Lots of new squonkers - a threat to Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Honestly if like to see a price around $100-120 for a reo.. doors at $15-20.

People will pay up for quality and a dependable mod and made in the USA!

Resign or ultum would be great for adding a new line of reos using a 20700 battery and regulated option! That will help draw in new buyers!

Though yes they need more info on the mod to let people visiting the site to know how and why the reos are king!!! Videos!!! Get the mods in reviewers hands but would need something new to the mods for them to talk about.

Silver contacts would be a quick one next to newer colors or finishes.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Honestly if like to see a price around $100-120 for a reo.. doors at $15-20.

People will pay up for quality and a dependable mod and made in the USA!

Resign or ultum would be great for adding a new line of reos using a 20700 battery and regulated option! That will help draw in new buyers!

Though yes they need more info on the mod to let people visiting the site to know how and why the reos are king!!! Videos!!! Get the mods in reviewers hands but would need something new to the mods for them to talk about.

Silver contacts would be a quick one next to newer colors or finishes.

Edit: btw the new p67 will hold a 24mm rda no problem without over hang. You will just need to open the door downward doing so.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I imagine not too many budget squonkers would survive this:

For mechs, I consider my REO's my "forever" mods. My cheapies tend to be backup spares kept in my golf bag, office desk drawer, glove compartment, etc.

I would imagine not too many of anything, budget or high end, would survive that other than the Big Apple Mod by Turbocad.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I agree that it would be nice to see the reo in a few more options, especially in a dna, but maybe they are just content in their nitch. As for competing with china, that's tough, and nowadays there is not to many people wanting to spend the money. More and more it doesn't matter about quality, as long as it's flashy and cheap, which stomps out the small guy. If a mod is over 50 or 75 bucks now, most look at it as crazy, and ridiculous to buy. I'm not saying all inexpensive mods are crap, but most won't even consider more expensive mods these days and anything over 100 bucks are kind of shunned now, so it's mostly massed produced, Chinese products that sell...it's gotten to the point where if it's over 75 bucks, it doesn't exist. There is nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive mod, especially with all the bells and whistles, I just don't agree with people saying that no mod is worth more then 75 bucks, think it's ridiculous, and say they are ripping everyone off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Reos were the first squonking devices I heard of years ago, but I wasn't interested in squonking back then - partly because I felt the reo was rather ugly as far as aesthetics go and I wasn't aware of many other options back then.

I only just got into squonking a few months ago and to be honest I never really considered a reo. I've just never been much of a fan of boxy designs and my squonk mod choices since I started definitely reflect that: 2 CCs, 2 Freehand Ss, a BAM ultem (incoming) as well as a pico squeeze and a therion. None of those adheres to the basic box shape. A reo just never figured into my interests even though the price was acceptable and their reputation for quality was known.

What I would love to see still is a quality, higher end version of the pico squeeze. For such a cheap low quality mod it sees as much use as any of my others. Love the form factor, the squonking system, just wish it didn't feel so cheaply made.

Unless I see something new and different I don't think a reo will make its way into my collection. I'm more likely to buy another CC unless a more interesting reo is made.

Just my perspective as a relative newcomer to squonking but long time vaper. I give reos full props for their quality and history and contribution to squonking in general though. I can respect that even if I don't own one.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I almost ordered a reo several times but with 21700 coming out I lost interest,plus there’s so many other 18650 bf mech available that any 18650 bf mod seems outdated.
    If reo grand slotted 21700 came out I’d get one and I’m thinking so would every other reo owner.Maybe going to a 21700 size reo grand style would allow 22-24mm atomizers to sit flush on deck??

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    24's fit fine on a P67.

I almost ordered a reo several times but with 21700 coming out I lost interest,plus there’s so many other 18650 bf mech available that any 18650 bf mod seems outdated.
    If reo grand slotted 21700 came out I’d get one and I’m thinking so would every other reo owner.Maybe going to a 21700 size reo grand style would allow 22-24mm atomizers to sit flush on deck??

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    The CC is nice - quality mod, indestructible, great 510 and impeccable craftmanship. For me, it is worth the cost

Reos were the first squonking devices I heard of years ago, but I wasn't interested in squonking back then - partly because I felt the reo was rather ugly as far as aesthetics go and I wasn't aware of many other options back then.

I only just got into squonking a few months ago and to be honest I never really considered a reo. I've just never been much of a fan of boxy designs and my squonk mod choices since I started definitely reflect that: 2 CCs, 2 Freehand Ss, a BAM ultem (incoming) as well as a pico squeeze and a therion. None of those adheres to the basic box shape. A reo just never figured into my interests even though the price was acceptable and their reputation for quality was known.

What I would love to see still is a quality, higher end version of the pico squeeze. For such a cheap low quality mod it sees as much use as any of my others. Love the form factor, the squonking system, just wish it didn't feel so cheaply made.

Unless I see something new and different I don't think a reo will make its way into my collection. I'm more likely to buy another CC unless a more interesting reo is made.

Just my perspective as a relative newcomer to squonking but long time vaper. I give reos full props for their quality and history and contribution to squonking in general though. I can respect that even if I don't own one.

Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    If reo grand slotted 21700 came out I’d get one and I’m thinking so would every other reo owner.
    IMO, that's the product that would make the most sense for them.

Unfortunately, their hands are tied by the :censored: Deeming reg; they cannot legally introduce a new product to the US market at this point, and I doubt the overseas markets would be big enough to justify it.

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    I'm wondering if the whole "high end" of vaping products aren't suffering. I see even Lost Vape is now coming out with a "budget line". I watch quite a few forums and such and people respond to the hype. Wismec, Smok, Eleaf, and others push these massive launch campaigns. To me most of these mods look like pure junk. Flashing lights, gaudy exteriors that look like cartoon advertisements. But people seem to respond to it. "Wow! Looks Cool". A month later they're complaining about the paint falling off and the thing going dead, but they follow with a post asking for the same thing over again. Just thinking out loud. I'm no market annalist.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2013
    Saco,ME,USA
    I doubt that the new owners of REO have any illusions about becoming the new General Motors of the vaping world. It's a small company with a devoted client base and word of mouth and reputation actually goes a long way. If they don't go crazy trying to expand to much they will do OK. Having said that if they would/could come out with a regulated mod (DNA?) I think that would be a huge boost to them.

Reactions: vapdivrr

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    I imagine not too many budget squonkers would survive this:

For mechs, I consider my REO's my "forever" mods. My cheapies tend to be backup spares kept in my golf bag, office desk drawer, glove compartment, etc.

and yet, push the button too hard a few times it's borked, and rob shuns responsibility and calls you a button masher

rob estimated he sold 20,000 grands. So there is always a few in the classies and eric needs something new

stormjib

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2014
    California
    Some of the comments here make it sound as if the choices are either cheap chinese squonkers or a reo, but the mods that I see sell the fastest are neither of those...3d printed boxes, like the bolt, which retails for $165, the Molly, made in Switzerland, $180 rrp, which is c and c delrin, and lots of other similar boxes. Most are not made in china, in fact I don't know of any except the lost vapes mods, that are made in china and considered quality mods. The problem with Reo, as I see it, is that it's old technology...my molly and my bolt are simple, direct mechs with no springs....I think if reo wants to be relevant they have to start over, and realize the market is completely changed now. I've seen lots of squonk mods go for several hundred dollars; it's not simply a question of price point...reos are just not very current. The fact that we've seen companies 'spring up' and command high dollars for their squonks should be encouraging for reo; the market is still wide open...but to reach it will take at least a new model, imo...of all the squonks that I lust after, reo is none of them.

Reactions: Ben85

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Some of the comments here make it sound as if the choices are either cheap chinese squonkers or a reo, but the mods that I see sell the fastest are neither of those...3d printed boxes, like the bolt, which retails for $165, the Molly, made in Switzerland, $180 rrp, which is c and c delrin, and lots of other similar boxes. Most are not made in china, in fact I don't know of any except the lost vapes mods, that are made in china and considered quality mods. The problem with Reo, as I see it, is that it's old technology...my molly and my bolt are simple, direct mechs with no springs....I think if reo wants to be relevant they have to start over, and realize the market is completely changed now. I've seen lots of squonk mods go for several hundred dollars; it's not simply a question of price point...reos are just not very current. The fact that we've seen companies 'spring up' and command high dollars for their squonks should be encouraging for reo; the market is still wide open...but to reach it will take at least a new model, imo...of all the squonks that I lust after, reo is none of them.

Well said. The Reo had its day, but if something new came along with rda size limitations where not even a 22mm sits flush, a switch that needs noalox to work, a spring which limits modern day builds, a squonk bottle which is as tough as old boots, and at the price it is, it would be laughed at. IMO, Reo only survives now because of the following it had before, not because of the Mods own merit in the current climate. There are far better options available nowadays which suit a wider range of vapers needs.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    IMO, that's the product that would make the most sense for them.

Unfortunately, their hands are tied by the :censored: Deeming reg; they cannot legally introduce a new product to the US market at this point, and I doubt the overseas markets would be big enough to justify it.
    BINGO! Say they release a brand new design, and it goes ballistic because it just tickets everyone's want list. One disgruntled letter to the FDA and Eric gets a cease and decist order. Followed by fines, confiscations and forced ( they got guys with guns ) closure.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Would be nice if this thread was also on reosmods sub forums.

On second thought:

I'm glad I posted this in the "Liquid Feed APV Discussion" forum.

Why?

I'm afraid that if it were posted in the Reo forum the replies would be limited to folks that frequent the Reo sub-forum - you know, Reo fans.

Posting here probably hits a better cross section of the squonking community, with far less bias and more diverse opinions.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread