The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Magneto, Silver Bullet, Other?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by madqatter, Oct 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. madqatter

madqatter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm currently looking at the Smoktech Magneto and the Silver Bullet. If I get one, I can only get one. Which of the two do you think would be the better choice and why? Or do you have a better mech recommendation in the price range? What makes that suggestion better?

I welcome your input! :)

2. jwat82

jwat82 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    The Land of Lincoln
    I love my Magneto. With a Smok Kick, it's become my 90% of the time device. It's going to function similarly to the Silver Bullet, but without any wires, and about half the price. I've read nothing but good things about the silver bullet, but if I get another unregulated device it's going to be another true mech.

Just my $0.02

3. sdcopp

sdcopp Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    having both, while I love the Silver Bullet I don't know that I'd pick it over my Magneto

4. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    Central Texas
    This is built better than I thought it would be, got it for my birthday:
    EA clone by EHpro - Vape Toy
    Otherwise, I'd go for the Silver Bullet, I regret the day I ever sold mine.

5. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    I have seen some great reviews on it.

The price and springless magnetic switch are, for me, the most appealing features of the Magneto. Descriptions of the Silver Bullet say it's wireless, but I've heard the switch is wired?

Both seem to have great reviews-- people clearly love both. For me the most appealing features of the Silver Bullet, right now, are:
    * It's been around for years and people still love this piece.
    * Sleeve makes it possible to kick an 18650 if I want.
    * Simplicity of overall shape, e.g. no decoration/name.
    But the Magneto is also appealing....

6. State O' Flux

State O' Flux Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    Another to consider... and really, it's more of a Magneto with different styling than something unique, is the Smok Galileo V3... kind of a "rounded off" Magneto with some unique surface machining.

Another new one... and one I've ordered myself, is the Youde UDT V10. A bit more costly than a Magneto, but if it is everything it's reported to be, and typical Youde quality, then for the price, it's going to be a real bargain. Hopefully, they do a 18500 and 18650 tube... 'cause with just an 18350 tube, they've limited their market somewhat.

Another not commonly considered by new mech users anymore... mostly due to the recent impact of all the counterfeits and forgeries, is the good ol' Sigelei 19. In the 19e format, all brass and no magnets/glue... once you toss the top hot spring and adjust the button throw with an o-ring, they are great bang for the buck.
    And... while I'm at the Vapor Tek site... the Cara' clone - Sigelei model 8W is also a nice mech. I'm not a big fan of tele tube mechs, so the fixed tube 8W is one of my favorites.

Mechs are great fun. Buy a decent one and you'll be a happy camper for decades to come.

7. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    I love the style of both-- the 8W, especially.

8. VIPOD

VIPOD Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2010
    NB,Canada
    Just picked up a Smok Galileo. Wanted a Magneto, but the updated features of the Galileo is what sold me (eGo threading & adjustable pin). It's also sleeker imo.

I have a Silver Bullet, in fact it's been in my collection for 3 years. Solid mod, but sad, collecting dust.:(

9. Plumes.91

Plumes.91 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    I have had a few smoktech mods, my favorite of them is the natural. But smoktech has had it's problems. I haven't seen a magneto and I haven't seen too many people complaining about them here on ECF but I'm sure they have their quirks. The SB is a great mod, I own one. The problem with the SB is the large diameter and the paint. The pain scratches pretty easily. I think you'd be happy with either, but it sounds like your going to end up liking the magneto over the SB. Altsmoke has communication problems. I've sent 3 separate e-mails to them since buying my SB and they never answered one of them. You'd think they would considering I signed them Plumes.91, the guy that posts to ECF around the clock. Smoktech has put out some pretty stupid mistakes though. Mods with no venting, regulated mods with spelling errors in the menu, mods that can't even fit a button top protected battery (is the designer mentally ill?) But the magneto has gotten pretty good reviews. I say go for it.

10. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Dangit, Flux, now you've got me ogling that Sigelei 8w.

Looks like an 18500 can be kicked using the 18650 tube. Do button v. flat top batteries make a difference in the 8w?

11. State O' Flux

Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    Not really. I don't get too concerned about battery distinction, other than with limited space. So, when in doubt, use flat tops.

I've got a stack of 8mm X 1.5mm axially magnetized magnets that I use when I've got too much space for a given battery... an issue you can run into with fixed tube mechs. Avid Vapors sells them, 10 for $10. (and a few other lengths as well)

If you choose to use them on the positive side, and that tends to be the place you do use them (unless you're trying to mod a mag button from an early Sigelei 19)... you will also need some 17mm X 1.5mm X 8mm (approximate) rubber, or other, non-conductive washers to function as a secure centering device for the magnets... wouldn't want them sliding sideways and having a hard short... now would we? [​IMG]

12. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Now I'm starting to think "I could save a bit longer and get both the Magneto and the Sigelei 8w." This thread may not be having the desired effect. ;)

13. Ranic85

Ranic85 Moved On

Sep 12, 2013
    Earth
    I just got my Magneto/Fogger V2 today. Absolutely love it! Probably won't touch my Genesis ever again. No more tippy upside downy!

14. State O' Flux

Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    Here's the deal... you don't buy one mech. You simply buy your first mech. [​IMG]

Hell... you can turn a lot of mechs into magnetic buttons anyway. Don't buy a Magneto just for the button.

If the mech has an 8mm shaft, you can get 12mm x 2mm X 8.5mm neodymium magnets from eBay (you need three per mech) and convert in about 2 minutes.
    Some mechs will have issues with removing the hot spring from the button... in which case you have to figure out a way to get good continuity.
    Many Sigelei bottom buttons use 8mm shafts, including the 19 series and 8W. A 19e for sure... pull spring, toss in three magnets - the button one with opposing magnetism. Done.

I bet if you call Dennis Cruz, the owner of Fat Daddy Vapes... I bet he might have some spare 12mm x 2mm X 8.5mm magnets that he uses in his terrific Sigelei 19 (early, crap button model) button upgrade kit. They're the same as the ones from eBay Hong Kong, but you don't wait 3-4 weeks.

I've had 4 magnetos... gifted them all. They're a nice mech, but I got bored with them. If I was going to get a Smok mech today, I'd get the Galileo V3, only because I've not had one. Nothing against the Smoks... I just have more fun with cheaper Sigeleis... but I'm a tinkerer, so maybe tinkering ain't your speed. ;)

Cha

15. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Not a tinkerer... yet...

16. State O' Flux

Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    It's like most anything with a technical, hardware element. The more you know, the more you realize that what you want, wasn't really what you wanted. And in this particular adventure, that can happen every week, every day some times.

Mechs are a bit of a disease. Some find out too late that throwing money at them, takin' pictures and postin' 'em so others can go "ohhhh" and "ahhhhh" - that ain't the cure. Having some tinkerin' fun with them is where the satisfaction lies.

I've never spent more than $100 on a mech and never will. Hell, I may never spend more than $75... but man, do I ever like to tinker with what I got. And I get 2-3 new mechs a month at least.

Just got finished flame coloring a Sigelei Silver Dragon. Nice dark bronze to purple to gold color SS, contrasted against polished SS. $30, a BernzOmatic torch and a eighth of a can of butane... and it looks like a million bucks. Tinkerin' brother.... tinkerin'. ;-)

All IMO of course. To each their own.

17. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    Still undecided, but beginning to gather the other elements I will need, such as batteries, a charger, etc. :)

18. madqatter

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    All right, I did it. I ordered both the Magneto AND the 8W. :facepalm: Thanks, folks! :2cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.