Lots of new squonkers - a threat to Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Any new products introduced to the market after 8/8/2016 must be approved through the Pre Market tobacco application process before being sold in the US marketplace...yup, that's the kicker, it will affect any US company, but foreign companies can make and sell whatever they want, they just can't sell it here...but...most companies don't sell directly, so it is on the importers that this will fall.

It's weird, but there was a flurry of underage stings they did back when this stuff first hit, then not any noise about any enforcement going on. The ball is in the FDA's court, anyone can do whatever they wish, and maybe get away with it for years even, but if they do choose to act...they don't play nice.

Well then I guess it doesn't sound like reosmods is in that much of a bad spot with all that said as they have an established product with no worries of that stuff.. no other new products can be made or sold without going threw all this hurdles "if" they enforce the new regulations. Reosmods would basicly have the market for bf mods.

They can just come out with new add on for the current mods like silver contacts that one would have to buy separately from the mods and stuff like that just to change the mod.

Last edited:

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
On second thought:

I'm glad I posted this in the "Liquid Feed APV Discussion" forum.

Why?

I'm afraid that if it were posted in the Reo forum the replies would be limited to folks that frequent the Reo sub-forum - you know, Reo fans.

Posting here probably hits a better cross section of the squonking community, with far less bias and more diverse opinions.

I for one am glad that you posted it here. I took up squonking about a month ago and was searching for info on the Pulse or the Driptech when I stumbled across this. I had never heard of Reo. When I searched for reviews about them on Youtube there wasn't much. I checked out the Reo site and to be honest there isn't a lot on it that draws someone in and builds interest. Just my 2 cents

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I for one am glad that you posted it here. I took up squonking about a month ago and was searching for info on the Pulse or the Driptech when I stumbled across this. I had never heard of Reo. When I searched for reviews about them on Youtube there wasn't much. I checked out the Reo site and to be honest there isn't a lot on it that draws someone in and builds interest. Just my 2 cents

There web site is very old.. new owners are making a new web site currently. There sub forums on here are open once again.. plenty of info on there.

Very loved mod with a huge following.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
There web site is very old.. new owners are making a new web site currently. There sub forums on here are open once again.. plenty of info on there.

Very loved mod with a huge following.

I'm really glad I joined ECF. Lot's of info

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I personally think ALL mechanical mods brands/types will become even more niche in the coming years. squonkers, tubes, dual 18650, etc.

I love my Reos, Gus Mods, GP Paps, HoH and Atmomixani mechs and own and use multiples of each. Sorry, I wouldn't want to invest my own money in any of these companies though. Which sucks.

Squonking is currently cool and even cooler to the many vapers that want regulated, dual battery, priced WELL under $200, etc.

Just IMO of course...

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
I personally think ALL mechanical mods brands/types will become even more niche in the coming years. squonkers, tubes, dual 18650, etc.

I love my Reos, Gus Mods, GP Paps, HoH and Atmomixani mechs and own and use multiples of each. Sorry, I wouldn't want to invest my own money in any of these companies though. Which sucks.

Squonking is currently cool and even cooler to the many vapers that want regulated, dual battery, priced WELL under $200, etc.

Just IMO of course...

And the lack of regulated, dual battery squonkers in that price range is why I started considering mechs and the reason I am considering the Pulse

Reactions: BreSha6869

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

Just IMO of course...
I don't think any mechs will pass FDA approval. Applying doesn't mean granted. I think minimum will at least feature low volt cut off, reverse battery protection and short circuit protection.

I love mechs. But think the manufacture will be outside the USA in future. Or a few cowboy manufacturers

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I made suggestions to Rob years ago to make an updated, more ergonomic, higher liquid capacity bottom feed mod. Lo and behold Coppervape hit all the marks I had suggested. Since acquiring my Coppervape my REOs have been benched.

My first squonker (2012) was one I made, myself. Hammond box with DNA12, 18650, 10ml side squonker.

I'm eager for my first Therion DNA75c to arrive. I'm skeptical of the size increase due to regulated operation, but am optimistic that consistent vape will outweigh the needed pocket real estate.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I made suggestions to Rob years ago to make an updated, more ergonomic, higher liquid capacity bottom feed mod. Lo and behold Coppervape hit all the marks I had suggested. Since acquiring my Coppervape my REOs have been benched.
You understand that the Coppervape isn't exactly an original design, right?

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
You understand that the Coppervape isn't exactly an original design, right?
Well aware of Custom Classic. Unfortunately, I could not justify the expense, personally. It took me years to convince myself to buy a REO due to the price point.

Ironically, the CC came out after I mentioned the suggested improvements in Reoville. ?

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well aware of Custom Classic. Unfortunately, I could not justify the expense, personally.
I agree with you on the ergos. Every mod I've used regularly over the last 3 years has had that form factor. pdib's original batch pulled me in. Before I saw those, I had no interest in squonking. I did buy a Grand at one point, because no collection of squonkers is complete without one, right? It never got much use and I ended up PIFing it to a very deserving member here who had wanted one for a long time, but couldn't afford one. I also bought some Woodvils in 2015 and all but one has moved on. It doesn't see any use either. Here's why:

8OIxi8a.jpg

Both take an 18650 and the same size bottle. One of them is svelte, symmetrical, and ambidextrous. The other isn't any of those things.

That said, REOs mods made squonking popular, and without them having done that, I doubt most of the newer squonk mods would have come to exist.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
You guys must have some small hands! :)

The Therion bf 75c fits easy in the hand. Weight is a ton more then the reo. I personally like the shape of the grand more then the p67. That square shape gives my hands something to hold on to. The roundness of the p67 is hard to grip and wants to slide out of my hands.

The 1 rounded side and flat side is fine on the Therion.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Personally, regulated mods with chips inside don't appeal to me simply because I love the idea of being able to fix any problems myself with spare parts. For me, REO is what has worked best and most consistently throughout my 6 years of vaping. Owning several Grands and spare parts just in case is the end game for me. They will outlast me.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Personally, regulated mods with chips inside don't appeal to me simply because I love the idea of being able to fix any problems myself with spare parts. For me, REO is what has worked best and most consistently throughout my 6 years of vaping. Owning several Grands and spare parts just in case is the end game for me. They will outlast me.
That's exactly the position I'm in with the mods I use.

At one point, I was all about DNA regulated stuff. I even built some myself:

IBPvAzH.jpg

But when the boards in 'em failed, I decided it really wasn't worth the effort/hassle to replace 'em, despite the fact that I had spares in stock, because my mechs are a perfectly acceptable vape, don't fail, and would be trivially easy to fix if they did.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I agree with you on the ergos. Every mod I've used regularly over the last 3 years has had that form factor. pdib's original batch pulled me in. Before I saw those, I had no interest in squonking. I did buy a Grand at one point, because no collection of squonkers is complete without one, right? It never got much use and I ended up PIFing it to a very deserving member here who had wanted one for a long time, but couldn't afford one. I also bought some Woodvils in 2015 and all but one has moved on. It doesn't see any use either. Here's why:

8OIxi8a.jpg

Both take an 18650 and the same size bottle. One of them is svelte, symmetrical, and ambidextrous. The other isn't any of those things.

That said, REOs mods made squonking popular, and without them having done that, I doubt most of the newer squonk mods would have come to exist.
I just couldn't help but notice how well Rob matched the grain on the door to that mod! :thumb::cool:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

8OIxi8a.jpg

I agree with you about the Pdib Li’l Pinches. Peter made two for me, and I was fortunate enough to acquire two more from previous owners. 99% of my vaping is with them. My Reo Grands, Woodvils, and P67s mostly sit on the shelf. But I’m forever grateful for Rob’s pioneering mods getting me into squonking.

David R

Oct 13, 2017
Michigan
I'll start by saying that I am a huge fan of Reos Mods, and own five of them - two Grands and three P67s. Love them, and Reo is the granddaddy of squonking.

Lately, we have seen a ton of new budget squonkers being announced, as squonking is finally getting the attention it deserves. Until recently, I got the feeling that squonking was embraced by the "older" crowd (me included) and that the younger cloud-chasing vapers were not interested - though that appears to be rapidly changing as squonking becomes more mainstream. (Note that this is not a knock against cloud-chasing, and I enjoy a good fog myself.)

So, my question: With the advent of the budget (sub-$100) squonkers Geekvape Athena, Sentorian Ram, Vandy Vape Pulse, etc...what is the effect on the Reos Mods sales model, if any? Having been the benchmark for a looong time, and still one of the most durable and reliable squonk mods around, the Reo never really had any competition until now.

I'll be honest - I love my Reos and have always been a huge booster of their mods (still am), but I can't see myself buying another when there are so many other intriguing choices hitting the market. My future dollars will likely go elsewhere, if only for variety.

I hope that Reos Mods is around forever, but can't help but think that with all of the other mods competing for one segment of the market that Reos Mods will suffer. Remember what happened to ProVape - a slow (no?) reaction to a changing market was their demise. So what is the answer?...lower prices?...new product?...will the competition even affect Reos Mods?

Personally, I would love to see a colorful resin P67.

Thoughts?
Wow, I'm new here, and I'm not afraid to admit that I have never heard of REO. (Other than the rock group lol) I squonk, and started about 6 months ago. I am on a fixed income and have to be very cautious with my spending. I would love to have a fully mechanical squonk mod with resin this or 3D that, but I can't afford it. Right now I have 1 squonker, the old Steam Crave. I got for $25. I am planning on getting the Pulse. I do have both the Pulse 22 and 24. Recently, I purchased the Recoil Rebel, and in squonk mode, this thing kicks the crap out of the Pulse attys. I plan on checking out REO and others discussed here to expand my Squonking world. Thank you for that.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Wow, I'm new here, and I'm not afraid to admit that I have never heard of REO. (Other than the rock group lol) I squonk, and started about 6 months ago. I am on a fixed income and have to be very cautious with my spending. I would love to have a fully mechanical squonk mod with resin this or 3D that, but I can't afford it. Right now I have 1 squonker, the old Steam Crave. I got for $25. I am planning on getting the Pulse. I do have both the Pulse 22 and 24. Recently, I purchased the Recoil Rebel, and in squonk mode, this thing kicks the crap out of the Pulse attys. I plan on checking out REO and others discussed here to expand my Squonking world. Thank you for that.

One can score a reo in the classys all the time for around a $100 or less.

• Agree
Reactions: TraderX

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Pm me your address....you're now the proud owner of a stab wood REO Woodville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread