Marshmallow as a sweetener

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I use ethyl maltol for some of my mixes, it kind of has that high sugary note like marshmallows or cotton candy do, most likely the sweetener in marshmallow flavors. Misses all the rich notes though, is a real disappointment with desserts.
You'd need a well balanced marshmallow flavor, sadly I can't help you with that.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
TFA Marshmallow would probably work best to add sweet to a recipe. FA Marshmallow is good but not really sweet.

FW Marshmallow would also work too but I find it lacks the same mouthfeel fullness that TFA has.

As always, your mileage may vary. :)
thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Does anyone use this instead of a sweetener? If so which marshmallow (diy) is best? Any and all opinions are appreciated, thank you.
I use tfa marshmallow with my cap blueberry jam flavorings....yum. I use 1-2% depending on my mood the day I mix another bottle....LOL

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I use marshmallow in some of my mixes if I want a bit of sweetness plus mouthfeel. I feel like they're all fairly similar as far as effect (and can all mute at too high a percentage) so I think your main task would be figuring out how the one you select plays nicely with the rest of the flavors you are going to use. I could swear I had a toasted Marshmallow that I really liked but I can't find it on my flavors list, sorry. It's just a hint more flavorful than some of the others (this can be good... and bad).
Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Does anyone use this instead of a sweetener? If so which marshmallow (diy) is best? Any and all opinions are appreciated, thank you.
I have used TFA marshmallow in a few recipes that I deemed successful, for this reason I leave the MM in.
FA Meringue is my go to presently. "Meringue is a type of dessert, often associated with French, Swiss, and Italian cuisine, traditionally made from whipped egg whites and sugar." I find it an excellent sweetener if I stay under 1%.
re: google

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I think it would act as a great sweetener. Marshmallow always seems to make sweet vapes taste richer. And I've had to remind myself as I mix, VG itself is slightly sweet. I don't end up using sweeteners (like Super Sweet), nearly as much as I used to. So when you add something like Marshmallow to it, it is definitely sweet enough.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have used TFA marshmallow in a few recipes that I deemed successful, for this reason I leave the MM in.
FA Meringue is my go to presently. "Meringue is a type of dessert, often associated with French, Swiss, and Italian cuisine, traditionally made from whipped egg whites and sugar." I find it an excellent sweetener if I stay under 1%.
re: google
I have recently switched to TFA Whipping Cream in place of marshmallow. Slightly sweet if kept under 1% but it gives a much lighter, brighter mouth feel than marshmallow does. If you make huge bottles like I sometimes do of my favs, a mix with marshmallow can get a heavier mouth feel to it over time. At least that is my take on it.

:)

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Is it just me, perhaps my perception of sweet is weak, but I get no sweetness advantage/taste from marshmallow. I use it a lot in my recipes and started really using it after hearing it was a good sweetener. Got it and thought, FA & Cap, "what sweet?". Adds a nice dimension to my DIY but sweetness no. Thank goodness for Cap & Purilum super sweets. :thumb:
I think I must have weak sweet receptors!

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Is it just me, perhaps my perception of sweet is weak, but I get no sweetness advantage/taste from marshmallow. I use it a lot in my recipes and started really using it after hearing it was a good sweetener. Got it and thought, FA & Cap, "what sweet?". Adds a nice dimension to my DIY but sweetness no. Thank goodness for Cap & Purilum super sweets. :thumb:
I think I must have weak sweet receptors!
I think you're just used to over sweetened juice. You are habituated....:D If you can bear it try vaping some recipes without any sweetener for a few weeks and then you'll taste the marshmallow....I guarantee it..;)

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
I think you're just used to over sweetened juice. You are habituated....:D If you can bear it try vaping some recipes without any sweetener for a few weeks and then you'll taste the marshmallow....I guarantee it..;)
Probably my sweet tooth. I do taste the marshmallow no problems and use FA Marshmallow in quite a number of my DIY recipes, its one of my must haves. It's just that I don't experience it as a sweetener. It adds a flavour to my vapes and depth just doesn't cut it for me as a sweetener. When I first started DIY 2 years ago for the first few months I never used sweetener and wanted to sweeten some things up, heard about marshmallow doing that. Got some, mixed it and it just didn't do it for me. So ended up getting some Cap SS and recently Purilum. It seems as if its just me that doesn't get the sweet in it like others do. Tried Cap marshmallow and if anything it reduced sweetness to me. Maybe I'm just an odd bod! :laugh:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Probably my sweet tooth. I do taste the marshmallow no problems and use FA Marshmallow in quite a number of my DIY recipes, its one of my must haves. It's just that I don't experience it as a sweetener. It adds a flavour to my vapes and depth just doesn't cut it for me as a sweetener. When I first started DIY 2 years ago for the first few months I never used sweetener and wanted to sweeten some things up, heard about marshmallow doing that. Got some, mixed it and it just didn't do it for me. So ended up getting some Cap SS and recently Purilum. It seems as if its just me that doesn't get the sweet in it like others do. Tried Cap marshmallow and if anything it reduced sweetness to me. Maybe I'm just an odd bod! :laugh:
Ah ok that is a bit odd. Just a thought have you used ethyl maltol before because i think that is usually the sweetener used in flavours that sweeten like marshmallow? That's presumably why it mutes in high percentages. Maybe you can't taste ethyl maltol but I'm also am pretty sure that is one of the ingredients in SS. I use a little bit of TFA sweetener if I need to...can you taste that? That's fructose I believe. Can you detect sweetness in other flavours like FA pear or other sweet flavours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread