Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Rain continues, and it's real rain :) Near 1 1/4" here so far, sorely needed. Happy to let the dandelions get taller.

I hope she has something that needs to be done tomorrow. I need to have a productive day.

Yes, doing something "productive" can help. Sort of.

1714138773712.png

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
As I usually handle stress, I needed to be productive. They have a long boat ramp and I used her weedeater and cleaned it all up down one side. She was very pleased and appreciative. It got up to 86 today but beside the Duck River, there seems to be a good breeze. I sweated but did not get too hot.

Mrs. Rochelle brought me supper again—beef stroganoff. I thought I would have some leftovers for tomorrow but when I got started, I ate it all. I guess I worked up an appetite.

Mrs. Rochelle wants me to stay for a bit and she may get her wish. They are calling for some rain next week and that is one thing I do not want to drive in since it is such a long trip. I brought extra stuff because I thought it would be a great place to relax but it seems like I think of Ken everywhere I look.

They have a guinea named Jenny and that bird follows the cat wherever it goes. If the cat runs, so does the bird. Tonight when I was sitting on the deck I could see a skunk over on Mrs. Rochelle's porch. The guinea ran it off. She throws food out for all the critters. It wasn't long till the opossum started heading to her house. I have seen my first armadilloes too. They are strange-looking things. It is beautiful here if you love nature as I do. I didn't hear the coyotes last night like we did when we stayed in Ken's camper.

Well, that is enough "Rat Ramblings" for the night.
RatYes.gif

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
As I usually handle stress, I needed to be productive. They have a long boat ramp and I used her weedeater and cleaned it all up down one side. She was very pleased and appreciative. It got up to 86 today but beside the Duck River, there seems to be a good breeze. I sweated but did not get too hot.

Mrs. Rochelle brought me supper again—beef stroganoff. I thought I would have some leftovers for tomorrow but when I got started, I ate it all. I guess I worked up an appetite.

Mrs. Rochelle wants me to stay for a bit and she may get her wish. They are calling for some rain next week and that is one thing I do not want to drive in since it is such a long trip. I brought extra stuff because I thought it would be a great place to relax but it seems like I think of Ken everywhere I look.

They have a guinea named Jenny and that bird follows the cat wherever it goes. If the cat runs, so does the bird. Tonight when I was sitting on the deck I could see a skunk over on Mrs. Rochelle's porch. The guinea ran it off. She throws food out for all the critters. It wasn't long till the opossum started heading to her house. I have seen my first armadilloes too. They are strange-looking things. It is beautiful here if you love nature as I do. I didn't hear the coyotes last night like we did when we stayed in Ken's camper.

Well, that is enough "Rat Ramblings" for the night. View attachment 1011954
I'm going to admit I've never seen an armadillo.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina

Me too and I live in middle TN. Didn't know we had them here.
Gosh, that makes me feel better. I figured it was just me since I have never traveled much. Until I saw them here in TN, I never knew we had them in NC. They are more to the western part of the state. You learn something every day.
1YES.gif

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Good morning all. I have already had my coffee out on the deck. I love sitting there and watching the Duck River flow by. Ken and I have looked at a bunch of land for sale up here. That is what we did every time we came for a visit. I told him the only stipulation I had was that there would have to be running water. I doubt I would have ever found a place any more perfect than right where I am at.

They have 3 platforms down at the water. I am not sure what they are called, Ken had built the floating platform that rises and falls with the river. I think I am going to clean up around there today for me to keep busy. It is so nice not to have to burn brush like I do at home. They have a big fire pit down there but I just toss it the river and watch it go down stream.

I like to fish but I don't like to catch anything. From the sound of fish jumping down there, there would be some easy fishing for someone who likes to catch stuff. They have some big fish around here.

Here is a pic of Ken's daughter and one she threw back into the Tennessee River. I am not sure if that is a normal size but it looks huge to me. This was the last pic she sent to her dad.

8214.jpeg I think Ken said it was a catfish but I can't remember.

Yep, I'm rambling again!
Crazy.gif
Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I am going to be busy again. (fingers crossed) :wub:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Rain continues :) although shifting to scattered showers. Heck, they're even talking about snow down to about 2500' on Monday! Late snow pack is good!!

the only stipulation I had was that there would have to be running water. I

And electricity :)

1714224214654.png

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Well, this has been a productive day. Mike went fishing this morning with a new club in our new town. Too crowded on the stream though so he came home and we went to Lowe's to get enough cedar boards to build a 4 x 8' raised garden bed in our front yard. There's too many trees and rocks to attempt to dig a new garden so this is the next best thing.

Then we got cleaned up and drove to our daughter's house so we could go watch Hux play his baseball game. It would have been more fun except it was 57 degrees with spritzing rain. Too cold!! They only play 3 innings and that was plenty. It's surprising how well the 7 & 8 year olds played. One little boy on Hux's team had, I think, cerebral palsy and it was so heartening to see how the spectators, coaches and the teams cheered him on and helped him be a part of the game. He was so excited and happy!

As much fun as it was to watch the game we couldn't wait to get in the car and blast the heater. We got home and while I made dinner Mike made one last fire in our fireplace. Tomorrow it's going to be 83 degrees and we're probably going to see some sun. The next 10 days weill be n the 70s and 80s so I'll have to do a final, final clean out of the fireplace tomorrow. At least we'll have less firewood to carry out to the wood pile. Looks like we'll have enough wood to get us through next winter out there.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
@Rat2chat2 Tory, despite our busy day today you've been on my mind all day. Prayers and peaceful vibes are being sent your way.

Funny thing, when my sister lived in Florida she would sometimes tell me about the armadillos they had there. Every time I visited I looked for them, but to this day I've never seen one walking around, I used to tease her that they were a figment of her imagination. I did see what I thought was one that was pretty well squashed on the road, but that one doesn't count.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Tory, despite our busy day today you've been on my mind all day. Prayers and peaceful vibes are being sent your way.
Thank you so much.
DrawHeart.gif
Send some more tomorrow to get me through the funeral. I think I have gotten everything taken care of.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I was up at 5 and out cleaning Mrs. Rochelle's fire pit by 6. I love just being able to throw stuff in the river. I used her weedeater and went around the whole house and all the steps and patios. I hope this nervous energy sticks around when I get home. I could get the house emptied in no time at all. The only problem is I have nowhere to go and no one to go there with. I will figure out something.

Mrs. Rochelle invited me over for supper. I keep telling her I have stuff to fix and she does not have to feed me. But she is a good cook and I have really enjoyed and appreciated everything she has fixed.

She told me about some water iris that Ken dug up and replanted for her around this little pond. So I asked her if she would help me fix an arrangement for tomorrow. She fixed a beautiful ribbon and she is going to come arrange them tomorrow morning after I go cut some.
iris.jpg

I think it will look nice lying on the casket. I told Ken's father and daughter if they wanted to get some flowers for Ken they could but they said it was no big deal because Ken didn't care for flowers. That is not true. I just shook my head. It seems like they could have offered to do some little thing. That's okay because I think I remembered everything. At least I hope so.

I am looking forward to seeing some of the people I have talked on the phone with but I will be glad when this is behind me. I'll let you know how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :wub:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
The skunk came back tonight and stayed a long time. He has a pretty healthy appetite. He eats the cat's food and the guinea and then heads to eat what falls out of the birdfeeder. He is so cute.
skunk.jpg

They have lots of bluebirds here but there is a little yellow bird (I think a warbler) that seems to follow me around for some reason.

yellowbird.jpg

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
@Rat2chat2 The water Iris around the pond are beautiful. How appropriate to make a bouquet for the casket. How sweet of you to think of it.

Our friend once had a pet skunk, Stinky. When we'd come to visit Stinky would greet us at the door and stamp her feet and turn around like she was going to spray us! One NY Eve John had his sister babysit for them. When she went to bed she was freaked out at the snoring she heard and looked all over to find the source. Even went outside by the window. Finally she discovered that that Stinky was curled up, hibernating under the bed and was snoring just like a person would!

I think you're right about that little yellow bird being a warbler. How pretty she is! If she follows you around maybe she thinks you're going to feed her? You could sit quietly with some birdseed in your hand and see if she'll land. I did that once in the pocono mountains one winter and had chickadees eating out of my hand so it's possible.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Morning, all.

Another wet day on the agenda, although between fronts atm. Still below average precip, but getting better.

When she went to bed she was freaked out at the snoring she heard and looked all over to find the source. Even went outside by the window. Finally she discovered that that Stinky was curled up, hibernating under the bed and was snoring just like a person would!

My cat snores :)

1714311924510.png

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Everything feels so strange. I turned on the tv this morning and a Sunsetter awning commercial was on. Ken installed those for years. He has even gotten some call since I met him.

Then I pulled up my email. Everyday I get an email with a new word to learn. You are not going to believe this but today's word was. . . ken. Yes, it is really a word. When I showed that email to Mrs. Rochelle she had the funniest look on her face. Isn't that something?

I am all ready to go. Of course, I am going to get there early. I'm always early because weird things happen to me and I don't want to be late.

That was the best shower today. I was so dirty. I had to wash my hair 3 times. I got my feet as clean as I could. I've been going barefooted. I am looking forward to seeing people but I will still be glad when it is over.

I am in Hurricane Mills, TN. His daughter and father live in Hixson which is 3 1/2 hours away. It is close to Chattanooga. I honestly do not have anything to say. Well, I have lots I want to say but I will keep it to myself (and y'all, heehee)

Thank you all for caring and understanding and as always, putting up with me.
blinking.gif

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Then I pulled up my email. Everyday I get an email with a new word to learn. You are not going to believe this but today's word was. . . ken. Yes, it is really a word. When I showed that email to Mrs. Rochelle she had the funniest look on her face. Isn't that something?

Serendipity :)

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Everything feels so strange. I turned on the tv this morning and a Sunsetter awning commercial was on. Ken installed those for years. He has even gotten some call since I met him.

I am all ready to go. Of course, I am going to get there early. I'm always early because weird things happen to me and I don't want to be late.

That was the best shower today. I was so dirty. I had to wash my hair 3 times. I got my feet as clean as I could. I've been going barefooted. I am looking forward to seeing people but I will still be glad when it is over.

I am in Hurricane Mills, TN. His daughter and father live in Hixson which is 3 1/2 hours away. It is close to Chattanooga. I honestly do not have anything to say. Well, I have lots I want to say but I will keep it to myself (and y'all, heehee)

Thank you all for caring and understanding and as always, putting up with me. View attachment 1012052
    Didn't know you would be so close to me. Been thinking about you all day. Why Hurricane Mills? I thought Ken was from some other city.

Users who are viewing this thread