Status
Not open for further replies.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I’ve been using the MBM mod by Ralph T (available at deejStuff) for a few months. Now I am using three MBMs because I really love this mod.

The Good
It looks great.

The mod uses 4 AA NiMH batteries. Unlike with Li-ion batts, with NiMH you don’t have to worry about instability. Replacement rechargeable batteries are available everywhere and, if you go somewhere and realize you forgot to bring spares, you can always buy regular AAs at the corner drugstore.

It feels great. The muscles on the backs of my hands are wonky. When I grip things too long, I get shooting pains. I switch my mouse from one side of my computer to the other every couple of month, which helps but I really don’t need to when I use the MBM. It’s wide enough that I’m not making a fist when I hold it. I can switch my grip and hold it several different ways, which further lessens the pressure. I’ve never had a box mod before and maybe they’re all like this but I’d really recommend the MBM for anyone with problems like carpal tunnel.

I chain vape and swap out my batteries a lot (not much vapor, new batteries — then I find out that my atomizer was out of liquid) and I’m still getting a full day+ out of a set. Most owners are reporting 2 days or more on a single charge.

I’m not good at the electronics (I have a multimeter — I’ve used it once) but Ralph says it’s about 4.8V and you can pump the switch a couple of times if you want it lower. I finally understand why people like higher voltages. Previously I had a choice between 3.7V and 6.0V. 6.0 makes me cough like I never did when I was smoking. 4.8V gives me a perfect flavor/vapor/warmth combo.

The switch is on top, placed close to the atomizer so you don’t have to worry about setting it off accidentally. It has a very light action (easy on the finger) and makes a slight clicking noise.

The batteries don’t take up the entire inside of the box so you have room for a spare atomizer (or 2.)

Speaking of the inside, it stays very clean. I’ve never met an atomizer/cartomizer I couldn’t flood but, when I do, it slips under the lid and stays at the top of the box. It has never gone into the cavity or anywhere near the batteries. (If you do flood your atty, open the lid and mop it up. E-juice is acidic enough to damage the paint. This is not even a cosmetic problem because it doesn’t show once the lid is closed.)

The Not So Good
If you’ve ever carried a tin box of mints around with you for a while, you know the paint isn’t designed to last forever. I got my cinnamon MBM in late October and the corners are beginning to show some wear and tear. I like it. I think it adds character. You might not agree.

The tin of the box is very smooth. It’s not a great surface for glue to adhere to and it’s possible to knock the connector loose if you are rough with your MBM. If you are handy, you can fix it yourself and Ralph is working on a way to rough up the gluing surface without damaging the esthetic.

w7fvba.jpg
11htndg.jpg
2mqpxj4.jpg

aucdc0.jpg
4v1d39.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread