The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Marriott Fines Guest for Vaping

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by StotheK, Nov 11, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Xaria

Xaria Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 23, 2011
    Back in the Holler-VA
    Sounds interesting, I will be tuning in!

2. skydragon

skydragon ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2009
    Mountain Cave
    Many cases such as this would come down to what a "reasonable" person would think and how they would act. In my opinion, a reasonable person would not expect a no smoking rule to apply to vaping. If a company wants to include e-cigs, they need to display that e-cigs are included in said policy.

In case the credit card company just doesn't get it................ MaryAnn still has the option of a civil suit. Which I would suggest. I bring this up for a reason. We always think we don't have the money but in reality, it just isn't worth it for large companies to go to court over something like this. We have small claims courts and it is not overly expensive. (if you file, make sure you include all expenses to you in your complaint. Court costs etc.) THEY have very expensive attorneys. Two Hundred Fifty dollars is probably about fifteen minutes of time for their attorneys. Again, not worth it for them. You have to send a letter of intent first though. At least here. States do vary in the process and where a complaint has to be filed.

I wonder if the maids get a bonus for turning someone in? Maybe a civil suit against the maid as well for all the hassle. Might teach her not to lie.

3. Ande

Ande Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2011
    Korea
    agree with several other posters- the issue isn't exactly allowing or not allowing vaping.

The issue is that adding rules after the fact is inherently unjust. A reasonable person would NOT have known that vaping was included in their smoking ban.

Best,
    Ande

4. wdave

wdave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    As soon as ecigs were ruled to be a tobacco product, ecig users should be on the lookout for ecigs being treated like tobacco.

5. StotheK

StotheK Reviewer / Blogger ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2011
    Knoxville
    A little bit of a fallacy since things that are definitely not considered smoking like chewing tobacco are also tobacco products.

6. wdave

wdave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Tell it to General Electric and other major corporations who immediately revised their bans on smoking to include ecigs.

7. radiokaos

radiokaos Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is topic is going to pop up more and more.

Side note....

Does anyone else see something in this photo... from the original post?

[​IMG]

8. StotheK

StotheK Reviewer / Blogger ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2011
    Knoxville
  9. Eddie.Willers

Eddie.Willers ECF Wiki SysOp Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 3, 2011
    Prairie Canada
    Looks like a face in the smoke - the O of the lips just by the second finger...someone coughing at that nasty, smelly, burny terbacker cigaret?

10. Ande

Ande Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2011
    Korea
    Exactly the point of this thread, in my opinion.

GE revised their policy. They saw the need to do this, because although they wished to prohibit ecig usage, they understood that simply "no smoking" did not mean "or ecigs, either."

If ecigs come to be considered tobacco products (and this is a grey area, but I imagine they will), they still don't become "cigarettes." Existing smoking bans don't apply. If a company or individual wants to ban ecigs, they need to revise their policies to show it.

Certainly snus, which I sometimes use, is a tobacco product. But it wouldn't occur to me that, since it is a tobacco product, it's not allowed in non-smoking areas.

Best,
    Ande

11. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2011
    Katy, Texas
    In the picture, it's a little fuzzy bear head. Undoubtedly choking to death. ;)

I firmly believe the manager of this particular hotel quit smoking the hard way, and is forever resentful.

12. mooreted

mooreted Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2011
    California
    The prohibitionists seem to think we should quit everything and become vegan Buddhists.

13. pnguin

pnguin Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I work in customer service for a bank. Dispute the charge and let the banks dispute department fight it out with Marriot. It costs nothing to file a dispute and the money could be returned.

14. 6pointprime

6pointprime Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2010
    NYC
  15. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Yes! There's a white headed Rhesus monkey with eye glasses just above the left pointer finger... head of the FDA? [​IMG]

(Go ahead and admit it... you see him too!)
    [​IMG]

16. Green Mtn Vpr

Green Mtn Vpr Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2011
    VT
    Mary Ann or anybody in the know: Any update? Would love to know how this played out...

17. Knifemaker

Knifemaker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 17, 2010
    Central Texas
    As far as I am concerned, I do not smoke. I use Advaire Diskus Inhalator, along with Ventolin HFA Inhalator.
    I used, and still use a V-3 to aid in my quest to stop smokeing. And it has worked wonders.

The Dr.'s that work my case, see the V-3 as just one of the tools used to fight my COPD condition.
    The Hospital where they work is VERY Non-Smokeing! Yet they see the V-3 From Pure-Smoker as really helping in the control of my symtoms. ( In keeping tobbaco products out of my life) In other words, as far as I am concerned, The V-3 is a vaporizer, or inhalator. (You may prefer the term nebulizer) I do not refer to it as an E-Cig.

What is the difference you may ask? To you and I, as vaporers, nothing. But when I first showed it to the Dr.'s, I presented it as a vaporizer. Not an E-Cig. The reaction was very positive. They were very courious, and inquisitive about it. In the Past, in similar situations, when questioned about the V-3, I learned that if I introduced it as an electronic Cig.,or E-Cig, the reactions in similar venues was immediately hostal. The first thing on the questioners mind became Cig's. Not a device to help the patient, but rather a device to cause harm. I had already Planted the seed of a cigaratte in their minds. I had already lost the battle before it started.
    It has been mentioned on the forum's many times. We should in most cases, NOT introduce them as E-Cigs. Other than to actual smokers that may want to try them to quit real cigs. ( As this helps most times in the explination and transition from tobacco. As if they don't first see it as a real Cig, they wont even try it. This is one of the reasons most first time E-cig. purchacers want a device that looks like a real Cig. You know. The people we call Noob's.)
    We are our own worst enemy here Folks.

If the Lady in question had said NO! I don't smoke, The device I question I was useing is an Inhaleator, more than likely, that would have been the end of it.

We are many times our own worst enemy. A little fore thought and common sense can go a long way.
    We need to learn to dodge and get around the typical beuracrats trying to control all our lives. Whether Government, or self important Hotel managers. They are not the only one's who can use words and phrases to their advantage.
    Learn the lingo, and use it on them.
    Screws them up every time!I have used this technique in Resturants, Bar's, Malls, Departmant Stores, Hospitals, You name it. It has worked every time.

Remember, Stealth is your friend! But there are still times when you get caught. In every case, when aproached, and questioned, or told, SIR, THIS is a NO SMOKING Est.! (You have all heard these stern, condecending remarks), I reply, Yes Sir, Or Mam, I don't smoke. "Period". The next thing out of their mouths is, then what is that? I reply- I have a lung disease, and this is my vaporiser. I say this in a firm, as a mater of fact, and confident way. In almost each and every case, the store employee, or Mgr, immediately apologises. :2cool: The only other resposne I have ever gotten was, " Oh, That different" I have never seen anything like that before. ;)(I love it when that happens!)

Word of caution here. It helps "A Lot"! if the device doesn't look like a Real Cig! And words printed on it like E-Cig, Smoke and smoker, you have already lost. It won't help in you efforts. Neither will little blinking lights. This is where the common sense part comes in. If it doesn't look like a Cig, in many peoples mind, it isn't a Cig.!;)
    In fact, I am thinking about having a medical staff logo etched on the V-3, or Med. Vaporiser etched on it.
    Since I can etch it on myself, Might as well do it!:2cool:

Try to control your life rather than letting strangers do it for you. I think you will find that life is more enjoyable.;) I mean, isn't this why many of us switched to E's in the first place?

I have been smoke free for almost two years now. (as of Jan. 2nd), and will Never go back to analogs. Unless the damed gov. ( Read FDA), in it's ignorance Ban's or E's!

KnifeMaker

18. Twisty

Twisty Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Bridgeton, MO USA
  19. Pepe Le Vapse

Pepe Le Vapse Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2011
    St Louis MO
    Ya the beginning is rough but he does address some good points .. worth a listen..

I am in the dark .. How many podcast's are there out there for us Vapers ..... I know about the ***tv's camcast, but mp3 type podcasts, I don't know .. (I am a TWIT -Leo Laport fan) Ya Ya.. please no snide remarks :D

Call me slow or old but I like the radio type format over the camcast video ... and yes i listen to audio books as well :thumbs:

Back OT..
    Has anyone realized that Marriott is a major political corp... thus generating negative headlines for ???? on one hand does this help or hinder our cause??
    just my :2c: its late im tired and good food and a great bottle of wine make for scatter brain remarks.. :D

20. Stormiefury

Stormiefury Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Wylie, TX
    I think it's more about how much money can we squeeze from every single person who walks in the door no matter what it is they try an nit pick at everything possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.