Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
As pointed out by sonicbomb - married batteries are especially critical in series mech mods. In such a configuration the same current is pulled through both batteries. If one can't keep up - bad things can happen.

I keep all of my batteries married and NEVER split them. If I do split - they go in the "single" pile permanently. Small price to pay, IMO, to keep my face beautiful.

Another point I want to bring up is in regards to 2/3 and 2/4 mods:

I'm guessing that a lot of people who use these just add a third and/or fourth battery to the original two. I would not, which means for a 2/3 mod I would need 5 batteries - a married set of two and another married set of three - to swap out the entire set when switching between the 2-battery and 3-battery configurations.

Which is why I won't own that type of mod.

To each their own. And even though I have driven over 90, I would never "live a little, take a chance, unbuckle that seat belt....You only live once so have some fun", I won't ever risk a maiming injury over a 10 dollar battery. That's not fun, just stupidity, IMO.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
The batteries that I was addressing now started to be in use in my Revenger. Now I know married batteries are critical with mechs but mine is regulated. After these batteries are time to charge, I place them on the charger and one will read 6.8V and the other 7.8V. About a volt difference between each other, even tough I charged them fully. Is this very not good for a regulated mod specifically? I did pick up another set that are fully married though. I will accept any answer and if I have to will stop using those batteries.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Don't accept any answer, accept the right one :) To be honest, I wouldn't use those batteries as married, honestly. I try to stick to battery safety as best I can and honestly, I'd just start using the new married pair you have. A volt is somewhat significant IMO. You might not run into problems now, but more so at the end of your married pair's lifecycle, I'd think, though. I'm NOT a battery expert so I tend to try and go with best practice as much as I can.

Is your married pair more similar in voltage/charging? If so, that should show the reason for married battery pairs, IMO.

Then again, someone with far more experience than me may come along and say that's exactly fine. But, I personally wouldn't do it, just because it's not worth it to me.... A couple more decent batteries for a married pair shouldn't cost too much for more peace of mind.

Anna

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
This would be a great topic for Mooch to chime in on. I have no idea if he is a member, lol. I can only share what I do with regulated mods. I don't pretend to have discovered any "best practice" here. It's simply what I do. I've not been given block diagrams or schematics to mods that show battery status on individual batteries when two more batteries are used so I don't know how they are accomplishing that. I do know on a dna device for example, there is simply a B+ and B- input to the pcb. Therein, the two batteries are simply wired either series or parallel to provide the proper input voltage. Within the pcb protections exist e.g. low voltage so there is some inherent safety here. There is also the buffer of the dc to dc converter. All of that in mind, I match batteries. I keep a close eye on them. Even in the case of "married" batteries, all batteries just are not created equal and can wear differently. So far I have been able to weed out poor performing batteries successfully.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
This would be a great topic for Mooch to chime in on. I have no idea if he is a member, lol. I can only share what I do with regulated mods. I don't pretend to have discovered any "best practice" here. It's simply what I do. I've not been given block diagrams or schematics to mods that show battery status on individual batteries when two more batteries are used so I don't know how they are accomplishing that. I do know on a dna device for example, there is simply a B+ and B- input to the pcb. Therein, the two batteries are simply wired either series or parallel to provide the proper input voltage. Within the pcb protections exist e.g. low voltage so there is some inherent safety here. There is also the buffer of the dc to dc converter. All of that in mind, I match batteries. I keep a close eye on them. Even in the case of "married" batteries, all batteries just are not created equal and can wear differently. So far I have been able to weed out poor performing batteries successfully.
Mooch has been running tests on that exact topic for a good while now but we're still awaiting the results. And yes, he's a member here :)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Mooch has been running tests on that exact topic for a good while now but we're still awaiting the results. And yes, he's a member here :)

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Wow! That is great to know. That guy is on top of his game. Battery safety is definitely a concern with these devices. I had one VT75 that was getting warm only on the bottom of the mod. Sure enough it developed a high joint in the threads of the battery cap. Cleaned the hell out of it and all is well but had it been left unattended it could have become a real problem. Of course the PCB didn't have a clue.

Reactions: stols001

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Wow! That is great to know. That guy is on top of his game. Battery safety is definitely a concern with these devices. I had one VT75 that was getting warm only on the bottom of the mod. Sure enough it developed a high joint in the threads of the battery cap. Cleaned the hell out of it and all is well but had it been left unattended it could have become a real problem. Of course the PCB didn't have a clue.
He started the testing a while back (about 18 months ago) and hopefully will post the results soon.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I got some sense knocked into me and I stopped using those "Close to married" but not married batteries. I figured that if it's something I'm doing that has not been fully tested with results so I don't know facts. It's always better to stay away from the unknown, especially with batteries. Safety frirst.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
These are the same batteries that I just bought brand new and married them. Do some mods not use them evenly? Is it my charger that is wrong?
20171014_122038.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't imagine ANY mod uses batteries completely evenly, and it's also going to depend where you are at with your battery strength when you use them on the charger. I'm doubtful it's your charger, but I'm not completely certain that the situation above is a problem. I guess you could mark them R and L or something, and see if one consistently discharges more than the other (I imagine there might be some variation) if you are really interested in the results. What mod are you using?

I could be completely incorrect and this could be cause for concern, I certainly am not ruling that out...

Anna

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I can't imagine ANY mod uses batteries completely evenly, and it's also going to depend where you are at with your battery strength when you use them on the charger. I'm doubtful it's your charger, but I'm not completely certain that the situation above is a problem. I guess you could mark them R and L or something, and see if one consistently discharges more than the other (I imagine there might be some variation) if you are really interested in the results. What mod are you using?

I could be completely incorrect and this could be cause for concern, I certainly am not ruling that out...

Anna
Actually I was jumping to conclusions. My mistake, sorry. If you look back at the picture I posted the battery on the left was not pushed in all the way down so my charger wasn't reading both batteries properly together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread