Marlboro Representatives came into my store...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I really had no idea big tobacco is so powerful. Look how quick they were able to get roll your own and stuff your own shops shut down after the Obama tax on cigarettes. Oh, wait. RYO and SYO shops are all over- even on the internet. If they were not able to shut down the RYO and SYO business- which really hurt them in the pocket, why would anyone think they would be able to get e-nic banned?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Yes I agree BT is just one small part of how corporate America is ruining our way of life.

It all comes down to deep pockets.

Ask anyone who has ever wanted to keep the protection that Mother Nature put along the shorelines.......sand dunes. Then, when the deep pockets bring their philadelphia lawyers along with their bulldozers to build a condo project which obliterates those dunes, see how far you get. ;)

What I always found particularly humorous, but in a sick kind of way, was that after they do that, they will put little signs out along the beach path on the tiny 1/2 foot high sand mounds that used to be actual dunes, that says "be careful, don't tread on the sand dunes!"

really, you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The name of the game is $$ and always will be.

Marius_Kingsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Hillsboro, OR
In the end, BT is going to benefit from vapers. In the long run, if vaping takes over the market, we're still going to need BT to grow the tobacco for the nicotine. We're not going to put them out of business. They're just going to start making their own juices and hardware. And I'm not opposed to that, as long as it keeps being 3 ingredients.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
In the end, BT is going to benefit from vapers. In the long run, if vaping takes over the market, we're still going to need BT to grow the tobacco for the nicotine. We're not going to put them out of business. They're just going to start making their own juices and hardware. And I'm not opposed to that, as long as it keeps being 3 ingredients.

I can grow my own tobacco, even though its technically illegal, I can make my own mods if I educate myself, I can DIY, and I can rebuild attys. I don't need them at all.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I worked for a major oil company for the better part of my working life. Started out as a teen working and maintaining and ended as a manager of multiple OG&L/C store locations. Had a lot of dealings with all the BT reps and some of their bosses. Always enjoyed beating them down for coupons and promotional items.

OP, I know you like your rep, but she's a scumbag too. She gets paid to be nice to you and your boss in order to maintain and increase her 'numbers'. Trust me, that's all you represent is numbers/unit sales.

chillaxing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
los angeles, ca
In Japan, Marlboro's representatives are scantily-clad Japanese girls giving out free packs. I find myself taking free packs even though I don't smoke :p
They use to do that here at clubs ands bars back in 04.

its illegal to grow tobacco now?
No its not illegal to grow your own tobacco. You can grow it and sell it to BT if you had enough farm land and the right climate. Thats how it works for produce and livestock. It cost to much for big companies to have there own fields and supply what they need. So they rely on the little guys.

darkstorm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
Colorado
www.vaportrailz.com
No its not illegal to grow your own tobacco. You can grow it and sell it to BT if you had enough farm land and the right climate. Thats how it works for produce and livestock. It cost to much for big companies to have there own fields and supply what they need. So they rely on the little guys.

Correct, it is not illegal to grow your own tobacco. It is not illegal to distill your own spirits. It is however illegal to sell either product to the public directly. Doing so invites the wrath of the appropriately named ATF.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I am not sure BT could make a better device than ProVape. Sure they have money, sure Altria has manufacturing facilities. Are they set up to build a high quality mod with all domestic parts made to demanding specifications? No, they are not. Nor does this suit their business model.

Making Provaris is what ProVape does. It is the prime source of everything the company was, is, and most likely ever will be. It is the mission of ProVape to do this, and they have a corporate culture that is perfect for doing just this.

So I cannot say it is impossible that BT could do it, but I can say they would have some very significant challenges, and failure would be quite possible. No matter how good the PV, many people would steadfastly refuse to buy it because they HATE BT. ProVape faces no such ill will.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I think most people who use electronic cigarettes aren't anti-big tobacco zealots. This board is more the extreme than the norm. If they make a good product and advertise it well, people will buy it. Even if they don't make a good product, but advertise it well, people will buy it.
I chose to smoke cigarettes. Big Tobacco didn't force me to.

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
I think most people who use electronic cigarettes aren't anti-big tobacco zealots. This board is more the extreme than the norm. If they make a good product and advertise it well, people will buy it. Even if they don't make a good product, but advertise it well, people will buy it.
I chose to smoke cigarettes. Big Tobacco didn't force me to.

Sure, people will buy it, but I want a buck for every person flooding the New Members forum afterwards :D

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Yes I agree BT is just one small part of how corporate America is ruining our way of life.

Was watching one of my DVDs last night, Bob Dylan said (talking about the famous folk song): "This Land is Your Land and This Land is My Land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway."

Cracked me up. :)

Also said: "You can't be wise and in love at the same time." Boy, that's fer sure too.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
someone is always your drug dealer- wherever you get your equipment and juice from is your drug dealer. you can say" but I don't put nicotine in my juice"- doesn't matter, your drug is vaping . like boats? your boat dealer is your drug dealer. like golf? the pro-shop and equipment manufacturers are your drug dealer. drugs don't have to be chemicals, its anything you enjoy and/or need that requires continual monetary output. that's what this country is all about- the only reason they hate real drugs is it keeps you from spending on the"drugs" THEY want to sell, whatever they are.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I don't know why but I was thinking about how awful it is to be a smoker at 99.9% of all jobs, and how everyone is getting hiked for health ins by being a smoker...etc.

and I thought while reading this thread "Hmm...wonder what BT does about employees who smoke"

interesting thought...

My cousin does IT/networking/whatever it's called. He was contracted to a Phillip Morris office building somewhere. They had vending machines (like a common snack machine) where employees could swipe their ID for a free pack once a day.

He was so mad that they didn't give him free smokes that he changed to Newports. He was an outside contractor, not a PM employee.

He didn't mention if they could or couldn't smoke inside. I doubt it. I'm pretty sure no one complained about cigarette breaks though.

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
My cousin does IT/networking/whatever it's called.

Thats always the problem in this field. you say "I'm a network engineer with a specialty in next gen firewalls and a systems admin with exchange, VM, and storage exp" and people look at you like you're from another planet.
for the non-nerds I don't even say IT - when asked what I do I generally say "i'm the head computer geek"

that seems good enough ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread