LRs and eGo Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmiol

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2011
Costa Rica
Im with 2 PVs now. One is a Boge Rev 2.1 which can take LRs easily.

The other one, which surpised me, was a Kanger KR808D-1 380mah auto battery on a Boge LR 2.0ohm carto. The vape is amazing and the battery is inexpensive. Ive been vaping this setup for over 2 months and no failure so far. For the price of the battery even if it died today it already did what I expected.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Here is what seems to be happening when eGo batteries fail from excess current draw. On the photos you can see (aside from mechanical damage from extracting the circuit board) that R4 and R5 have fried. It's pretty obvious on sight to anyone who's worked with surface-mount parts. So it's not even the MOSFET. These little resistors in the output path are overheating. That might be preventable by not holding the switch down as long.
IMG_1329xm.jpg IMG_1327xm.jpg

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Here is what seems to be happening when eGo batteries fail from excess current draw. On the photos you can see (aside from mechanical damage from extracting the circuit board) that R4 and R5 have fried. It's pretty obvious on sight to anyone who's worked with surface-mount parts. So it's not even the MOSFET. These little resistors in the output path are overheating. That might be preventable by not holding the switch down as long.
View attachment 58878 View attachment 58879

To me it's like red lining an engine, sooner or later something will go bling :)

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
This must be the most educational thread I've seen so far (although the one about adjusting the 510-808 adapter has been the most practical) I'd formed the opinion that LR carto's kill eGo type batteries, or at least shorten their life; I'm still of that opinion, but I didn't know that holding down the button too long could kill them too; I still have a few 808 carto's that I use, but the draw was hard so I had to hold down the button longer-the adapter adjustment tip fixed that, so I'm less worried about killing my batteries that way. I know my Inferno won't last forever, but at around $20 for an eGo type battery, I'm still saving money over cigarettes, even the RYO's I was doing before going to vaping.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I'm just curious about what happens inside the battery if too few ohms or too many amps are drawn from the protected battery.

Can I safely throw 1.5 ohms on this system?
As a battery is used, a certain amount of rock content forms in the battery. It is called rock content as these ions are no longer capable to do work. e.g rocks do not soak up water.

As a battery is used, more and more rock content is generated (this is normal). What we see then is that the battery no longer holds a charge for as long. This is normal. As the rock content builds up so does the internal resistance in the battery towards current flow. This is also normal. The harder a battery has to work the more ions it expends to produce work increasing rock content. As internal resistance in the battery increases, current flow decreases. When the current demand exceeds current delivery, that is known as stressing the battery.

When we stress a battery, we are increasing the rock content of a battery exponentially due to the aforementioned observations.

What is internal resistance in a battery and where does it come from?
Lithium-ion batteries lose capacity through cell oxidation (cholesterol), a process that occurs naturally during normal battery use and aging. As the battery ages, internal resistance (cholesterol) increases as well. This increase in cholesterol (internal resistance) leads to plaque build up and when sufficient build up occurs. This results in a plugged artery/battery or, a battery that can no longer deliver current sufficiently to meet the workload. Not dissimilar to someone having a heart condition having difficulty going up a flight of stairs.

Does internal resistance decrease the amount of usable energy in a battery?

Yes it does. It reduces the battery's overall charge capacity. Three imaginary sections of a battery consisting of available energy, empty zone and rock content. With use and age, the rock content grows.

I have heard a term “stressing a battery”. What, if any, effect does stressing a battery have?
The short answer is rapid ageing due the increase build up of cholesterol (or internal resistance), in this particular case caused by excessive work demands. These excessive work demands increase the creation of internal resistance (cholesterol) exponentially, leading to an increased plaque build up (the rock zone).

Is stressing a battery dangerous?
Yes, emphatically so.

What could be the results of a stressed/over-stressed battery?
In milder cases, the build up of plaque results in a plugged artery and possible heart failure, or in our case the battery will no longer hold a charge or deliver current.

In severe cases clogged arteries can lead to aneurisms and death. In our application, should the protection circuit fail, and we have a stressed battery, which translates to an over-current condition, the battery may vent or even explode. Vape Central: Battery - FAQ

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
There's no simple answer about 1.5 ohms. A brief drain at 2.2 Amps (3.4 v / 1.5 ohm = 2.2 Amp) will not kill the battery, but 2.2 Amps is over the line for a 14500 or smaller cell, it does stress it. It shortens its life. That's just a more frequent replacement cost issue.

But also, as you hold the switch down, the parts on the eGo switch circuit board warm up, then heat up, and then pop. It's not designed for a 2.2 Amp load. It's not the FET that usually fails, it's a pair of tiny resistors. The longer the switch is held, the more things heat up. If there's no X second cutoff, and you hold it down, it will burn up for sure. At that rate you could be replacing the eGo battery unit every 5 minutes, even though the battery itself is fine.

Let things cool down a bit between on-cycles. But even then, the more you do it, the greater the chance of failure. It's eGo roulette. What is truly safe? Somewhere around 2.2 ohms, maybe as low as 2.0 ohms, surely not 1.5 ohms. That's why I like the Echo-E Dual Coil Cartomizers so much, they give great vapor on an eGo battery at 2.2 ohms, with a 2.5 ml capacity, and looks to match.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
There's no simple answer about 1.5 ohms. A brief drain at 2.2 Amps (3.4 v / 1.5 ohm = 2.2 Amp) will not kill the battery, but 2.2 Amps is over the line for a 14500 or smaller cell, it does stress it. It shortens its life. That's just a more frequent replacement cost issue.

But also, as you hold the switch down, the parts on the eGo switch circuit board warm up, then heat up, and then pop. It's not designed for a 2.2 Amp load. It's not the FET that usually fails, it's a pair of tiny resistors. The longer the switch is held, the more things heat up. If there's no X second cutoff, and you hold it down, it will burn up for sure. At that rate you could be replacing the eGo battery unit every 5 minutes, even though the battery itself is fine.

Let things cool down a bit between on-cycles. But even then, the more you do it, the greater the chance of failure. It's eGo roulette. What is truly safe? Somewhere around 2.2 ohms, maybe as low as 2.0 ohms, surely not 1.5 ohms. That's why I like the Echo-E Dual Coil Cartomizers so much, they give great vapor on an eGo battery at 2.2 ohms, with a 2.5 ml capacity, and looks to match.

Unfortunately you can't apply dual coil techno in that analogy. If they are 2.2Ohms (each coil) then you are asking for 3.4A. OTOH if they are 4.4Ohm in parallel = 2.2Ohm, you are fine 1.6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread