Magnetic lab stirrer-which do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hey ya'all. I've been using my mag stirrer since this Feb to good effect but my unit can only mix 400mL or less e-juice batches well, (the vendor claims up to 3000mL max mixing but I assume that is for super thin liquids.) When I try to mix 500mL or more at one time the motor just can't do it and the juice does not get mixed well at all.

So yeah I'm looking for a better unit and one that is more powerful but doesn't break the bank.

Which brands/models do you use? What do you think of it?

I currently use this one:

Apera Instruments AI2801 801
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F34Y7VK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like I said for 400mL or less it works fantastic but I prefer to mix up some batches that are 500 to 600mL at a time and this stirrer just can't do it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Mine is homemade from old computer parts. I never thought to use it for liquids and now that I have I can't find my magnets. I know it cannot mix 2L of VG nicotine and VG.
It does fine with yeast starters. What would worry me about liquids is the reason it is for yeast starters is they are good for introducing oxygen. That would be a bad thing for eliquid.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Not sure how the oxygen effects the flavor but so far I have not tasted any difference. I mix up many 15-60mL single batches and do not use the stirrer for those, but the same recipe done at 300-500mL tastes exactly the same to me as if I just hand mixed one in a 60mL bottle.

I'm certainly not stating o2 is ok for the mix but only that I have not experienced any issues so far. Many DIYers use lab stirrers so I think it is fine.

I'm just in need of a better unit but I do not want to keep buying poorly made non powerful machines via trial and error.

Right now I'm looking through some scientific equipment sites in hopes of finding something good.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: DaveP and Myk

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I have the one you linked to and it's not going to mix 500ml or more, unless it's a mix of PG and VG - maybe. Mine struggles to mix even 100ml of VG and does a poor job. Most often the "flea" loses its magnetic attachment with the stirrer and starts hopping around in the beaker. It will maintain its attachment at slower speeds but then does not mix well.

Short answer: mine only works with thinned VG.

Reactions: Snicks

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Not sure how the oxygen effects the flavor but so far I have not tasted any difference. I mix up many 15-60mL single batches and do not use the stirrer for those, but the same recipe done at 300-500mL tastes exactly the same to me as if I just hand mixed one in a 60mL bottle.

I'm certainly not stating o2 is ok for the mix but only that I have not experienced any issues so far. Many DIYers use lab stirrers so I think it is fine.

I'm just in need of a better unit but I do not want to keep buying poorly made non powerful machines via trial and error.

Right now I'm looking through some scientific equipment sites in hopes of finding something good.
@NolaMel might have a suggestion, she is familiar with such sites.

Reactions: Snicks

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't know how magnetic stirrer air bubbles affect a mix, but I use a $10 milk frother from Amazon on my DIY mixes. It puts hundreds of tiny bubbles throughout the mix that rise slowly to the top over a 10-15 minute period. After that, the mix is crystal clear again like it never happened. If you don't let the mixer blade reach the top of the mix and suck air there's no bubbles at all. I like the idea of bubbles rising through the mix and have never tasted a negative effect on the juice.

Air infusion probably has some effect on the mix, but not shaking, frothing, or using a magnetic stirrer would leave it layered from the addition of components during the mixing process. Stirring, however you do it is probably good for flavor, IMO.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I went from hand shaking(15-30) samples to project box building to a heated magnetic stirrer to a battery milk frother.
I mix 50/50 and the project box was a flop at any amount over 60mls.
The magnetic stirrer worked up to 120ml and would do180 if I let it heat for a min. It always seemed to throw the stir bar and needed to be babysat which defeated the whole purpose.
The milk frother mixes 180 mls 50/50 with no problems. Its just a cheap AAA battery hand held frother.
My new preferred method now is a BALL canning jar!
I mix/measure (360ml.) right into the jar and put on the lid and shake the crap out of it.
I am one of the lucky ones who likes and uses 1 e liquid that is shake and vape!!

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
I have the one you linked to and it's not going to mix 500ml or more, unless it's a mix of PG and VG - maybe. Mine struggles to mix even 100ml of VG and does a poor job. Most often the "flea" loses its magnetic attachment with the stirrer and starts hopping around in the beaker. It will maintain its attachment at slower speeds but then does not mix well.

Short answer: mine only works with thinned VG.

I have to use full speed for everything and the magnet never misses a beat. But if I'm doing 500mL or more of juice that is 30/70VG then it just doesn't have the power to mix properly. Works great at 400mL though but that extra 100mL or more just kills it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't know how magnetic stirrer air bubbles affect a mix, but I use a $10 milk frother from Amazon on my DIY mixes. It puts hundreds of tiny bubbles throughout the mix that rise slowly to the top over a 10-15 minute period. After that, the mix is crystal clear again like it never happened. If you don't let the mixer blade reach the top of the mix and suck air there's no bubbles at all. I like the idea of bubbles rising through the mix and have never tasted a negative effect on the juice.

Air infusion probably has some effect on the mix, but not shaking, frothing, or using a magnetic stirrer would leave it layered from the addition of components during the mixing process. Stirring, however you do it is probably good for flavor, IMO.
I've been using the Badger mixer which is great. Now that I'm moving into larger batches was wondering if a frother would be more convenient and quicker than using a magnetic stirrer. Frother is certainly cheaper. I mix max vg, can the frother manage that you think?

• Agree
Reactions: IDJoel

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
IMG_20180709_142519567_zpspogpscwm.jpg

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@Letitia my AAA battery milk frother probably wouldn't mix max VG.
It works great on 50/50, never tried mixing max vg.
Once I started mixing 360mls. I neaded a larger beaker.
So instead of buying more beakers I had an epiphany.
BALL JAR For the win!!! LOL
Thanks. I have one attachment on the Norco I haven't tried yet, maybe I'll get lucky with it.

Reactions: Tmebs

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

There has to be a limit. I'm sure there's a limit for those liquids that turn into black gunk in plastic bottles.
A stir plate for yeast is run from the time you start the yeast until you pitch it, 24hrs-48hrs.

Oxidation may be the key to speed aging. Why else do some flavors sit in the flavor bottle happily clear and turn yellow or brown once mixed with nicotine?
So how long do you leave them on the stir plate? I'm sure you don't run the frother for hours.
Do you run a strawberry until it turns yellow which takes a week the slow way?

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been using the Badger mixer which is great. Now that I'm moving into larger batches was wondering if a frother would be more convenient and quicker than using a magnetic stirrer. Frother is certainly cheaper. I mix max vg, can the frother manage that you think?

The difference between frother and hand mixer for me is tied to the attachment. One makes bubbles and the other can do that also, but a mixer attachment can be made to not create bubbles in the mix. Keep the tip deeper in the mix and you get few or no bubbles. Either way, after a few minutes the bubbles rise and break, leaving the mix clear.

My reason for using any bladed attachment is to ensure no hot spots exist.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The difference between frother and hand mixer for me is tied to the attachment. One makes bubbles and the other can do that also, but a mixer attachment can be made to not create bubbles in the mix. Keep the tip deeper in the mix and you get few or no bubbles. Either way, after a few minutes the bubbles rise and break, leaving the mix clear.

My reason for using any bladed attachment is to ensure no hot spots exist.
I always mix long enough to get frothy bubbles, maybe 20 seconds. The Norco has an attachment that fits into the unicorn bottles which comes in handy. I prefer mixing in beakers for the most part so dont use it as much. Thinking I'm going to just stick with what I have, it works.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I always mix long enough to get frothy bubbles, maybe 20 seconds. The Norco has an attachment that fits into the unicorn bottles which comes in handy. I prefer mixing in beakers for the most part so dont use it as much. Thinking I'm going to just stick with what I have, it works.

The Norpro attachment I'm thinking of is the plastic one that is wishbone shaped on the end. I can squeeze the tips together to get into a 60ml LDPE bottle and mix.

With larger glass bottles I use the Badger with the metal "buzz saw" tip and raise it up and down bottom to top and create lots of tiny bubbles. The bubbles take maybe 5 to 10 minutes to float to the top and break. Then, the juice is clear as before. I only do it once after mixing and after that I shake the bottle occasionally during steeping.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The Norpro attachment I'm thinking of is the plastic one that is wishbone shaped on the end. I can squeeze the tips together to get into a 60ml LDPE bottle and mix.

I use the Badger with the metal "buzz saw" tip and raise it up and down bottom to top and create lots of tiny bubbles. The bubbles take maybe 5 to 10 minutes to float to the top and break. Then, the juice is clear as before. I only do it once after mixing and after that I shake the bottle occasionally during steeping.
The Norco with the two straight ends that splay out work great in the small neck bottles.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just tried my Badger. It's not working even with new batteries. I thought it was dead batteries or a switch problem. I adjusted the switch tab and battery connections, but no dice. It probably got turned on while on the shelf and ran the batteries down while the mixer tip was jammed against something. I'll take it apart when I get a chance and check for open connections.

ETA: I took it apart and the little slide contact under the switch button inside had popped out of place. With a little contact reforming and patience it's working like new again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread