loud music killing batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
It's weird because this particular model e-cig as NO AIR PASSAGE through the battery, it's sealed. How strange.

You know, I wondered the same thing... on my soon to be ex Eaze Magnum, there are air holes at the LED end between the battery and the LED cover. I think the LED cover on the 401 must let air through, how else could it light up when you blow on it?

ibdno

Feb 22, 2009
nc
I found if you place a small amount of foam pad inbetween the battery and atomizer, this will cut down the amount of time the little light is on and of course the atomizer is firing up.... You have to tap the end twice as hard to get it to start.... you still get a good vape and the draw is just abit harder....not much ...depending on the foam amount used i guess....to much no draw at all....
I could tap the end of penstyle or blow on the end and it would stay lit up for the count of 6....the atomizer sizzling and hot....could not hold the ecig in mouth for my normal inhale and exhale would keep this thing fired up..... This has been reduced a lot by doing this.....
Long term effect has not been determined. but it should help the life of the atomizer if it is staying cool like it is.....and battery should stay charged longer....not lighting up as often or as long...... just my 2 cents.....
If this has already be said or done.....sorry for the repeat.....

burnt

Moved On
Jan 30, 2009
The "airflow sensor" is nothing more than a microphone. It's the same part that is used in phone handsets. We have developed a transducer for our batteries that is equalized and filtered in the circuitry so that extraneous noise will be blocked by frequency. Though wind will still be a problem if it's significant (15mph and up). Don't smoke it on your Harley or crotch-rocket.

We're finalizing the exact specs for the revised circuit board to fit 8mm and 9mm batteries and submitting the patent revisions in China this week. You can't just swap out the transducer, you'll need to replace the LED chip as well. Of course our batts will be complete so that won't be necessary and the price will remain the same. We are considering making it for other devices as a better replacement battery. Stay tuned.

ibdno

Feb 22, 2009
nc
RjG, its a fine line between putting to much to having just right.... I quess the treads are helping a little on the connection....but the conection is there somehow,,, Its crazy but it helps.... The amount of foam is about the size of a half a pea....maybe smaller....it is mashed down when the battery and atomizer is tight... but it seems to be pourous enough to allow air to flow through...and maybe allow a connection.... you do loose a little draw but it doesnt keep atomizing for 3or4 seconds afterwards.... \\
the foam is not thick or solid, it is fluffy if you will....lol......by the time you press it or squeeze it it is small or thin....
I just put a little in and tried it....pinch a little off and tried it... till it worked like i wanted it to.....

ed_bollix

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2008
Royal Oak, Michigan usa
All my EVO batteries do this sound pressure thing. I pack a 901 and plenty of spare batteries when venturing into loud, bass intensive environments. I am working on a design incorporating a flux capacitor directly into the atomizer to increase power and reduce sound pressure... Still trying to work out the 1.21 gigawatt issue.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
GREAT SCOTT!! 1.21 gigawatts???

yeah, not sure who "burnt" is or what that post is about.

i don't think these batteries have microphones in them, i think somewhere some lingo got screwed, possibly from microprocessor to "mic" or someone abbreviated and now the stigma is stuck...i dunno. it was one of those rumors that after the replies from the users (and from igetcha sending me a LOL" about it when i asked him) i really just think the switch is uber sensitive to vibration, not to "noise."

if it was a mic, and picked up noise, when i'm blasting music at my PC or playing games, the loud gunshots and screaming and such (games and music) would certainly set it off, and it doesn't. generally my pc doesn't pump enough bass to do it, and my home entertainment sub isn't hitting hard enough to set it off either.

i was thinking though...there must be a way to "dampen" the vibrations, like, the way recording studios pad rooms to block sound. plus they make dampening foam for cars/trunks to stop rattling...but i don't know that any of that would make a difference for a cig battery since the end is always going to be exposed, and...following elementary school science, sound travels in waves and could still get in there.

i guess.

:)

maybe next time i will try keeping it squeezed in my hand and see if it sets off with the thick bass.

ibdno

Feb 22, 2009
nc
flitzanu is mostly right about the mic thing....but a microphone just picks up vibrations any way.. either way, I/me putting the foam in maybe damping the sound or echo vibration in between the two pieces.... Maybe we can squirt some of that foam spray in the battery to give it insulation.....ha.....might be a fire hazard though....well im sure they will come up with some new and improved for us to use.... until then keep on vaping................

Terraphon is right... someone needs to write to SJ and have him get burnt's IP address and figure out which supplier this is who is trying to blast JC (or we could just wait to see who comes out with VG juice next (not you jaaxx) and check their IP address since that would be a pretty good reason for blasting JC).

The "airflow sensor" is nothing more than a microphone. It's the same part that is used in phone handsets. We have developed a transducer for our batteries that is equalized and filtered in the circuitry so that extraneous noise will be blocked by frequency. Though wind will still be a problem if it's significant (15mph and up). Don't smoke it on your Harley or crotch-rocket.

We're finalizing the exact specs for the revised circuit board to fit 8mm and 9mm batteries and submitting the patent revisions in China this week. You can't just swap out the transducer, you'll need to replace the LED chip as well. Of course our batts will be complete so that won't be necessary and the price will remain the same. We are considering making it for other devices as a better replacement battery. Stay tuned.

udave

ECF Veteran
The "airflow sensor" is nothing more than a microphone.

Burnt's post here after his blasting of Johnson Creek elsewhere on the forum sure make him look like a supplier pretending not to be a supplier.

Now, I am not defending burnt's posts here or anywhere else, but he is right about the microphone thing, at least on some batteries. I've taken apart an epuffer battery and the "airflow sensor" was in fact just a tiny microphone like you would find in a phone headset or microcassette recorder. I even removed the sensor from the battery, soldered on a 1/4" jack, and used it as a microphone plugged into an amplifier. It makes sense, a mic is a simple component to use for sensing vibrations to activate the battery.

So... I went to see Watchmen today. I vaped during the movie (2 hrs 40 min long!) and when I opened my case to get out my Pilot.. one of the batteries fell out and I didn't notice. After the movie (which I really liked by the way!) I went to put away my Pilot and the extra battery was GONE! I freaked out... I checked the floor, my pockets, I used my phone to light up under the seat... no battery!

SO... I thought about the air/vibration sensitivity and I started fanning my coat at the floor (blowing air around) and low and behold... I saw a blue light on the ledge between the seats!!! There was no way I was sticking my hand between movie theater seats so I shook the seat and let it fall on the floor. Put it in a ziplock baggie for later sterilization... and was THRILLED not to have lost an extra battery while Steve is moving and I can't order more... woohoo!!!

Yay for sensitive batteries!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread