Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just one other thing for the OP to consider regarding Nicotine Levels.

And that is that the Nicotine Level(s) of Retail e-liquids has a degree of Variance to them. So the Retail e-liquid that has 6mg/ml on the label may actually be 5.4mg/ml, or 6.6mg/ml, or etc. And this amount can vary from Batch to Batch. And for Flavor to Flavor.

And just like Customers Don't notice these Small Differences because, well, because they are small. Neither will a person who makes their own e-liquids.

So I wouldn't be Overly Concerned about small Variations in the mg/ml numbers.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Mrs. Wood, since this is what you have, I think you are getting good advice. Premixed nicotine is a great way to "test" the waters so to speak, and I agree with others that you may not notice a small difference.

Once you are done with that batch, I am going to suggest that you purchase higher strength nicotine and PG/VG separately with flavors, it will give you far more flexibility.

You will never be buying "pure" nicotine, just for example. That type of nicotine can't be used without a chemical closet and probably hazmat gear. Pure nicotine is labelled usually as 99.9% or 999 mg/ml.

What most people mix with is 10% nicotine or 100 mg/ml, which will usually come in a PG or VG mix and is generally not toxic unless someone is immersed in LARGE amounts of it. I was fairly hesitant myself, and the first time I mixed I wore safety glasses, a mask, and gloves. I have found that I only really need the gloves, and if I spill on myself, a quick wash of whatever area takes care of it. Worst case, you spill it ALL over yourself, you can quickly jump in the shower while disrobing, and you won't encounter nicotine toxicity, nic does take SOME TIME to penetrate the skin.

I usually mix in a contained area (a baking pan) for any spills, usually of my VG if anything, as it is pretty dense. However, it's more for an easier clean up than anything else. I started out with 60 mg/ml nic as I was hesitant also, but I'm not anymore. There's tons to learn about DIY, I just wanted to mention a little bit about nic and the types of "nic" ratios typically used in mixing. With higher strength nicotine you will have less "space" needs to store your nic, most folks will split up their purchases into smaller containers so they aren't using a "huge" amount of nic to begin with, then freeze them and thaw out one container that is "active" at a time. Usually it's recommended to store in fridge or freezer to extend the shelf life.

Just understand that the nic sold for at home use is usually FAR below what is needed for any sort of toxicity with a reasonable amount of care. It will give you a lot more flexibility in mixing as you start making juices, and with the right juice calculator things get pretty easy.

Best of luck,

Anna

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
If you decide to go for the 6mg/mL strength, and don't want to go below 5mg/mL, You can use up to 16.667% flavoring (that would be 2.5mL of your 15mL bottles).

(If you are interested in the math; it is as follows:)
5/6 = 0.83333 or 83.333%
Meaning: 83.333% (minimum) of any recipes you make (with the 6mg.mL nic base) must be of your base to stay at, or above, the 5mg/mL threshold you set. This also happens to mean the maximum amount of flavor you can use is 16.667% (100% - 83.333% = 16.667%)

15mL<bottle size> X 0.83333<percentage> = 12.49995mL<base volume>
(close enough to call it 12.5mL 6mg/mL base).

15mL<bottle size> - 12.5mL<base volume> = 2.5mL <flavor concentrate(s)>
(the maximum amount of "room" for flavors)

Check the math: 12.5<base> + 2.5mL<flavor> = 15mL<recipe> All is good!:D

So now you have a min/max recipe (minimum amount of base/maximum amount of flavor concentrates) to make 5mg/mL e-liquid in a 15mL batch size:

12.5mL 30%PG/70%VG 6mg/mL nic base
2.5mL flavor concentrate(s)

And, since I appear to be in "lecture" mode:facepalm::
If I want to write this as a scalable recipe, meaning a recipe I could make any volume of; I would write it like this:

Name It (if it doesn't already have one)
83.333% 30%PG/70%VG 6mg/mL nic base
16.667% flavor concentrate(s)

Now, I can take any size of container, apply those percentages, and understand how much of each to use. By percentage; is the most common (preferred?) way one finds recipes posted on the internet.:)

Finally; a reminder. Just because I can use 16+% of a flavor (or combination of flavors), doesn't mean I need, or want to. Many concentrates require less (sometimes much less); while others can occasionally need more. It is always beat/easiest(?) to start low and add more if needed.

This exercise was only to establish a min/max ratio to not drop below 5mg/mL when using a 6mg/mL base.:D

Thank you so much! Though the math still looks like it is in a foreign language, the fact that you broke it down into mls is what allowed me to understand it! I can't wait to get my mix and my flavors and start DIY'ing my own eliquids! Now my question is where to buy the best flavors?

Just one other thing for the OP to consider regarding Nicotine Levels.

And that is that the Nicotine Level(s) of Retail e-Liquids has a degree of Variance to them. So the Retail e-Liquid that has 6mg/ml on the label may actually be 5.4mg/ml, or 6.6mg/ml, or etc. And this amount can vary from Batch to Batch. And for Flavor to Flavor.

And just like Customers Don't notice these Small Differences because, well, because they are small. Neither will a person who makes their own e-Liquids.

So I wouldn't be Overly Concerned about small Variations in the mg/ml numbers.

Thank you so much! This is good to know as I am desperate not to fail this time and know dropping my nic levels too fast could send me running for that cigarette!

Mrs. Wood, since this is what you have, I think you are getting good advice. Premixed nicotine is a great way to "test" the waters so to speak, and I agree with others that you may not notice a small difference.

Once you are done with that batch, I am going to suggest that you purchase higher strength nicotine and PG/VG separately with flavors, it will give you far more flexibility.

You will never be buying "pure" nicotine, just for example. That type of nicotine can't be used without a chemical closet and probably hazmat gear. Pure nicotine is labelled usually as 99.9% or 999 mg/ml.

What most people mix with is 10% nicotine or 100 mg/ml, which will usually come in a PG or VG mix and is generally not toxic unless someone is immersed in LARGE amounts of it. I was fairly hesitant myself, and the first time I mixed I wore safety glasses, a mask, and gloves. I have found that I only really need the gloves, and if I spill on myself, a quick wash of whatever area takes care of it. Worst case, you spill it ALL over yourself, you can quickly jump in the shower while disrobing, and you won't encounter nicotine toxicity, nic does take SOME TIME to penetrate the skin.

I usually mix in a contained area (a baking pan) for any spills, usually of my VG if anything, as it is pretty dense. However, it's more for an easier clean up than anything else. I started out with 60 mg/ml nic as I was hesitant also, but I'm not anymore. There's tons to learn about DIY, I just wanted to mention a little bit about nic and the types of "nic" ratios typically used in mixing. With higher strength nicotine you will have less "space" needs to store your nic, most folks will split up their purchases into smaller containers so they aren't using a "huge" amount of nic to begin with, then freeze them and thaw out one container that is "active" at a time. Usually it's recommended to store in fridge or freezer to extend the shelf life.

Just understand that the nic sold for at home use is usually FAR below what is needed for any sort of toxicity with a reasonable amount of care. It will give you a lot more flexibility in mixing as you start making juices, and with the right juice calculator things get pretty easy.

Best of luck,

Anna

Thank you so much for the information Anna! I do plan on buying in a higher nic level, probably in a vg base, unless pg is better? I do know that I like higher VG blends for their smoothness. I have learned that a 50/50 is too much for me and I don't enjoy vaping a 50/50 blend. I do still need the throat hit though because when I am not getting it, I don't feel like I am smoking which leaves me agitated and wanting a cigarette.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am PG sensitive, so I have to buy my nic in VG. It's gloopier than I like, but it's still manageable. With that said, most flavors are PG too, so depending on what strength you are going for, flavoring will play a percentage. If flavoring, say, around 8%, that will mean you've got 8% pg to start with, or 10 or whatever percentage you use. You can get VG flavors but they are harder to find.

At your nic level, depending on the exact percentage you are going for, say 6% and 10% flavors, that would give you about 16% PG. If that is below what you want say VG80% and PG 20% I think that PG nic is easier to handle (personally) because it's less viscous. So, you can calculate all that out regarding what will occur with your mix, down the line.

Just pick a good juice calculator (I use a free android one that isn't fantastic for saving recipes but I write mine down anyway, in a notebook, but I prefer just having my phone to refer to) and start fooling with it. All will become clear. It will ask you for your "target" mix, which is what you input first-- nic level, flavors, and PG/VG ratio and amount in ML of your total mix, and work your way backwards. It's kind of like algebra, only you start out with the answer: "I want to make X" and then you will input a few other things and it will do all the math for you.

It's actually much easier than if you start with a "fixed" value like you have now.

Hope this helps a bit.

Anna

Reactions: IDJoel

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you so much! This is good to know as I am desperate not to fail this time and know dropping my nic levels too fast could send me running for that cigarette!

Trust Me. You Are Not Going To Fail.

Because there is Never a need to make "All or Nothing" decision when it comes to e-Cigarettes/DIY.

For Someone who has Never done DIY, the way you Start is to get a 2 or 3 Week supply of Retail e-Liquids. Then, if things go South on you, you Always have your Retail e-Liquids to fall back on.

It's like when you Smoked.

Would you ever go someplace New where you Didn't know if you could buy Cigarettes and then leave with 3 or 4 Smokes left in your pack? Of Course Not. You would Buy a Pack (or Two!) so you would Never run out. That's the Same Approach you should take with DIY.

And with e-Cigarette Hardware.

If the Only Thing keeping you Off Cigarettes right now is that e-Cigarette in your hand, then you Damn Sure better have a Complete, Working, Identical Set-Up in case something happens to your Day-2-Day unit.

I've probably read about 3 Dozen Posts about how someone is So Excited because they just Quit Smoking! Only to hear how they Dropped their Setup and the Tank Broke. Or the USB Port Got Wonky. Or they Ran Out of Coil Heads and the Vape Shop they buy from was Out of Stock. So they Caved and Bought a Pack of Smokes.

Your Going to do Fine with DIY. And there isn't Going To Be Any Pressure to Succeed. You are Going to have Back-Up Retail e-Liquids that you Know will keep you from Smoking.

So No Matter what happens. You are Not Going to Fail.

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
I am PG sensitive, so I have to buy my nic in VG. It's gloopier than I like, but it's still manageable. With that said, most flavors are PG too, so depending on what strength you are going for, flavoring will play a percentage. If flavoring, say, around 8%, that will mean you've got 8% pg to start with, or 10 or whatever percentage you use. You can get VG flavors but they are harder to find.

At your nic level, depending on the exact percentage you are going for, say 6% and 10% flavors, that would give you about 16% PG. If that is below what you want say VG80% and PG 20% I think that PG nic is easier to handle (personally) because it's less viscous. So, you can calculate all that out regarding what will occur with your mix, down the line.

Just pick a good juice calculator (I use a free android one that isn't fantastic for saving recipes but I write mine down anyway, in a notebook, but I prefer just having my phone to refer to) and start fooling with it. All will become clear. It will ask you for your "target" mix, which is what you input first-- nic level, flavors, and PG/VG ratio and amount in ML of your total mix, and work your way backwards. It's kind of like algebra, only you start out with the answer: "I want to make X" and then you will input a few other things and it will do all the math for you.

It's actually much easier than if you start with a "fixed" value like you have now.

Hope this helps a bit.

Anna

This makes sense, thank you! I could do my nic in pg. I know that I seem to like a 70vg/30pg ratio. Though I sometimes have to add a few drops(usually 5 or 6 drops) of my 50/50 blend to it for the throat hit that I want. I tend to prefer subtle flavor over strong flavor as well.(I'm not sure how much this helps or doesn't help) I started out only liking tobacco flavors and have a variety of those that I do like then when I got the free ejuice, I actually started trying a larger variety of flavors and have found a few others that I like.

Last edited:

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
Trust Me. You Are Not Going To Fail.

Because there is Never a need to make "All or Nothing" decision when it comes to e-Cigarettes/DIY.

For Someone who has Never done DIY, the way you Start is to get a 2 or 3 Week supply of Retail e-Liquids. Then, if things go South on you, you Always have your Retail e-Liquids to fall back on.

It's like when you Smoked.

Would you ever go someplace New where you Didn't know if you could buy Cigarettes and then leave with 3 or 4 Smokes left in your pack? Of Course Not. You would Buy a Pack (or Two!) so you would Never run out. That's the Same Approach you should take with DIY.

And with e-Cigarette Hardware.

If the Only Thing keeping you Off Cigarettes right now is that e-Cigarette in your hand, then you Damn Sure better have a Complete, Working, Identical Set-Up in case something happens to your Day-2-Day unit.

I've probably read about 3 Dozen Posts about how someone is So Excited because they just Quit Smoking! Only to hear how they Dropped their Setup and the Tank Broke. Or the USB Port Got Wonky. Or they Ran Out of Coil Heads and the Vape Shop they buy from was Out of Stock. So they Caved and Bought a Pack of Smokes.

Your Going to do Fine with DIY. And there isn't Going To Be Any Pressure to Succeed. You are Going to have Back-Up Retail e-Liquids that you Know will keep you from Smoking.

So No Matter what happens. You are Not Going to Fail.

This...thank you so much. Right now I have about 300-400mls of ejuice that I got free.(in a bad trade) I've managed to make it work and the itaste works great, it's the tank I have an issue with. The tank (ego one mega)rapidly burns coils out due to an issue with the housing (found this out through youtube videos and some research). The kangertech mod I have, I made work. I switched tanks and with some research seems to work okay now, it would suffice as a back up should I need it. The kangertech toptank does have a serious issue but I can't seem to figure it out(no matter what mod I put it on as soon as it's in place on the mod, the mod immediately reads 9.9ohms and doesn't work). I have cleaned the 510 connectors and replaced the coil but have had no luck with getting it to work. I have been looking at a used cleito aspire tank to replace the ego one mega on my itaste because currently if I hit the itaste over 1.8s at 33w it results in a burned taste.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thank you! The guy is asking $15 and it comes with two rubber bands for tank protection, extra glass and two coils. It definitely seems like a fair price!
Not really, it's used. You can buy a new one with 2 coils and spare glass for as low as 13.00. I wouldn't give him more than 10.00.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I can't wait to get my mix and my flavors and start DIY'ing my own eliquids! Now my question is where to buy the best flavors?

There are lots of places you can buy flavorings, and which ones are considered "the best"...will be different for each person who does DIY. So I'll offer a suggestion of a "type" of flavorings instead, based on them being very easy for anyone to use as they're first learning how to DIY.

They're called one shot concentrates, or all-in-one flavorings, or by a variety of different names. What they all are though, are already combined/blended flavorings that you just add singly to your own PG, VG, and nic base to make some really good finished eliquid.

However, in your case, based on what you plan to order...your PG, VG, and nic will already be mixed when you get it. So all you'll need to do is add some of 1 of these flavorings to it! There are several well-known and popular vendors who carry this type of flavorings, and many of us on the ECF use them.

The info below is for just 1 of those popular vendors, because I haven't tried any of this type from other ones. I'm hoping other people who have used different vendors than below, will post those websites and some of their favorites from them, too.

OneStopDIYShop - On their website, the flavorings that you can use singly like above, are their "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". Some of my own favorites of those are: Baked Cinnamon Roll, Lucky Shot, Pink Lemonade, Blue Raspberry Slush, Succulent Strawberry, and the Blueberry. Two of those are pretty potent, so you may want to start at about 5% for most of them and about 3-4% for the Succulent Strawberry and the Blueberry. You can always add more if you'd like it stronger, but I'd wait about 3-4 days before doing that. Some seem to get alittle stronger as they age a little. Many of us also make a combination eliquid, with some of the Lucky Shot + their Lotta Latte. I use Lucky Shot @ 6-7% + Lotta Latte @ 5% in my mix.

They have an on-going coupon code to us for a discount on your order, too. Use either: ECF or JFK in your Shopping Cart to receive the discount. If you sign up for their newsletter, you'll also get emails about sales they have for even bigger discounts, too.

So...hopefully others will be along shortly to tell you about the other websites and their one shot concentrates or all-in-one flavorings. I don't think you can "go wrong" using any of them, especially as a new DIYer.

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
There are lots of places you can buy flavorings, and which ones are considered "the best"...will be different for each person who does DIY. So I'll offer a suggestion of a "type" of flavorings instead, based on them being very easy for anyone to use as they're first learning how to DIY.

They're called one shot concentrates, or all-in-one flavorings, or by a variety of different names. What they all are though, are already combined/blended flavorings that you just add singly to your own PG, VG, and nic base to make some really good finished eliquid.

However, in your case, based on what you plan to order...your PG, VG, and nic will already be mixed when you get it. So all you'll need to do is add some of 1 of these flavorings to it! There are several well-known and popular vendors who carry this type of flavorings, and many of us on the ECF use them.

The info below is for just 1 of those popular vendors, because I haven't tried any from other ones. I'm hoping other people who've used different vendors, will post those websites and some of their favorites from them, too.

OneStopDIYShop - On their website, the flavorings that you can use singly like above, are their "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". Some of my own favorites of those are: Baked Cinnamon Roll, Lucky Shot, Pink Lemonade, Blue Raspberry Slush, Succulent Strawberry, and the Blueberry. Two of those are pretty potent, so you may want to start at about 5% for most of them and about 3-4% for the Succulent Strawberry and the Blueberry. You can always add more if you'd like it stronger, but I'd wait about 3-4 days before doing that. Some seem to get alittle stronger as they age a little. Many of us also make a combination eliquid, with some of the Lucky Shot + their Lotta Latte. I use Lucky Shot @ 6-7% + Lotta Latte @ 5% in my mix.

They have an on-going coupon code to us for a discount on your order, too. Use either: ECF or JFK in your Shopping Cart to receive the discount. If you sign up for their newsletter, you'll also get emails about sales they have for even bigger discounts, too.

So...hopefully others will be along shortly to tell you about the other websites and their one shot concentrates or all-in-one flavorings. I don't think you can "go wrong" using any of them, especially as a new DIYer.

Thank you, I will definitely be checking them out!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
if no one hears from me tomorrow it is because my wife has removed my internet access due to serious addiction to shiny things and DIY ejuice spending :D

Aw...just give it some more time, if you think you already have a serious addiction to shiny things and DIY juice stuff. You've only been a member for not even 2 full days yet! As they say..."You ain't seen nuthin' yet"! You've just begun falling down the rabbit hole of no return, and we have a bunch of enablers on here who will gladly help you spend your money! :D

Seriously though, I think you'll real like the OSDIY flavorings, their fast shipping, the little "goodie bag" you get with each order, their great customer service, etc. It's a small, 1-family, owned/run business, and many of us on here love dealing with them. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@JCinFLA I went to the website you suggested and so far have already added $16 to my cart in samples alone :thumbs:if no one hears from me tomorrow it is because my wife has removed my internet access due to serious addiction to shiny things and DIY ejuice spending :D

If you are on OSDIY, these are Kinda a Must...

One Stop Flavors - Blue Raspberry Slush - 10mL

Flavor Apprentice - Vanilla Bean Icecream* - 10mL

And this is something that Many People like...

Flavor Apprentice - Sweetener - 15mL

And you going to need a few of these...

Syringe with Blunt Tip Needle

And you'll Need a Couple of these...

Amber Glass Bottle - 1 oz

And for Only 99 Cents, you might as well get 2 or 3 of these...

Funnel

And a 50ml Beaker Never hurts...

Borosilicate Glass Beaker

I should Probably Stop before someone Accuses me of being an Enabler.

LOL

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@MrsWood - To show you that while we're very good at being enablers, we're also very friendly and helpful...if you'll PM me your mailing info., I'll send the following to you - for free! You can save a little $$ that way, and I'll be just helping a DIY newbie with some extras of new DIY things I have to spare.

Little samples of OSDIY: Blue Raspberry Slush, Pink Lemonade, Succulent Strawberry, Blueberry, and Lucky Shot (if you'd like to try any/all of those)

Syringes & blunt needle tips: A couple different mL capacities + a few 14ga. blunt needle tips

Beakers: I'll send a 25mL and a 50mL

I have a tendency to buy things "in quantity", and it would be my pleasure to do it. :)

Last edited:

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
@MrsWood - To show you that while we're very good at being enablers, we're also very friendly and helpful...if you'll PM me your mailing info., I'll send the following to you - for free! You can save a little $$ that way, and I'll be just helping a DIY newbie with some extras of new DIY things I have to spare.

Little samples of OSDIY: Blue Raspberry Slush, Pink Lemonade, Succulent Strawberry, Blueberry, and Lucky Shot (if you'd like to try any/all of those)

Syringes & blunt needle tips: A couple different mL capacities + a few 14ga. blunt needle tips

Beakers: I'll send a 25mL and a 50mL

I have a tendency to buy things "in quantity", and it would be my pleasure to do it. :)

Oh wow...I don't even know what to say. Thank you doesn't begin to express my appreciation for this! Thank you so much, I will PM you shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread