Mad Mod-Mania? Or am I just being stubborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Hi there!

I have a bit of a problem in another (different language) forum, where there are many many people who use mods. Which is fine, only, and unfortunately in my opinion, they tell everybody pretty much that you cannot really vape without one. They even tell this to complete Newbies, and that will, again in my opinon, turn quite a few away from vaping. (Because it is expensive, and well, they do look a bit odd, especially for Newbies.)
It's 3,7v-mods I ask about; higher-voltage-mods are obviously a different thing.

Now, I could be wrong with my attitude. I have only had a few drags on a mod at all, and that was before I ever got to experience my 510. Since I have no intention of shelling out a three-digit sum to buy something I may neither want nor need, I thought I'd ask for other people's opinions instead.

* On the one hand, I do see why longer battery life and cheaper batteries are good things. After a while of vaping, I even see what might be cool about them. The way I have heard, older models had batteries that were not necessarily all that consistant or which had other problems. I only have 510 batteries, so I can't say how much that used to be a problem. (I know the 510ers don't have a particuarly long life, but I can't complain about consistency even with my two non-Joyes.)
* On the other hand, they don't go well with my way of vaping – I have half a dozen PVs standing ready to grab in a jar right next to me, and I suspect that number is not going to get lower any time soon. Rather, I'll probably have to look for a bigger jar. I also like to hold my PV between my teeth, while my hands are busy. (Such as right now, when I am typing, but stop occasionally to think about what I write.) I also like the feel of my 510s, but that may be habit.

So my question is: Am I missing something important about mods? Is it maybe really a completely different experience (instead of convenience and cheaper batteries)? And is it maybe even really appropriate to tell Newbies to shell out more than 200$ (that is what those recommendations amount to) instead of around 80-100$ just to see what vaping is like. (Including really everything, and local vendors.)

I'm only asking because, well, I could be wrong and miss something important, and it would not be good, either, if I'd make recommendations to Newbies that are not that good after all. If I get trashed, I want to get thrashed about something where I am right. So if I am wrong, I want to know.

Alex

Twisted

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Hagerstown, MD
Well, I'm glad I went the Mod route.. ever since I tried my first one I could not help feeling it was a waste of monies purchasing extra batters and such for my 510 and 801.
The only mod I've used is a Janty V2, its not a high volt mod but moving forward I'll never go back to the stock battery's. The V2 has been in service now for 5 months, the stock batterys would only last a month if that.

So yes if a friend asks, I try to explain it could come out to be a better deal getting a mod.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Mods may not be for you but you say you have a growing jar of stock batts, right? Add the cost up and you could have a few mods IM guessing ;) I LOVE mods bc a stock batt lasted me 30-45min and I often got frustrated. Using mods, I never get frustrated and its now been since 6/23/09 that I craved an analog! Mods are what made me be able to FULLY quit analogs. I can go to a bar and my 4 stock batts are all dead by midnight, next thing u know I was buying smokes!!!!!!! Now I bring a mod and vape all night! Never even ONE thought about an analog! :) Mods make me happy but they may not be for you. If stock batts do the trick, by all means love them! For me tho, it was MORE expensive to keep replacing stock batts then spend $80 on something that I know will last forever and the batts I will have to replace )every 2000 charges) only cost $2...

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
I don't think that a question is about what is better - stock PV or mod.

The question is "Is it appropriate to recommend higher cost mod to a complete newbie?".

My recommendation would be to try a disposable 510 for $10 along with a small 5 or 10 ml juice. In this case for the total cost of approximately $20 newbie will get the idea is it right for them without shelling out a lot of money.

And I have no idea is this approach could be applied to newbies in Germany (OP is talking about German forum.

Only after they tried disposables and think will continue on I will tell them to jump over stock PV and buy a mod.

Last edited:

wiscguy

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2009
Madison, WI
Starting cheap is great. Further ive noticed that ive almost been vaping too much with my mods. Lately ive been doing cartos w/ higher nicotine instead of vaping constantly at a lower level. Still have my mods for at home, but the whole point was to quit cigarettes.......not start an entirely new addiction (well sorta, its still nicotine)

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Hi there!

I have a bit of a problem in another (different language) forum, where there are many many people who use mods. Which is fine, only, and unfortunately in my opinion, they tell everybody pretty much that you cannot really vape without one. They even tell this to complete Newbies, and that will, again in my opinon, turn quite a few away from vaping. (Because it is expensive, and well, they do look a bit odd, especially for Newbies.)
It's 3,7v-mods I ask about; higher-voltage-mods are obviously a different thing.

Now, I could be wrong with my attitude. I have only had a few drags on a mod at all, and that was before I ever got to experience my 510. Since I have no intention of shelling out a three-digit sum to buy something I may neither want nor need, I thought I'd ask for other people's opinions instead.

* On the one hand, I do see why longer battery life and cheaper batteries are good things. After a while of vaping, I even see what might be cool about them. The way I have heard, older models had batteries that were not necessarily all that consistant or which had other problems. I only have 510 batteries, so I can't say how much that used to be a problem. (I know the 510ers don't have a particuarly long life, but I can't complain about consistency even with my two non-Joyes.)
* On the other hand, they don't go well with my way of vaping – I have half a dozen PVs standing ready to grab in a jar right next to me, and I suspect that number is not going to get lower any time soon. Rather, I'll probably have to look for a bigger jar. I also like to hold my PV between my teeth, while my hands are busy. (Such as right now, when I am typing, but stop occasionally to think about what I write.) I also like the feel of my 510s, but that may be habit.

So my question is: Am I missing something important about mods? Is it maybe really a completely different experience (instead of convenience and cheaper batteries)? And is it maybe even really appropriate to tell Newbies to shell out more than 200$ (that is what those recommendations amount to) instead of around 80-100$ just to see what vaping is like. (Including really everything, and local vendors.)

I'm only asking because, well, I could be wrong and miss something important, and it would not be good, either, if I'd make recommendations to Newbies that are not that good after all. If I get trashed, I want to get thrashed about something where I am right. So if I am wrong, I want to know.

Alex

I hate when people do that. I have had several mods, including two sticks (sold both), the VP1 (sold it) and a Cisco Laser Mod (still have it but haven't used it since getting my KR8. I did just order a Janty Ego because it is so damned elegant. Anyway, the mega batteries for 510's and for KR8's do about the same thing as the smaller mods. I do not want anything resembling a crack pipe. After a year of vaping, I still prefer e cigs that resemble regular cigs. I am also wondering about the safety of the 6 V mods since it would seem hotter and possibly more dangerous. You should use the e cig you like and ignore those who think they know best.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
My recommendation would be to try a disposable 510 for $10 along with a small 5 or 10 ml juice.

I'd like to do that very much, unfortunately, disposables are not available here, so its got to be full-scale starter kits. Also, if I have seen that right, disposables are all autos. And I am not entirely sure 510 autos are the best recommendation for vaping, even if I have one myself by now.

Sending people to ECF is also a bit tricky - since they are already on a different forum. :) Not to mention the language problem.

But, again: I understand the convenience of mods, no question about this. I'm also aware of the long-term savings. But is the vaping itself in any way different, especially compared to newer models like the 510?

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
While I'm sure that there are newbies out there who would embrace a mod and do spectacularly with it, the fact is that the vast majority of people starting off are better off with something very simple and on the smaller size.

I met with a newbie who was totally taken with my Protege, and she ordered one as her first PV. It's been nothing but problems since day one, 95% of it being user issues.

I think part of the problem is that folks who have been vaping for awhile often go through a variety of different PVs looking for the Holy Grail. Many eventually settle on one or two different mods that, while not "perfect," suit them best. We inevitably look back and wish we had found our almost perfect mod sooner rather than later.

Being the good-meaning people that we are, we seek to save new vapers some money and frustration, steering them gently to the device that has proven to be so successful for us. The problem is that there's a learning process and adjustment associated with the transition from smoking to vaping, and many, many people can't simply jump from A to D . . . they need to go step by step to learn what works and what doesn't work for them.

For example, I love my Prodigy. Love it to pieces. Loved it so much that I ordered a the newest version. But when I first started vaping, I would have found that device frustrating and intimidating. Taking apart switches to clean with Brasso? Applying Nalox to ridges? Direct dripping instead of cartridges? Carrying around something the size of a weapon?

My advice to those interested in exploring vaping was originally the 901 and then, as the kinks got worked out, the 510. Not perfect, not foolproof, but still quite user-friendly. Now with the advent of the Kr8, that is the device I steer newbies to. It's easy, no muss, no fuss. It might not be the most satisfying device out there or the most consistent in terms of quality of cartomizers, but it's easy. And with an entry price of less than $50, including a pack of 5 cartomizers and some liquid for refilling, it's an easy choice. Heck, some people are paying more than that for a carton of cigarettes now.

And then, after they've experienced vaping and decided that it's a viable alternative to tobacco, well, then we can lure them to the Dark Side. :evil:

Or maybe not . . . plenty of folks are very satisfied with their more traditional models. :)

beast775

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
victoria bc canada
well just using the joye 510,i cant wait to get a mod.bigger battery.i can keep up with the 510 but it is alot of work,dripping charging,dripping charging.try a new cart fill up,charge,switch.haha i will be able to use the 510 with excellent results but when i have a shot of wisers i dont want my fluid low or battery die-ing.so a mod is next on my list for sure.but im gonna always like this 510.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
So my question is: Am I missing something important about mods? Is it maybe really a completely different experience (instead of convenience and cheaper batteries)? ...

...But is the vaping itself in any way different, especially compared to newer models like the 510?

Hey Alex
Tried to distill your question to it's primary point. Let me know if I got it right.

As I understand your question, my answer is a very simple no.

I have used atomizer models 801, 901, 510, 401, 306 and 808 at 3.7v on OEM batteries and on commercial mods using 16340's.

The actual vape is the same.

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The only thing I would add to otd's answer is that the CONSISTENCY of the vape drops off quicker in the stock batts vs mod batts:) To me, I get more consistent vapes, like with a newly charged stock batt, for a longer period of time with the mod batts:D Did that make sense?8-o
RIMP:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread