Lung Damage, Lowered Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
Well, I know I could only refute that from my own personal experience when I finally switched to vaping for good. I had quit for 4 years (smoking), and like an idiot started again last August. (stressful time, and I handnt found my vaping Nirvana) I started a new job in January. To get to my desk I have to climb two flights of stairs of about 15 steps each. I noticed by about March, I was starting to get winded going up those stairs in the morning, and that freaked me out. Determined to quit (again) and starting to explore vaping (again) and found that much had changed since Id been out. Even then it was a struggle to find the right mix of, strength, base (pg/vg) gear and vendor. I can happily say that I quit again in March and have been pretty exclusively vaping since. I can now say I am no longer winded going up those stairs. Nothing majorly scientific there, but hey thats a huge plus...

The only thing I worry about now is the over exposure towards nicotine. Its just to easy to chain vape without thinking about it really. I have been pretty buzzed at times for lack of a better word. Its tough because I crave throat hit. 12MG was pretty strong I found. Im at 7MG now, which I find is kind of lackluster for the throat hit, and find Im hitting it more since Im not satisfied. Tried the WTA, but that did all sorts of weird things to me, so no thanks.

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Ive read people add capsaicin to their low-no nic juices for throat hit. They say its tasteless, but I.have no personal experience. Ofc be very careful with that stuff. Treat it like nicotine when handling.

I never like it and never considered it a replacement for throat hit, you can feel tiny needles in your throat hit, it's a different feeling. Same thing with Flash.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm still craving the smokes, but resisting the temptation as I've quit for harm reduction. Though I've never had the smoker's cough, I get winded easily. Reading about lung function improvement is motivational.

Keep resisting, if you are able. Vape more!!!! You will find you lungs improving pretty swiftly. Mine did, after 45 years of smoking. My lungs are wonderful now. Been vaping for over 5 years. Good Luck and keep up the good work. :)

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Missouri
Were you a former smoker?

If the argument is being framed as VAPING vs.SMOKING it is much simpler to answer.

If the argument is being framed as VAPING vs. NOT VAPING then the answer is there is no answer. Researchers are trying to catch up to the industry to answer this and many other vaping related questions.

Throw in the mix that vaping has many powerful enemies in industry (Big Tobacco, Pharmaceutical), political organizations, and the media that have deep pockets to fund the "anti ecig message" to suit their particular agendas.

Most of the current info is anectodal.
Being a former smoker, I KNOW how unhealthy I was and felt as opposed to how I do now.
We need a means to turn these anectodal stories into clinical studies with accepted research protocols to begin to answer these questions.

Bernard Marx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
attic
Although the answers to these questions for the public are very significant for us as far as social policy is concerned, I have yet to hear from a fellow vaper of any confusion regarding the remarkable health benefits switching initiates. That said, I don't foresee a future where vaping is ever treated differently from smoking. We know the difference but the public isn't interested. Really, why should they be? I'm also pretty sure having vape-ins, cloud competitions, fancy mod displays etc. aren't going to change their mind even as they attract a younger demographic. They may actually work to our disadvantage.

Last edited:
Can't really answer your question, but can share my own personal observations as a result of my own experience.

I believe smoking damaged my lungs. It created a general shortage of breath, made it a challenge to walk up a flight of steps or cut my grass. I often felt and heard a wheezing in my chest, I'd frequently cough or have to clear my throat, and generally felt like crap at the end of the day from smoking. My clothes stunk, truck smelled stale, etc., etc., etc., I could go on forever with all the downsides of smoking.

So I made a decision to try vaping around the 4th of July holiday. It took about 2 days to get used to it. Around the third day in, I noticed I wasn't coughing or hacking, didn't have to clear my throat, and the wheezing in my chest disappeared. About 2 weeks later, I noticed I wasn't breathing hard with a pounding heart at the top of the steps, or after cutting my grass. There has been a noticeable improvement in my overall health, from breathing, to tasting food among a million other little things I've noticed. I'm in my 3rd month without a cigarette and find it hard to believe I would ever do that again.

Hi,

Reduced lung capacity you say? From E-cigg. HAHAHA.

I have been smoking for almost 28 years. My lung capacity was measured and it was worse than a astma patient. allready after 40+ Days vaping it has increased by 10%, my resting heartbeat is down by 15 BPM and i feel gorgeous.

They can publish all the .... they want. All they are out after is our $$$ in their pockets.

BR
P

Nishi

Aug 4, 2014
Mumbai, India

Just last weekend, while gardening - watering, digging, lugging around heavy pots - no shortness of breath. Yeah, it is for real. :)
I'm 50+, smoked for 27 years, and had started getting winded even while walking briskly, climbing stairs or gardening. Also, the raspy sounding breathing while trying to fall asleep is gone.
I've been waiting to cough out all the gunk but sadly it never happened, but then I used to not cough while smoking either.

GreekLion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
United States
Nicotine does not reduce lung capacity - tar dirities the alveoli, which is what actually takes in the oxygen. Nicotine restricts capillaries which in the short-term reduces blood flow and decreases the oxygen supply at the smallest level. This combination in the long-term damages beyond repair both the respiratory system and circulatory system.

E-liquid, made by minimal ingredients, will include flavoring and a suspension liquid (pg/vg). While I can't speak for the long-term effects of the flavoring, the nicotine will behave just as it does in a cigarette. There should be no effect on the respiratory system.

I used to run three miles a day using a pack of Marlboro Reds. My time was 23 minutes. Vaping time? 18 minutes with much less practice. Reduced capacity? I think not!

Clearly more scientific research is needed, but I can tell you that in using my lungs, vaping is exponentially better for respiratory health and function. Anyone who knows what they are talking about and claims otherwise deserves a smack in the head. :laugh:

I got bugged by someone for using ecig claiming they will reduce my lung capacity. I have no retort or argument that is solid.

I've already done a search in the forums but can't find anything unique to the topic subject.

And so far what I've find in a google search of "Lung Capacity ecig"

Electronic Cigarettes Can Harm The Lungs - Medical News Today

And so far what I've find in a google Search of "Lung Capacity ecig myth"

https://www.electroniccigarettesrev...tudy-examines-how-e-cigs-impact-lung-function

So as I may try arguing...' OH WELL I FOUND THIS STUDY THAT SAYS OTHER WISE THEREFORE I'M RIGHT" I'd rather refine the opinion here.

The argument I can only think of is only brief and just sucks,

"While you make a valid point, the ecig has been the center piece of controversy considering the sources of these studies. In my opinion I feel that argument is wrong because you have no provided the source of this claim. I believe that most of these studies are done by special interests under the same message of "well we just don't know enough". They tend to have coporate interests and in this case it would be big pharama companies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread