Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    In my city vape shop doesnt have a khantal wire , they only have nichrome wire which has low ohm , i want to mtl style vape , can i use low watt with low ohm coil??

Yeah n80 wire will work fine for a mtl coil. Get 28gauge if you can. It's only slightly lower in resistance than kanthal. You can make the same ohm coil - just add an extra wrap or two.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Well the vape shop only have 24 awg

well that sucks ;) Can you order online instead? the problem with 24gauge at low wattage is it will take forever to heat up.

28gauge kanthal or N80 wire would work a lot better

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Well the vape shop only have 24 awg
    It’s not impossible to do it with 24g. It will take a fairly long coil though to get it to a good ohm rating, and @AngeNZ is dead right about the long ramp up time. Coil will be big enough it won’t fit in some attys. What atty you using?

Scherzhertz

Jul 6, 2019
    It’s not impossible to do it with 24g. It will take a fairly long coil though to get it to a good ohm rating, and @AngeNZ is dead right about the long ramp up time. Coil will be big enough it won’t fit in some attys. What atty you using?
    I use convergent rda with mtl airguide , and mtl need long ramp up time isnt it?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I use convergent rda with mtl airguide , and mtl need long ramp up time isnt it?
    Normally no. One of the nice things about MTL is it generally doesn’t. That thick 24g wire will only heat so fast though and you’re going to need quite a bit of it to get the ohms up. 28g is really much preferable. Only bright side is that thick coil will take forever to wear out.

That’s a big giant single coil RDA though. You should have plenty of room for a long coil.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    Just so we know we're talking about the same thing, ramp up time is how long it takes the coil to heat up enough to produce good vapor.
    MTL does not have to be long ramp up. Higher resistance at low wattage with simple coils can ramp up pretty fast. It's all about the mass of the coil. Bigger coil takes more power to heat the same as a small coil.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Just so we know we're talking about the same thing, ramp up time is how long it takes the coil to heat up enough to produce good vapor.
    MTL does not have to be long ramp up. Higher resistance at low wattage with simple coils can ramp up pretty fast. It's all about the mass of the coil. Bigger coil takes more power to heat the same as a small coil.
    You got it. Thinner wire makes for a smaller coil.

Was just poking about on my coilbuilder app. 2.5mm coil with 10 wraps of that 24g would give you around a bit over .6ohm, which is about as low a resistance and as high a coil diameter as you can go for MTL. Kind of pushing it really.
    Even 14 wraps would get you barely over .8, and that’s a long long coil. If they get too long they don’t feed juice all the way to the center of the coil and the wick dries out and burns.

If you had 28ga an 8 wrap coil of that diameter would be near 1.1ohm. Much easier to deal with

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    Thats why you dont build for resistance on a regulated mod. If 24G is all you have you´d be much better off building a small coil with low resistance then building a huge one which will take forever to heat up.
    Get this: Resistance doesnt matter.

Get thinner wire. There is no other way getting a good mtl/low power vape.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    Get this: Resistance doesnt matter.

Get thinner wire. There is no other way getting a good mtl/low power vape.
    I have never really understood the relationship between resistance and the style of vaping (MTL or DL). More or less by accident, I started MTL vaping with very low resistance coils (Ni200 30Ga, 0.10 or even less) and it always worked out fine for me.
    So you're saying it's all about ramp up time?

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    I have never really understood the relationship between resistance and the style of vaping (MTL or DL). More or less by accident, I started MTL vaping with very low resistance coils (Ni200 30Ga, 0.10 or even less) and it always worked out fine for me.
    So you're saying it's all about ramp up time?
    Ramp up is a part of it. Large/big mass coils are worthless if you intend to throw 10 Watts at them. If you try to mtl and just use more Watts to get them going, the limited airflow doesnt cool that huge coil enough, resulting in hot whiffs of thin vapor. Thats not a good vape.

You have to build your coil with those things in mind first and foremost. What resistance you end up with is totally irrelevant (unless you use a Mech); the size and mass must be fitting to your airflow and intended power. Again, do yourself a favor and forget about resistance.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    Ramp up is a part of it. Large/big mass coils are worthless if you intend to throw 10 Watts at them. If you try to mtl and just use more Watts to get them going, the limited airflow doesnt cool that huge coil enough, resulting in hot whiffs of thin vapor. Thats not a good vape.

You have to build your coil with those things in mind first and foremost. What resistance you end up with is totally irrelevant (unless you use a Mech); the size and mass must be fitting to your airflow and intended power. Again, do yourself a favor and forget about resistance.
    So if you’re saying ‘big mass’ coil, this means a coil with a lot of wire (eg Clapton and or lots of wraps) or a thick wire?
    Now I understand...the first time when I bought wire, I went to a vape shop, and the owner had a look at my tank before he sold me a 30Ga spool. Ever since I have stuck with thin wires, and I build simple coils with just 5 wraps. That’s why I’ve always been happy with my vape experience, I guess...

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    So what i need? A small coil with small resistance or big coil/long coil with high resistance?

You need thinner wire - 28 gauge, Kanthal, N80 or SS316l. Depending on the RTA/RDA you'd use a 2.5mm id or 3mm id coil. The number of wraps you use, is according to what ohms you want your coil to be.

I do a mtl 2.5mm id ss316l 6 wrap coil which comes out around 0.6ohms. I vape that at 15w - because of the thin wire - it heats up immediately (ramp up).

The same 2.5mm id 6 wrap coil in 28ga N80 would be 0.9ohm. Using kanthal a1 it would be 1.2ohm

Reactions: stols001

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Look at that page. The heat capacity on a .4Ω coil (~ 7 wraps) with that material would be an intense MTL experience unless your tank has a lot of airflow. I'm not familiar with the Convergent RDA.

I'm using a .56Ω coil in a Berserker Mini and it's warm and flavorful, but it doesn't get my tank hot. The Berserker has a tight airflow system. I had to understand the tank's airflow before I found what I liked. I don't like coils with a heat capacity greater than 20 mJ/K in it.

This is the coil I'm using:
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I do a mtl 2.5mm id ss316l 6 wrap coil which comes out around 0.6ohms. I vape that at 15w - because of the thin wire - it heats up immediately (ramp up).

The same 2.5mm id 6 wrap coil in 28ga N80 would be 0.9ohm. Using kanthal a1 it would be 1.2ohm
    Or if you want to go ultra-low, the same coil in Ni200 30Ga would be about 0.07 Ohm (close to the lower limit of most devices)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread