Making my own and cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If you choose to mix using syringes, I'd recommend getting these to start with: (3) 1mL, (3) 3mL, (2 or 3) 5mL, and (1 or 2) 10mL ones. If you have a Tractor Supply store near you...they have many sizes, including all of the above, except the 1mL size, AND they're very inexpensive there (about $.35 -.60 each)! The 1mL size can be ordered for dirt cheap though from fasttech (see below), and/or your local veterinarian may sell you a few for not much. I'd suggest getting the ones with the Luer Lock threaded end, rather than what's called the "slip" end. The Luer Lock end is threaded and will make sure the blunt needle tips (see below) securely stay on the syringe during use. Also, if you'll put a clear piece of packing tape over the markings on the syringes the markings will be protected and won't easily come off.

These from FT aren't the Luer Lock, but I've had no problems with them. Just remove and toss the pointed needle they come with, and use the blunt needle tips on them instead.

$1.98 DIY E-Liquid Injection Syringe (1ml/10-Pack) 10-pack - w/ needle at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

These 14gauge blunt needle tips will work for your flavorings, nic base, plain PG, and plain VG.

$0.92 14G Dispensing Refilling Needle for RTA Atomizer (10-Pack) 10-pack - plastic + stainless steel / 13mm pin length / 1.82mm outer dia. / 1.55mm inner dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just can't recommend mixing by drops for anything but ultra flavors, drops from bottles are too inconsistent from bottle type to bottle type.
True it is not exact but once I know my desired flavor level for the certain flavor, I mark a bigger bottle when I have added desired drops per ml size, then I just pour it in and mix with my base. For me it is easier than weighing out or going by ml every time. I just pour the flavor to the marked level on my bottle. I only use a couple flavors so it works pretty well for me. I like easy and less equipment, guess I am a lazy measure person LOL

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
True it is not exact but once I know my desired flavor level for the certain flavor, I mark a bigger bottle when I have added desired drops per ml size, then I just pour it in and mix with my base. For me it is easier than weighing out or going by ml every time. I just pour the flavor to the marked level on my bottle. I only use a couple flavors so it works pretty well for me. I like easy and less equipment, guess I am a lazy measure person LOL
True, but you are already experienced. I think for a new mixer syringes or weight is best until they get a feel for flavors and brand. I wish I had skipped mixing by volume and started with mixing by weight. Hindsight ya know.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
True, but you are already experienced. I think for a new mixer syringes or weight is best until they get a feel for flavors and brand. I wish I had skipped mixing by volume and started with mixing by weight. Hindsight ya know.

I agree. How it's done is a matter of choice. I tried syringes and marked beakers and it wasn't for me once I bought scales and tried mixing by weight. I agree that there may be some improvement in accuracy if you are watching a mark on a syringe or a beaker, but dripping drops on a scale is somehow satisfying to me. I like watching the numbers change from drip to drip and drop to drop. :) With a scale you have to get in sync with settling time, but it's quick with the right scale.

I use clear condiment bottles for PG and VG. For flavors I use the dropper bottles they come in. For nic, I use a pipette. I mix half a dozen or more flavors at a time, so it's easy to put a bottle on the scale and work from a printed recipe sheet.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I agree. How it's done is a matter of choice. I tried syringes and marked beakers and it wasn't for me once I bought scales and tried mixing by weight. I agree that there may be some improvement in accuracy if you are watching a mark on a syringe or a beaker, but dripping drops on a scale is somehow satisfying to me. I like watching the numbers change from drip to drip and drop to drop. :) With a scale you have to get in sync with settling time, but it's quick with the right scale.

I use clear condiment bottles for PG and VG. For flavors I use the dropper bottles they come in. For nic, I use a pipette. I mix half a dozen or more flavors at a time, so it's easy to put a bottle on the scale and work from a printed recipe sheet.
I use flavor drops with the scale but never measured by drops. I know some do but I know I would lose count. I started mixing nic bases a couple months ago, goes so much faster. Mix in a beaker just because for me its easier and more stable than mixing in my unicorn bottles. Thinking about mixing up some 10ml seed mixes to start steeping and see how fast it speeds up the steep in new mixes.

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
Thanks everyone for you replies. If you have any other ideas, suggestions please let me know I will be sure to read.
I am going to sift through all the information given to me so far and see what I wanna do and when I wanna do it. Time is the problem for me right now because currently I don't have any money to invest into building up a small selection of products to get this started. So this is just a thing of the future, but I know I will most definately do it because I want to save money, plus it sounds interesting and like a hobby as well.

Thanks again.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Nicotine River starter kit has everything you need except a scale which I bought on Amazon for $10. Mixing by weight is SUPER easy.

Like others have said, find a couple of recipes that appeal to you. Then when choosing your flavor concentrates use the recipes as a guide.

I did this in January and haven’t bought store brand since. It makes for a nice hobby too if you want it to be.

Most of all just have fun and enjoy!!

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Nicotine River starter kit has everything you need except a scale which I bought on Amazon for $10. Mixing by weight is SUPER easy.

Like others have said, find a couple of recipes that appeal to you. Then when choosing your flavor concentrates use the recipes as a guide.

I did this in January and haven’t bought store brand since. It makes for a nice hobby too if you want it to be.

Most of all just have fun and enjoy!!

Yep. Even the smaller scales will work nicely IF you are making smaller quantities.

I started using a reloading scale that works fine when measuring grains of gunpowder or 30ml bottles of juice, but ended up getting a larger scale when I decided to mix quantities of 120mls or greater.

Either way, using a scale is much easier and making just a couple of 60ml bottles of juice will pay for the scale.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I am going to sift through all the information given to me so far and see what I wanna do and when I wanna do it. Time is the problem for me right now because currently I don't have any money to invest into building up a small selection of products to get this started. So this is just a thing of the future, but I know I will most definitely do it because I want to save money, plus it sounds interesting and like a hobby as well.

It can be an EXTRAORDINARILY fulfilling hobby.. And as someone that is disabled, trust me that hobbies are an absolute MUST! ;)

I would also strongly recommend the use of a recipe calculator that will display both grams and volume. For a beginner, something like EjuiceMeUp might be easier to handle. But if you continue doing DIY, it will very quickly become a supreme PITA. You should then go to a more advanced calculator (or even just start with one), like the free one in my sig... It even has a facility where you can keep adjusting an already mixed eliquid, if you use bottles that have [known] ML markings (or make them yourself).

Also, if you do decide to stick with it, and find you may prefer to mix by volume - you may want to invest slowly into glass syringes and all-SS dispensing tips (via Ebay). You won't have to tape over the markings, and I find the plastic ones will invariably either start binding or getting too loose. Not to mention that there are many flavors that will end up melting/destroying the plastic ones. And I didn't want to get into a syringe habit as well. :) Just start building up a few slowly, since they are more expensive. They're surprisingly strong though, and you won't need many at all. The glass syringes in my sig were pointed to from someone here on ECF as being the best, but I forget exactly why they said these were better (something to do with markings, maybe??).

I also save by now buying most of my flavors in 1/4/16oz sizes and transferring to amber glass bottles with phenolic polycone caps for long-term storage. And that is also why I kind of HAVE to mix by volume with syringes, on top of mixing in a way that uses maybe only one 1ml/2ml/5ml glass syringe for all flavors, and another 10ml/30ml glass syringe for pg/vg --- going from lighter to stronger flavors, and just wiping the tip between. But, I digress.. That is for if you start following the rabbit holes. :eek:

But as mentioned in the thread, unless you plan to build in and enforce consistency somehow, I would avoid measuring by drops altogether. They're entirely too inconsistent, on top of the likelihood of miscounting. I've actually measured some bottles to be 20 drops to a ML, and another to be 80 drops to a ML. That's quite a range, to say the least.

Last edited:

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
LB-501 scale on Amazon for 22 bucks. Works great.

lb-501.jpeg

If I had to do it over again, I'd start small and work my way up to the more complex.

I'd first learn to make an unflavored juice. Hard to screw up and it gets you familiar with the ingredients and equipment.
I made the mistake of making a whole bunch of crazy recipes in the beginning before I really knew what I was doing. Most were lousy.

For unflavored you need:
PG
VG
Nic (100/100)
Bottles (couple of 15's and a couple of 30's)
Pipette
Scale

Using the above, you now only have a few considerations before making your first juice.
VG/PG ratio
Nic strength
Amount to make.

You can do the above for about 60 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread