Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Knifemaker; In other words, as far as I am concerned, The V-3 is a vaporizer, or inhalator. (You may prefer the term nebulizer) I do not refer to it as an E-Cig.

Enjoyed your post Knifemaker! It would be a great advantage for us if everyone referred to ecigs as "Vaporizers", I know I will from now on.

Remember, Stealth is your friend!

If more would keep this in mind instead of showing off their expensive toys there might be a little less flack. There are way too many people who see these and don't or don't want to distinguish the difference.

Errol

Katy

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Here's a start:

Marriott Corporate Office | Headquarters
600 Unicorn Park Drive Woburn, MA 01801
(781)537-5204

I'm going to write them and ask if there would be a problem using PORTABLE NEBULIZERS anywhere in their hotels. Fact is, that is what we are using and what my doctor calls my device. It is better for my blood pressure & lungs than a conventional cigarette.

fb305

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Kentucky
I'm going to write them and ask if there would be a problem using PORTABLE NEBULIZERS anywhere in their hotels. Fact is, that is what we are using and what my doctor calls my device. It is better for my blood pressure & lungs than a conventional cigarette.

Of course they will say the use of a nebulizer will be alright in their hotel but if they catch you using a PV they could still fine you because a PV and a nebulizer are not the same thing. A nebulizer uses a mist to deliver medication and a PV uses vapor to deliver nicotine. Your Dr. may call your PV a nebulizer but he or she is wrong because it isn't. I don't agree with the stance of the hotel by any means but if that's their rules they can still fine you. I would just use your PV and not let them see you while there, because there is no way they would even know you're using it if they don't see it.

Katy

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Speaking of Marriott and their policies, my husband and I ran into another type situation when we had to evacuate due to hurricane Rita a few years ago. Governor Perry (Texas) said that all those in evacuation zones were not to be charged any taxes and they should take their pets with them as all hotels were informed that they would have to accept pets. Since we were in an evacuation zone in Houston, off we went in that mass of exiting traffic. We finally found a hotel with a room west of Dallas. It was a Marriott. When we went to check out they had added a "pet fee" to our bill. I immediately demanded to see the manager who tried to tell me it was their "policy." I informed him that the governor had changed the policy for evacuating people ... the manager said he would check it out. A few minutes later he came back out of his office and told the clerk to take the pet fee off our bill. Marriott's may have nice accomodations but too many stupid rules and un-informed employees.

fb305

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Kentucky
Speaking of Marriott and their policies, my husband and I ran into another type situation when we had to evacuate due to hurricane Rita a few years ago. Governor Perry (Texas) said that all those in evacuation zones were not to be charged any taxes and they should take their pets with them as all hotels were informed that they would have to accept pets. Since we were in an evacuation zone in Houston, off we went in that mass of exiting traffic. We finally found a hotel with a room west of Dallas. It was a Marriott. When we went to check out they had added a "pet fee" to our bill. I immediately demanded to see the manager who tried to tell me it was their "policy." I informed him that the governor had changed the policy for evacuating people ... the manager said he would check it out. A few minutes later he came back out of his office and told the clerk to take the pet fee off our bill. Marriott's may have nice accomodations but too many stupid rules and un-informed employees.

You know it would seem that in this economy that businesses would be bending over backwards to get and keep your business but it seems like the opposite is true. They just seem to be getting worse with horrible customer service and more useless fees and fines. Doesn't make any sense to me.

plessdude

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2011
the burgh
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just couldn't resist posting to this thread. I have a unique perspective on this subject as both a hotel owner and a user of ecigs. Charging people a $250 fee for smoking in one of my rooms is a very sensitive issue and represents a constant challenge for me. Most people figure it is just a way that a hotel can tack on an additional charge and pocket a bit of money. Unfortunately that is far from reality. When a guest smokes in a room it presents three problems for the hotel.

First and foremost is that the room has to be shut down. When a guest checks out rooms are inspected and any work that needs be performed is generally done between the checkout and checkin times. Usually that is done during a four hour window. When a guest has smoked in the room we immediately have to take that room off the availability and schedule it for a deep clean. During peak times, like the weekend, this is a way hotels lose revenue. Between the time the room is shut down, the deep cleaning is performed, and the room can be put back in availability an average of three days goes by. If you are charging an average of $150/night then the cost in lost revenue is $450.

Second is the actual cost of the deep cleaning. In a typical hotel room where a guest has stayed for one night a housekeeper can expect to spend between 30 and 45 minutes in that room. When someone smokes we need to perform a deep cleaning which means every surface in the room is wiped down including the walls and ceiling, all upholstery is steam cleaned and the carpets are shampooed. The cost alone for the upholstery and carpet cleaning, which is generally done by an outside service for smaller hotels, is around $150. A housekeeper can expect to spend at least double to triple the amount of time in that room than for a normal stay.

Third is the simple fact that even after all of these steps are done the smell can still linger. If the next guest who checks in still smells smoke we need to either move them, which shuts the original suite down again, or we need to take an extreme step which is to repaint the room.

At the end of the day its a bad situation for both the hotel, the guest who feels slighted for having to pay the fine, and the next guest in that room who might be bothered by any lingering smell. Believe me, I hate when I get a report of someone smoking cause it is generally a huge headache for everyone involved. The simple thing to do is to just not smoke in the room. All the being said, I have yet to notice any guest vaping in our rooms. Since I am a huge proponent of using electronic cigarettes I would not mind if a guest used one and have been tempted recently to sell them at the front desk. Although I can't speak for the Marriott or any other big chain hotel I can say that these kinds of situations are more of an issue for the hotel than the guest. I agree that this women should not have been charged and generally most hotel GM's air of the side of the guest in these situations. Most hotels would rather not upset the guest and enforcing the smoking fine is not something that is done loosely. The best thing that people like us can do is educate places that do not yet know the ins and outs of using an electronic cigarette. Although I would love to see people boycott Marriott (they are a direct competitor of mine) I think we need to remember that this experience represents a tiny minority. If the GM of that hotel doesn't understand how ecigs are different he/she is only looking at this from the perspective of thinking this is no different than regular smoking and they are reacting out of the frustration hotels go through when a guest decides to smoke in a room.

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just couldn't resist posting to this thread. I have a unique perspective on this subject as both a hotel owner and a user of ecigs. Charging people a $250 fee for smoking in one of my rooms is a very sensitive issue and represents a constant challenge for me. Most people figure it is just a way that a hotel can tack on an additional charge and pocket a bit of money. Unfortunately that is far from reality. When a guest smokes in a room it presents three problems for the hotel.

First and foremost is that the room has to be shut down. When a guest checks out rooms are inspected and any work that needs be performed is generally done between the checkout and checkin times. Usually that is done during a four hour window. When a guest has smoked in the room we immediately have to take that room off the availability and schedule it for a deep clean. During peak times, like the weekend, this is a way hotels lose revenue. Between the time the room is shut down, the deep cleaning is performed, and the room can be put back in availability an average of three days goes by. If you are charging an average of $150/night then the cost in lost revenue is $450.

Second is the actual cost of the deep cleaning. In a typical hotel room where a guest has stayed for one night a housekeeper can expect to spend between 30 and 45 minutes in that room. When someone smokes we need to perform a deep cleaning which means every surface in the room is wiped down including the walls and ceiling, all upholstery is steam cleaned and the carpets are shampooed. The cost alone for the upholstery and carpet cleaning, which is generally done by an outside service for smaller hotels, is around $150. A housekeeper can expect to spend at least double to triple the amount of time in that room than for a normal stay.

Third is the simple fact that even after all of these steps are done the smell can still linger. If the next guest who checks in still smells smoke we need to either move them, which shuts the original suite down again, or we need to take an extreme step which is to repaint the room.

At the end of the day its a bad situation for both the hotel, the guest who feels slighted for having to pay the fine, and the next guest in that room who might be bothered by any lingering smell. Believe me, I hate when I get a report of someone smoking cause it is generally a huge headache for everyone involved. The simple thing to do is to just not smoke in the room. All the being said, I have yet to notice any guest vaping in our rooms. Since I am a huge proponent of using electronic cigarettes I would not mind if a guest used one and have been tempted recently to sell them at the front desk. Although I can't speak for the Marriott or any other big chain hotel I can say that these kinds of situations are more of an issue for the hotel than the guest. I agree that this women should not have been charged and generally most hotel GM's air of the side of the guest in these situations. Most hotels would rather not upset the guest and enforcing the smoking fine is not something that is done loosely. The best thing that people like us can do is educate places that do not yet know the ins and outs of using an electronic cigarette. Although I would love to see people boycott Marriott (they are a direct competitor of mine) I think we need to remember that this experience represents a tiny minority. If the GM of that hotel doesn't understand how ecigs are different he/she is only looking at this from the perspective of thinking this is no different than regular smoking and they are reacting out of the frustration hotels go through when a guest decides to smoke in a room.

You have presented a very balanced perspective of the other side of the coin. Don't suppose many of us realized what a problem a smoker can be for non smoking Hotel.

Errol

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Plessdude, something that may help you with this problem is an ozone generator we use one at my shop to kill meldew odor in a car that has had a water leak. They are used by may restoration companies to get rid of smoke odor in fire damaged homes also. Just start it and let it run in the space for about 3-4 hrs and then let it air out for a few more and the room won't smell any more.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I know this isn't the popular response, but to avoid negative connotations to vaping as I like doing it, and would rather not rile anyone up to support rallies to try to stop it, I just simply do not vape where smoking is prohibited. I am not that addicted to it to bother. Someone on the first page said they used to work for Marriott and HR said no to vaping. It is what it is, they are allowed to set that rule, and guests are allowed to not stay there and find a more vape friendly place.

Personally, out of courtesy if I wanted to vape in a non smoking establishment I would FIRST ask the policy and for permission, just the same as if I vaped in a restaurant that did not allow smoking. That is just the courteous thing to do IMO since vaping is still very misunderstood by the general public and the more we as a group are respectful about it the closer we will get to the general public understanding it better.

I also look at it this way, some of the "pro" arguments in support of vaping is that it is not as addictive as smoking analogs (and those thousands of chemicals in them that help keep you addicted), but if vapers act as if they can't go through an entire meal without vaping, it makes that argument to the general public appear invalid.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
While it is unfortunate that Marriott has such a policy in place, It would not interrupt my routine to a great degree by observing their policy. Better yet, If a vaper-friendly hotel were nearby, I think I would bring my money (and my pv) there =)
I think the problem is that they DON'T- or DIDN'T have a policy about vaping but yet tagged the lady for "smoking," when she was using her PV in their hotel.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I know this isn't the popular response, but to avoid negative connotations to vaping as I like doing it, and would rather not rile anyone up to support rallies to try to stop it, I just simply do not vape where smoking is prohibited. I am not that addicted to it to bother. Someone on the first page said they used to work for Marriott and HR said no to vaping. It is what it is, they are allowed to set that rule, and guests are allowed to not stay there and find a more vape friendly place.

Personally, out of courtesy if I wanted to vape in a non smoking establishment I would FIRST ask the policy and for permission, just the same as if I vaped in a restaurant that did not allow smoking. That is just the courteous thing to do IMO since vaping is still very misunderstood by the general public and the more we as a group are respectful about it the closer we will get to the general public understanding it better.

I also look at it this way, some of the "pro" arguments in support of vaping is that it is not as addictive as smoking analogs (and those thousands of chemicals in them that help keep you addicted), but if vapers act as if they can't go through an entire meal without vaping, it makes that argument to the general public appear invalid.

What if smoking is banned in your home, car or outside on your property?

Don't poo-poo this, because it is happening. E-cigarettes are being included in smoking bans and now smoking bans are moving to campus housing, government-subsidized housing, military barracks, nursing homes, condo associations, apartment buildings, one city in California is even considering bans on smoking in your home's yard because it infringes upon the neighbor's right to "breathe clean air" and yet another community wants to ban smoking in your car. These are not malls and restaurants but one's own property!

Just keep "following the rules" and not fighting against these bans and eventually we will all be forced to either quit altogether or vape in a hermetically-sealed, commercially vented and filtered room in our basement. If you don't have a basement well..guess you're SOL.

Glad for you that you are "not that addicted to it to bother" but a lot of vapers aren't that "lucky."

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
What if smoking is banned in your home, car or outside on your property?

Don't poo-poo this, because it is happening. E-cigarettes are being included in smoking bans and now smoking bans are moving to campus housing, government-subsidized housing, military barracks, nursing homes, condo associations, apartment buildings, one city in California is even considering bans on smoking in your home's yard because it infringes upon the neighbor's right to "breathe clean air" and yet another community wants to ban smoking in your car. These are not malls and restaurants but one's own property!

Just keep "following the rules" and not fighting against these bans and eventually we will all be forced to either quit altogether or vape in a hermetically-sealed, commercially vented and filtered room in our basement. If you don't have a basement well..guess you're SOL.

Glad for you that you are "not that addicted to it to bother" but a lot of vapers aren't that "lucky."

If it is banned everywhere, then that is when I will quit. I am not going through the hassle to get it illegally.

Many things are not prohibited in one's own home if it is illegal. I seriously hope it never is banned, but if it was, that is when I put it down and quit altogether.

To play's devil's advocate, the more vapers insist on vaping anywhere and everywhere they want, the more likely we WILL see more bans. I prefer to not do that. And it is my right to not do that if I don't want. That doesn't make me "fear" rules, it means I don't want to wave something in someone's face as that is when it is most likely to get snatched away.

Like it or not, that Marriott and any hotel has every right to make their own policies, just like the guests have every right to choose to go to another hotel.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Many things are not prohibited in one's own home if it is illegal. I seriously hope it never is banned, but if it was, that is when I put it down and quit altogether.

To play's devil's advocate, the more vapers insist on vaping anywhere and everywhere they want, the more likely we WILL see more bans. I prefer to not do that. And it is my right to not do that if I don't want. That doesn't make me "fear" rules, it means I don't want to wave something in someone's face as that is when it is most likely to get snatched away.

I totally agree with you about insisting about vaping anywhere. A friend of mine is thinking of opening a Vaper supply store locally- I plan to have "etiquette" cards printed up. I believe that vaping is about doing it with manners and without flaunting or acting as if it's a god-given right....however, I also believe that we don't just passively sit and wait for legislation to ruin vaping for us without speaking up.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I totally agree with you about insisting about vaping anywhere. A friend of mine is thinking of opening a Vaper supply store locally- I plan to have "etiquette" cards printed up. I believe that vaping is about doing it with manners and without flaunting or acting as if it's a god-given right....however, I also believe that we don't just passively sit and wait for legislation to ruin vaping for us without speaking up.

I totally agree with you TennDave. To me, there is a difference in feeling it is my god-given right to do it anywhere and everywhere (which I just will not do) vs passively sitting and waiting for legislation without speaking up. I will always speak up in favor of vaping in the right venue, but I won't insist on vaping it anywhere i please. I want to have, like you said, etiquette. I don't want vapers to get painted with some brush that makes us look like an arrogant bunch. I just can't see how that would help our cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread