Man i have alot of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

schusteb

Jun 25, 2010
Chicago IL
Seems like I keep making problems for myself, guess thats why its a learning process lol....

So i direct drip and was originally cleaning out my 510 attys every day with a water rinse, coke bath over night and another water rinse/dry out the rest of the day.... I've since found out that this is overkill and actually could be hurting the life of my attys.... however it is too late, and each of those has been cleaned at least once.... ever since then, it seems like it takes a long time for these attys to get going.... in the beginning I get little to no vapor, and even after awhile, I get very small amounts... Now I dont think my atty is flooded, because I still get some vapor, and when it runs out, I can tell because of the burnt metal taste... It usually takes all day now to get them performing where I want them to.... Is there anything I can do, or do I need new attys?

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
I would let them dry out several days & do what is called a dry burn..some people press button with out liquid in atty to see it glow for a few seconds...others I've heard will take a lighter & aim the flame into the atty for a few seconds..repeating a couple of times..there is no promise these things will work for you & you should always use caution..but I've tried these things & have brought back atty's that I thought were dead.:2c:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
It is sometimes hard to pin down a problem when we're new to this. An issue like you're having, weak vapor (assuming weak throat hit too) can unfortunately be too much liquid (flood) or too little liquid. It can also be a battery that is not coming up to the proper voltage.

I don't think you killed your attys by washing them so often. But, don't do that anymore. LOL From the sound of your post you don't have all that many attys? I would suggest you get a few more. This is not only money well spent but you will be happy one day when you can reach for one.

I hate suggesting to anyone to spend money on something they may not need. But, in your case, I would suggest you make that small investment in a few atomizers to help discern what the issue is and simply because we all need to have spares.

Good luck.

brian1g

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2010
Texas panhandle
Welcome to ecf schusteb!

Attys can be really frustrating at first but you'll get the hang of it!

I think great advice has already been given. One thing I would recommend - don't throw your old attys away, sometimes they can be salvaged (do a search for bridge removal).

When you go to order your new attys do yourself a favor and get a pack of cartomizers. I first ordered them as backups but liked them so much I have ditched regular attys.

Happy vaping!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
An atty is a pretty simple device mechanically and electrically. It helps if you can look at and understand how it works. This is a good post -> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mizer-step-step-801-901s-too.html#post1312948

I average an atty washout about once in two weeks. The rest of the time I turn it over and blow into it from the threaded end with the large tailpipe end over a paper towel. It takes just a minute and gets all the slightly burned juice out. You'll get a drop or two out normally or several drops if it's flooded. Once I do this I'm good to go for a day or so.

Another cause for low vapor and burnt metallic taste is a dry atty. This is usually caused by the wicking not contacting the bridge sufficiently. When you look at the filler material in the cart, there should be an indention where the bridge contacts the filler. The filler may have slid back into the cart, become compressed, or just hardened and in need of replacing.

I have found Kristin's Pyramid Tea Bag mod to be one of the best -> http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/52430-ptb-straw-mod-ptb-made-easy.html

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Some members never wash their attys and get months of use from them...just blow them out regularly.

If you hear a gurgling sound with little vapor, then it's definitely flooded. Blow them out as Dave suggested...I usually blow from the tailpipe end, threads down, into a tissue...but either way works. Blow hard several times until nothing more comes out on the tissue. Then try vaping with long slow draws...vapor should gradually increase.

If not, then the best method is the link DC provided...works great at bringing atties back.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread