The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Making my own flavor shots

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by gpjoe, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    OK, admittedly I am a n00b at DIY, though I have already discovered the simplicity of mixing by weight (had a scale on hand for reloading my ammo :)) and have found a few recipes that I will be vaping until my palate rejects them or I'm pushing daisies.

My question is regarding making my own premixed flavor shots. Let's say I mix up just the flavors for a recipe and put it aside. When I want to mix the juice it would be simple to just add the pre-mixed flavors to my nic base in the desired percentage and shake.

Really, I'm wondering if the resulting juice would be "pre-steeped" since the flavors would have been melding together for a while before being mixed into the base.

Just musing here, as it really isn't hard to mix up a batch of juice from scratch, but I am intrigued at the idea of having a more mature juice that's as easy as a shake-n-vape.

• Like Like x 6
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Don't know, haven't tried it, but I say why not, your theory could be correct, and either way, if you have your flavors out.... For what length of time, though? Because I could see the flavors equally "muddying" each other in a way that they might not with other ingredients, although I base that on... absolutely nothing. I'd say try a couple and see what happens, at best, you don't have to drag all your flavors out every time, at worst, you get an oversteeped juice if such a thing exists, which I'm not entirely sure that it does.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
  3. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    You bring up a good point. Being together for too long may be a detriment to the "freshness" of the flavors. I have no idea, but I'm sure the chemists working in the McDonald's and Burger King laboratories would.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    I'm going to say no, it's not going to be the same as pre-steeping for the simple fact there has been no time for the flavors to fully integrate with your eliquid base.. (i.e. your VG/pg and nicotine solution)

However, if it's a more complex recipe you are allowing the flavors to fully integrate with one another which will likely be beneficial, but likely you will still need to add it at a higher percentage for SNV than you would if you your taking the time to steep it, based on the fact there is not time for integration with your base.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I do some flavor shots and no they are not "steeped" just pre-blended. Steeping is the base and flavors settling in.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    Well, if that is the case, I'll just keep mixing from scratch, but in larger quantities.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    If you use lemon don't add in a large batch. They fade fairly quickly. Just pull 20-30 ml from your batch and add lemon as needed. Id I want lemon in a juice that needs a long steep I don't add the lemon until I'm about ready to vape the mix.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. MsLoud

MsLoud Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I tired this with my beloved Peanut Brittle. Made 4 40ml shot batches. There was a very noticeable difference from the first to the last - by the 3rd shot I knew there was a difference in taste and freshness - by the 4th - it was unvapeable.

You see, I don't like my PB steeped. I like it fresh which means 30 to 40ml made weekly to keep it fresh for me. Those amounts can go around 7 days. I was hoping the shot would be the answer to. It needing to drag out everything and measure. It wasn't. Now, I just mark the bottle and add the flavors then top it off with VG/Nic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.