The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

LR on HV?

Discussion in 'Cartomizers' started by CthulhuSaves, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CthulhuSaves

CthulhuSaves Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2011
    Kansas
    Hey guys,

I'm finally about to break down and buy a vv mod, and am curious if I can use LR cartomizers on it. Basically, would I be able to use, say, 1.5 or 2.0 ohm cartos on something running 5 or 6 volts? Or would I need to get high res cartos? I've never messed with HV before. My experience has been your typical 2.6-2.7 (ish) ohms on 3.7v, so this is new territory for me.

Edit: And I'd certainly appreciate any advice concerning dual-coil cartos. I really would rather not blow anything up. lol

Thanks. :)

2. Killjoy1

Killjoy1 Ω Destroyer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    New Hampshire, US
    Dual coils can handle higher voltages just fine since they consist of two higher ohm coils in parallel, but in order to run LR attys on a higher voltage you'll need to keep your atty good and wet at all times

What VV mod are you getting? keep in mind that with some devices you won't be able to hit higher voltages with lower resistances (including dual coils) due to the current limitations.

3. donnah

donnah Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I use vv devices and the only carto I use anymore is the 1.7ohm smoktech, also known as the resurrector. I usually run it at 4v on my provari. Having a variable voltage device isn't so much about "high voltage" vaping for me. I love my vv devices mainly because I get regulated, consistant voltage till the batts discharge. That means I can vape at 4v and the voltage won't go down as the batts do (unless you use a LT). As my carto is already low resistance, I don't need to go up to 5 or 6 volts. while I enjoyed the 1.7 on my 3.7v devices, It would start out great and then get lower and lower. So go ahead and use your LR stuff and if you want to try higher resistance attys/cartos buy them also.

I use this particular type/resistance carto because it
    a) works and wicks great in a tank
    b) is cheap
    c) comes in stainless steel and is easy to punch
    d) Is xxl and I can use it in the 1 1/2 inch tanks (DC tanks)

4. CthulhuSaves

Apr 21, 2011
    Kansas
    I'm actually hoping to kill two birds with one stone, here. For myself, I'm gonna get a Lavatube. Just love that it can be adjusted by 0.1 increments (and has a range of 3v-6v). I also have a friend who just got his first PT (5v) and really likes it. He sits at a desk all day, so it's ideal, and I'm not sure what to advise him the best ohm rating would be for cartos. He's been using the same stuff I've been using.

Anywho, it's not that I particularly care about high voltage, it's just that I want to be able to try various voltages, to see where the "sweet spot" is for different juices. A lot of juices taste very bland to me, so hopefully I'll be able to find voltages that'll bring them into my "taste range," for lack of a better term. But I'm afraid of damaging the hardware if I don't get cartos that are meant to be used at certain voltages.

5. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    I use 1.5 ohm dual coils on my variable wattage Darwin and it provides a really nice vape. There really isn't any need to use LR attys/cartos on a VV model PV. I vape between 4.5 volts - 5.0 volts. Once you have experienced the warmer vapor at 4.5v+, the cold vapor at 3.7v just doesn't cut it to me.

6. CthulhuSaves

Apr 21, 2011
    Kansas
    I guess I'd gotten it into my head that if one were using high voltage, there would also be the need to use a higher resistance, and that low resistance would fry the carto (and maybe even damage the PV).

7. Scotay87

Scotay87 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Low resistance was created or came about to bring the experience of HV vaping of SR or higher resistance equipment but on a 3.7v or lower (eGos) instead of stacking batteries and whatnot to get the HV experience. To do this they started making atties/cartos with an LR coil that is more frigile to get the lower ohms which also equates to a shorter lifespan. The great thing about VV is you can use higher resistance equipment that will/should have a longer life span and dial your vape to your liking and not fry it giving it more power. LT is great but not without a few short comings but overall a nice device for the money unless you are a die hard 5.5v + die hard vaper. For the LT 3 ohm stuff is the preffered and will/should be fine for your buddy with a PT. I would suggest a multimeter and an inline meter so you can check actual ohmage so you can maximize his vape and see where you are at plus its fun to play...

I love my LT/VV so much I really wish that I would have taken the plunge long ago and splurged on a Pro Vari and saved me few bills....

8. mke67

mke67 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2011
    Englewood, NJ

BEFORE you purchase a "lavatube" see Pete Busardos breakdown so you know what to expect.
    A PBusardo Review - VZ VV Tube Mod (AKA Lavatube) Full vs. Mini - Vaping Zone - YouTube

9. Frick

Frick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2011
    Ohio
  10. mke67

mke67 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2011
    Englewood, NJ
    I know, don't know why I wrote Pete. Thanks for the correction...:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.