MalwareBytes Alert when view forum thread, false positive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
Earlier today I viewed a web page containing messages #5121 through #5136 in the "MVS Giveaway" thread in the MyVaporStore forum without a problem. Now when I review a page of messages #5121 through #5160 of the same thread I get a warning popup from MalwareBytes informing that it blocked a malicious out going connection to 109.163.226.78. I suspect that one of the messages in the #5137 to #5160 group has a bad link in it. I don't know if MalwareBytes is having a false positive or not, but thought best to report it. Thanks!

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
It could be that you're getting the warning from content hotlinked from another site. I've encountered that before where the problem wasn't actually the forum (both on this forum and others), but instead was actually triggered by an avatar/signature/embedded image.

I'm not too familiar with malwarebytes, but if there's a way to view details about the warning you can (with most programs) see the url that is actually responsible for the warning

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
The only thing MalwareBytes is reporting in its log is the IP address I gave in my original post.

The problem seems to originate from a image posted in message #5144. It would be the center picture of a butterfly with a bunch of flowers. In enabling/disabling the MalwareBytes option to block offending websites causes the image to disappear/appear.

I did notice in viewing the page source that quite a few references to "AustraliaBound.org ip tracer" are made. I assume that this reference is normal since the same reference can be found on forum pages that MalwareBytes doesn't hit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread