it receives to optimally burn the liquid.
This Orion has its limitations, but for me it still is the best performing pod system by far....no doubt.
I have to add to...i'm a podoholic...love pods. I'm always on the lookout for the next best one, but none has better the Orion for me so far.

Last edited:

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
For me, it depends on the batch of pods. My first few pods had no problem with the rocking keeping up at full power.

Then I hit a bad pod that could not keep up, only replay saved me from dry hits, but vapour was significantly reduced.

I remembered the video posted of the guy thinning the wick, teasing the coil with a pick, and pulling out the fluff with tweezers. I looked, but the video has been taken down.

Doing this to my pods has really improved the vape. The art is removing enough, but not too much.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I might be wrong but I really can't see how trimming the cotton will change or improve the vape quality. To me its all about the coil and the power it receives to optimally burn the liquid.
This Orion has its limitations, but for me it still is the best performing pod system by far....no doubt.
I have to add to...i'm a podoholic...love pods. I'm always on the lookout for the next best one, but none has better the Orion for me so far.

My goal was to pull cotton from the coil, not just trim the tails. The pods I opened up had the cotton so tightly packed in the coil that there was no way they would keep up with higher power and thicker juice. And there's no way I'm settling for 10-11 watts, especially when these devices are capable of 30+watts. I'm dying to try another coil to kind of confirm if what I did helped or if I just got lucky with a pod that suited my requirements, but this one just wont die! I'm almost to 30mL of 75/25 @ 20watts!!...and my juice is a coil killer!!

Last edited:

BNEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
I only do tobacco mate. The Orion I only use for thinned WTA. At about 10-12 refills the flavor starts going down...that's when I replace it.
I kept track of my juice, and about 30mL was all it was going to do. It started tasting a little burnt and then I pocket-fired it while playing with the dog and that finished it off!

I wonder what the story is behind those! Chinese knockoffs? Are you going to try them?

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Are you going to try them?

Shipping is almost as expensive as the pods
I'm in NZ and the best shipping option here is $42.....:w00t:. I think not.
Emailed them for a better one, but haven't heard from them yet.
Ah well vaping has taught me patience...;)

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I just got a pack of pods with the updated design that the Orion Q pods have and I have to say that this is a much more satisfying vape, with the possibility of actually getting a decent MTL for a pod system.

Can you elaborate?
Yes plz elaborate. I was contemplating to get a Q, but according to Mike they're not that different.

• Informative
Reactions: BillW50

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have one dna and two Q. I like the Q better. No settings to fiddle with and it just works well for me. I run the airflow open and feel like I get good flavor. I don’t use it as a main all day pv but use it at work during the day for a vape here and there. With this intermittent use I get pretty good pod life.

Sonicsculpture

Jul 27, 2019
    The Orion Q has been my ADV device for several months now... I recently purchased the original DNA. From all that I had read, I immediately went into Evolv and lowered the settings for the 0.5 coil (9-11-12 with 0 boost). I made the other profile for the 1.0 Q coil (9-11-12-13 with 0 boost). The thing I noticed is that using the device monitor, even when I tried going above 13 watts on the Q coil, it would never get above 12.7 or so... Thats just about the most it can do. Sometimes it will get up to around 13.2, 13.5.
    Now, the orion Q device is supposed to output 17 watts, and it really is noticeably warmer than the DNA. I like it. I like the draw and I like a hot vape. So basically I'm using the DNA to break in the coils for the Q...or just using menthol/sour flavors in the DNA that I prefer to vape at cooler temps.
    YMMV, maybe I'm just starting to break in the DNA device, that's what it seems like. But I love the 1.0 coils and the Q, and have gotten great pod life with burping regularly, and taking long easy draws after refilling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread