Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I see some people are aware of this, yet others are completely unaware of the possible dangers. Just because you are using a regulated mod it's not perfectly safe! You need to keep these batteries in matched or "married" sets to protect yourself.
When we say Married, we mean buy them brand new, just for this particular mod, two sets, three sets, one set, whatever you think you will need, and label them. It doesn't matter how you label them, you can use a magic marker, a label maker, fingernail polish, whatever you have that will last! It also doesn't matter how you label them, as long as YOU know what it means! You can go 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, whatever works for you, just so long as YOU know which battery goes with which.
Now your asking, "But I've got a regulated mod, it's got all these fancy safety features to protect me, why does this matter?" That's a great question, and I'm glad you asked it!
It matters because as you use batteries they build up more internal resistance, so they don't hold as much power as they used to, they don't charge up to the same voltage they used to, and they just don't have the amperage they used to. So you take the battery out of your old Hanna mod and throw it in your new rx200 with two brand new batteries. What's the weak link? It's not the protection circuitry, it's the old battery. The other two batteries are expecting the third to be as strong as they are so they are going to give it all they have and suck the weaker battery into thermal overload. OR, one, or both of the new batteries are going to have to work even harder to cover for the weaker one and go into thermal overload. Either way, it's on before the circuitry can do it's magic! Then you get the BOOM!!
Don't think it can happen? Go check out some of the threads on Candlepower forums sometime, I once saw a night watchmen blow up a newish Surefire 9P, using out of the box Surefire CR123A's. Burnt his hand, shot through the sheetrock, came out the siding and finally stopped 50' away after hitting a brick wall! Not a rechargeable battery, not an 18650, a new, out of the box 123A. What the conclusion was there was one bad cell in the box and one of the others in line was working so hard to compensate it went thermal and vented.
I've since gotten rid of all my multiple battery flashlights after a few of these incidents. Now that's a flashlight, pulling maybe 3 amps? Imagine that at 17amps!
So when I bust on people about marrying batteries, it's not just on a whim! There's also a reason I only use single battery mods, and I curse the revival of multiple battery mods, mechs in particular! So know your mod, know your battery, keep them married, keep them happy, please be safe out there!

JLR9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Houston
I'm planning on buying a p-touch at some point to keep track and label my batteries. Sharpie keeps getting rubbed off.

Would those types of labels be fine to use? I have a handheld Dymo label maker laying around from a number of years ago I could use. I'm just thinking if it adds to much to the battery and snags inside the mod.

Reactions: Kabong30

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I've used pieces of electrical tape to mark pairs of batteries and never had a problem. Also nail polish. Even though I don't use dual battery mods, I buy batteries in pairs, and charge them in matched pairs. If I have an issue with one of the pair, they both get replaced. I have found that once one goes, the other one isn't far behind.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I'd love to discuss, but I can only agree with you.
Well thank you. I just think it's something people need to know and understand, as well as understand "why" it needs done.
With all the publicity and misinformation floating around about mech mods right now, and the Noisy Cricket being a major player in the spot light, I'm afraid people are getting lax with their use of regulated mods. Just because it's regulated and has built in safety parameters, it doesn't mean you can't have a battery "event" in one of these regulated mods as well! Anything that uses multiple batteries, or batteries of this type, can have a battery "event".
Keep in mind, each one of these batteries is close to a quarter stick of dynamite in the "wrong" situation.

Reactions: DaveP

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@sawlight
What about batteries used in identical devices.
Specifically, I run Provari 2.5 Minis. I keep two devices going, and use the batteries in either one.
Should I still "marry" them only to one device. No problem if I should, just curious if it still applies.
That said, one is an older version, and another is a newer version, of the same device.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
@sawlight
What about batteries used in identical devices.
Specifically, I run Provari 2.5 Minis. I keep two devices going, and use the batteries in either one.
Should I still "marry" them only to one device. No problem if I should, just curious if it still applies.
That said, one is an older version, and another is a newer version, of the same device.
No, that isn't an issue. It's not a bad idea to know how old they are, but you can figure that out easily as run time degrades. The issue is using things that take two or more batteries and people don't know how either of them perform.

Reactions: LoriP1702

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No, that isn't an issue. It's not a bad idea to know how old they are, but you can figure that out easily as run time degrades. The issue is using things that take two or more batteries and people don't know how either of them perform.
Got it. I re-read your original post.
So you take the battery out of your old Hanna mod and throw it in your new rx200 with two brand new batteries.
That's what threw me. It would help if I knew what the devices were before I spoke. :blush:
But, I guess better to ask than to find out the hard way on your own.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmmmm, I figured this would bring up at least a little discussion?

Sorry. Gave you a likey when I first read it last night. :)

Can't discuss much as I don't use multiple battery mods and/or mechs.

But battery safety is a very important issue, and I'm glad you're raising it again. Too many vapers and B&M owners don't have a clue.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Got it. I re-read your original post.

That's what threw me. It would help if I knew what the devices were before I spoke. :blush:
But, I guess better to ask than to find out the hard way on your own.
No worries at all! I'd rather you ask and know, then not ask and not know!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Sorry. Gave you a likey when I first read it last night. :)

Can't discuss much as I don't use multiple battery mods and/or mechs.

But battery safety is a very important issue, and I'm glad you're raising it again. Too many vapers and B&M owners don't have a clue.
No worries, I just thought it was something people need to realize, and be aware of as I see more issues with regulate mods coming in the near future.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No worries, I just thought it was something people need to realize, and be aware of as I see more issues with regulate mods coming in the near future.

I know. :facepalm:

People are buying mechs, flashlight batteries and bottles of 100 and 200mg/ml nicotine base. What can go wrong?

Thanks, FDA!

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No worries at all! I'd rather you ask and know, then not ask and not know!
Thanks, I appreciate thread topics like this one. I've been in a comfort zone for almost the last 4 years, and need to refresh my knowledge as I'm having to expand my stash.
I don't plan to use anything that will require two, but good to know for just general info!

Ask and ask again. I wish more people would ask questions about how to use their gear safely.
Well, sometimes I feel silly, because I read too fast and don't let the text absorb :laugh: before I post. :facepalm:
But that's what I love about this place, so many who are so helpful to share the information.
And so many (like you) who are quick to offer encouragement!
Even though I've been vaping for almost 4 years now, because I've used the same equipment, and simple top devices, I feel like a noob all over again. (Thanks FDA)

I would imagine there will be. As people hold on to old equipment, and old batteries.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I know. :facepalm:

People are buying mechs, flashlight batteries and bottles of 100 and 200mg/ml nicotine base. What can go wrong?

Thanks, FDA!
Yepper!! Exactly!! Scary times!!

I refused to go over 48mg/ml with a VG base. :) I need a finished product somewhere between 18 and 24. So that will be easy math for me.
One mishap and a bottle of the high nic breaks. :facepalm: Gonna be trouble.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Even though I've been vaping for almost 4 years now, because I've used the same equipment, and simple top devices, I feel like a noob all over again. (Thanks FDA)

I've been vaping for 6.5 years. I used to help new vapers in New Members forum and in Ask the Vets for years. Now I have no idea what they are talking about half the time. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread