Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi mate,
What is the budget for this project and how many liters are you mixing at once?
For small batches, I would suggest a "frother".
froth.jpg

Cheers
I

Reactions: oplholik

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a frother but I want to start mixing. 200 to 500ml batches. I would like to keep the price within 100 dollars

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Check out YouTube for homemade magnetic stirrers using a computer fan motor and a cheap speed control kit. Build it in the project box of your choosing.

magnetic stirrer hot plate - YouTube

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Hey guys, I will make this short and sweet. I want to buy a magnetic stirrer for mixing my e-liquid, and I was wondering what your recommendations were. I was also wondering if the hotplate feature is a necessity? As always, thanks in advance everyone.

I know it's $20 over the budget you have set for it but this is new on the market. It's both a hot plate and a magnetic stirrer so you can turn on the heat, thin out the mix and stir it all at once. They are on pre-order on this site. Nitecore NFF01 Magnetic Stirrer / Hotplate (PREORDER)

I've found them on a couple other site la for around the same price up to $10 more. They are saying they go on sale on the 28th (next Wednesday).

Here is a link on YouTube for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I made one out of a comp fan, hardrive magnet and a old computer fan controller in a project box. That was 2 years ago and still mixes fine. Mix of choice is usually 100ml batch, no problems mixing 200ml of my wife's mix using a 20mm stirbar. I have since added a cheap volt meter from fasttech as a speed indicator. I removed the fan blades so it spins faster from no resistance from the blades then I was able to add a little LED light to light up the mix from the bottom. I have in the mail some thermo heating film and a temperature sensor(from ebay), gonna set it up to slightly heat up the mix to loosen up the VG and help incorporate the mix better.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I tie my bottles to my dog and make her run around the yard for an hour or so:) In the winter a doggie coat with pockets sown in works well also.
I really do like that hot plate though and am tempted.
Yep the dogs laying on her back wagging her tail which is doggie talk for "go for it" and leave me alone already. Either that or she's summoning her boy friend, not sure which yet:)

Last edited:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
If I mix 250-500ml, I use a 1l glass mixing cup from the dollar store and stir my final mix with a fork.

IME there is no difference between my redneck method, shaking, ultrasonic, frothers, etc.

Not a derail, but $100 is a lot of $$$ to spend on something like this without being 100% sure it makes a measurable difference/improvement.

YMMV in any case.

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. Man I wish I had a dog. I know its a lot of money but as I dont have many hobbies and zero kids i would say my money is burning a hole in my pocket. I would make one myself, but I dont think I'm too handy. I like nitcore and have been eyeing that mixer for about a week

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Not a derail, but $100 is a lot of $$$ to spend on something like this without being 100% sure it makes a measurable difference/improvement.

YMMV in any case.

It's been proven that heat combined with fluid movement will shorten steeping from weeks to hours. There's a huge thread dedicated to steeping with an ultrasonic cleaner.

Steeping Times and an Ultrasonic Cleaner Part III

I too can attest that it works. I've steeped with an ultrasonic cleaner and a crock pot for years now. So I have pretty good experience to say with confidence that the Nitecore NFF01 Magnetic Stirrer / Hotplate (PREORDER) will work quite well.

But as you said you have to decide for yourself if the large expense justifies the amount of use it will get and if the benefit derived from it out weighs the cost.

Last edited:

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I use stir plates for yeast starters for brewing. Have thought about using them for DIY also but haven't yet (various reasons). The only issue I see is that it will pull oxygen in when mixing. Something you want with a yeast starter but probably not with ejuice. You could limit the amount of air pulled in: reduced speed of stir bar, top of with co2 and capping off the top of the beaker, etc. Nothing difficult but does add more steps.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Unless you're going to use it very frequently, AND it makes a big difference in your eliquid...I'd personally rather spend $100 on new mods, tanks, more flavorings, etc. Heck, 500mL is only 145mL more than the size of an average can of Coke. It's not like you're making Liters of eliquid at a time!

The little $7 Norpro Deluxe Cordless Mini Mixer 5-Piece Set I bought on eBay should stir/mix 200-500mL! I regularly use it on some of my mixes I make in 125-165mL batches, and it doesn't slow it down at all. Using it has also cut down the aging/steeping time of the few recipes I make that have custards in them. Now...in just 3 days, they're as good as they used to be in 2 weeks!

Or...just buy a handheld immersion blender that are available for about $20-30 instead. It has a much sturdier construction, a strong metal wand, metal attachment, and does high speed mixing! It also definitely could handle mixing eliquids by the liter and even more! I've used mine for making milkshakes, cream based soups of all kinds, dips, etc. and it mixes them all very easily!

You could buy either one of those above, and a crock pot ($10-15 at Walmart) to heat the eliquid in afterwards. Total cost would be less than $25 with Norpro set or less than $50 with immersion blender. Plus, you'd have a tool and a crock pot to use for other things in the kitchen, too!

But, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket...who am I to say the little $7 Set or the immersion blender would satisfy your "need to spend" more? :thumbs:

Last edited:

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
If that hot plate/stirrer also was a scale, that would be a killer DIY accessory, even for a volume mixer like me.

Exactly what I was thinking. Without the scale, meh. That honestly seems like a ridiculous and short-sighted exclusion given the other features, but what do I know.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Exactly what I was thinking. Without the scale, meh. That honestly seems like a ridiculous and short-sighted exclusion given the other features, but what do I know.
You missed the add... Samsung <enter trademark here> Galaxy 16 <enter another trademark here> (and please don't forget that I-Po.. excuse me, Appl... <wait... I'm wrong again> will have the previous version available tomorrow... next month... sometime? Wait... How much money do you have; and can we have exclusive rights?)

Sorry; what was I saying?

Oh, a scale (weigh), that can mix (stir), plus heat? .... I think I just got goose bumps! THAT... would be something I would have to seriously consider spending $100(US) for.

Otherwise, my $20 scale, plus my $10 mixer, plus a couple of weeks in my cupboard, is sounding pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread