RDA Magma RDA From Paradigm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnWillyson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Question, do you make your wicks extra long so you can stuff it in the wells, or do you keep it normal length and then just fill the wells with juice. In OP's pic with his coils, it seems as if there is very little cotton going into the wells that has a pool of juice. I been stuffing the wells with extra long wick and just saturating the crap out of it and also tried sera to hold the juice. Im going to have to try regular length wick with lots of liquid in the wells since I've yet to take advantage of the Magmas capacity. So far its pretty much been working for me but just like a regular dripper, I need to drip constantly or itll get dry even with the saturated ends of the wicks.

Don't fill the wells with cotton.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I saw a couple of reviews that agree with you, im very curious about the deck air system... this just makes sense to me, air flow from under the coil.

The deck airflow is what initially peaked my interest on the Magma, I've been getting kinda bored of the regular 3-post dual coil dripper setup that is pretty much identical between a wide range of the RDAs available, so I've been looking for something different. My only other experience with this type of deck airflow is on the octopus awhile back, which was a total POS in every way, so I was a bit soured on the whole deck air idea. But it works great, gives a large amount of airflow, and has a different feeling draw compared to standard side cap air holes.

In my mind I imagine the airflow coming up from the deck and very gently being directed into the drip tip via the domed top cap, seems like it would be a much more free flowing and less turbulent path for the vapor, which might also account for the flavor. I won't say flavor is absolutely better on every juice. In the same way a genny really shines on certain juices, and falls a bit short on others, the Magma seems to really bring out certain flavors but doesn't do justice to others.

I was vaping a green apple juice (that actually tastes more like red vines) which has an excellent flavor on Mesh, and good flavor on cotton in my other drippers, but on the Magma the flavor just doesn't seem to blend as well or something, it's hard to explain.

But both a Mango, and a pink starburst juice are coming out better in the Magma than in any of my other drippers or gennys. For any craft beer drinkers, it's seems similar to the difference between drinking a beer from the bottle, or drinking it from the proper glass. The profile of the flavor seems different with the Magma, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what juice you have.

Question, do you make your wicks extra long so you can stuff it in the wells, or do you keep it normal length and then just fill the wells with juice. In OP's pic with his coils, it seems as if there is very little cotton going into the wells that has a pool of juice. I been stuffing the wells with extra long wick and just saturating the crap out of it and also tried sera to hold the juice. Im going to have to try regular length wick with lots of liquid in the wells since I've yet to take advantage of the Magmas capacity. So far its pretty much been working for me but just like a regular dripper, I need to drip constantly or itll get dry even with the saturated ends of the wicks.

I'll second what John said, just use a small amount of wick that drips down into the well, and leave the rest of the space open for juice. This will increase your capacity quite a bit and will most likely increase the wicking ability too.

Now that I've spent some more time with it I'm not any less impressed, it's not my first high-end atty or device, but I still can't stop myself from fiddling with it every few minutes. There's just something that seems really special about it, although that probably comes down to a magical combination of personal preferences being met.

I have noticed a few minor complains though, the most annoying is the super long 510 center pin. On something like a Nemesis it's no issue, but on something like a Caravela you'll definitely need different length center pins or else face a huge gap somewhere. I haven't run into issues, but for someone with a limited number of mods, or limited parts or ability to tweak their mod it might be a deal breaker and deserves mentioning.

I still have not encountered any actual leaking from the lack or o-ring on the top cap, although I have noticed that when you are re-mounting the cap, if there is any juice in there it will drip down and get between the AFC ring and the atty, and squeeze tiny amounts out at random times. Now that I've been wiping the cap dry before putting it back on, the ACF ring has stayed perfectly dry.

A bit annoying, but most RDAs I have will squeeze a bit of juice out when putting the cap back on, so I can't really single out the Magma for that.

One improvement that I think could be made, is to have a tube sticking out from the air hole in the deck. Have it extend 1/8th inch or so above the deck, and this should almost completely eliminate any sort of leaking due to over filling. A lot of the deck airflow attys have this little nipple/tube and it would have been nice to see on the Magma.

It seems like it would be pretty easy to mod it by drilling out the air holes a bit, and finding a SS tube of the proper diameter to press fit into the holes. I'll have to order some really thick syringes and see if any fit.

It's still pretty leak resistant in stock configuration, when completely full of juice if it's laid horizontal with the air hole down it'll leak a bit of juice, but won't dump all of it like a genny can. After a few puffs it becomes fairly leak proof though, I've been laying it down on my car's dash, coffee table, etc without paying any attention and haven't spilled anything as long as I vape it a few times after it's filled up completely.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on so much!

SamNapolitanke

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Tempe, AZ
To the post about the draw feeling different, would you say it feels more like a kayfun draw?

I switch between my quasar, carto tanks and a kayfun v2 during the day and even though i love the quasar the draw on my kf is excellent for me. If i find a dripper that can replicate that im buying it!!

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
Sam, on the smallest hole size (1mm) it's more open than the kayfun when it's adjusted to the max airflow. You may be able to close off half the hole to get the draw right.

On the other side of the spectrum, when it's on the largest hole size, it's tighter than the quasar when it's full open.

Agree with the post above about juice leaking when taking off the top cap. Juice from the dome comes out all over the threads and afc ring. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning. It's a little harder to wipe the threads dry with a tissue because the threads are small and sharp... You get pieces of tissue caught in the threads. Not a negative but more of a heads up.

I'm floored by how much juice this thing holds though! That's the single most attractive thing about it. I mean it holds at least 3-4X what most other droppers can hold. I can chain vape through an entire cup of coffee on one fill.

Now, one funny bizarre thing that just happened to me. I was vaping for a while and figured the thing HAD TO be getting low on juice. But I wasn't getting a dry/burnt hit. Tasted fine. I opened it up, looked like it was almost dry. I fired it with the top cap off for a second, and POOF the whole deck made a huge FLAME. And stayed lit until I blew it out quickly. No idea why that happened! That could have been my next inhale! :0 Maybe the wicks were more dry than they looked... But even after this flame they didn't look charred at all. That kinda scares me. Has nothing to do with the magma probably but I've never seen that before....

fjgotgame24

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
North Jersey
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg
So this is my Magma on the Copper Vela Clone and its definitely my sexiest set up. (clone yes...but look :p)I've made some adjustments with the wicks by keeping it small like you guys suggested but its still not the kind of vape I was hoping for. 26g Kanthal, 8 wraps, dual coil and it comes out to .57 ohms. The problem that I've been having is with the flavor. As the vapor starts to condense when I inhale, I feel the flavor building up and then it just kind of dissipates on the exhale. It never seems to be the full flavor hit that I'm used to getting even on something as simple as my Igo-W. Also, something that's kind of disappointing is that my go to build has been the nano dragon coils but I find it really hard to make it on the post/deep well combination of the Magma. I believe the thing that's throwing everything off for me is the the air flow coming from the deck as opposed to the side. Idk what it is exactly but something about it, it creates the flavor differently and I haven't figured out a way to utilize it to my liking. I'm thinking vertical coils right above the air-holes might do something but then I don't know how you'd be able to get the leads of the wicks into the wells. Not ready to give up just yet but I really wish they just went with air-holes on the side of the atty.

fjgotgame24

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
North Jersey
Hmmm...I had to come back and revisit this thread as this atty is getting better for me everyday. I guess I was just used to a different type of vape but Im really beginning to appreciate the flavor the Magma produces. I'm a little over the copper vela clone though as its much bigger than the original caravela and would like it to be on something smaller as the Magma is already kind of a big/heavy atomizer. All I can say is get this atomizer and you wont be disappointed, have no clue what I was thinking the first time around.

mattborkin

Nov 20, 2013
Detroit, MI, USA
Hey All,

I'm cutting my RDA teeth on an IGO-W5, and I love it! I, however, have no real interest in building quad coils, so the third post just takes up valuable real estate (especially with my giant paws!)

Since the Paradigm Magma RDA is 22mm, has only 2 posts, and had deep wells, is it pretty safe to say that this RDA has more "working/building" room than any other dripper?

Thanks,

Matt!

mattborkin

Nov 20, 2013
Detroit, MI, USA
i think the full 22mm drippers like the patriot and tobh have the *most* room to work with. but the magma does have a decent size to work with as well.

Oh,

So there is some dead space on the side of the Magma, and the others are more edge-to-edge?

Thanks,

Matt!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
This is definitely the RDA I want to get my hands on, no need to try it first as the design pretty much covers all points that I want from a dripper.

-Large juice reservoir
-Bottom venting airflow
-Single coil compatible
-Domed cap
-no O-rings
-304 grade
-Minimal leaking

I have been thoroughly enjoying mine. I keep switching between it and Patriots and now a Quasar. I have only 2 issues with the Magma.

1. 510 Connector is a little long, it wobbles on my Hana V3. If it were a little shorter I could put it on any mod. There are barely enough threads in the Nemesis top cap for it to work well. It does work well with my other mods.

The biggest issue I have with the one I own.

2. I do not own 2 or 3 of them.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
I have been thoroughly enjoying mine. I keep switching between it and Patriots and now a Quasar. I have only 2 issues with the Magma.

1. 510 Connector is a little long, it wobbles on my Hana V3. If it were a little shorter I could put it on any mod. There are barely enough threads in the Nemesis top cap for it to work well. It does work well with my other mods.

The biggest issue I have with the one I own.

2. I do not own 2 or 3 of them.

Thanks for the info Fear. Not to derail the thread but what are your thoughts on the Quasar.The copper version looks amazng.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Good to know! After spending more time with the Magma I noticed the 510 is probably it's only negative. There is a razor thin gap on my nemesis because of the slight edge on the 510, and the center pin is longer than most attys. It fits perfectly flush on my HCigar 'vela clone and my Avenger V3 though, because they have a slight recess on the top cap that the nemesis doesn't.

Any tricks on setting the coils? The posts are further away than I'd ideally like for micros and the air holes are fairly close to the posts. I am having a semi-difficult time getting both coils situated correctly without deforming the outer wraps.

Once you get the coil mounted you can take some pliers or tweezers and pinch the coil together making sure to get the edge of the tweezers right where the leg leaves the outer wraps. If you are using thin wire this might end in a squished coil though.

You can also pre-bend the legs so that the come out from the coil at about a 45 degree angle, and then straighten back out again where it goes through the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread