Status
Not open for further replies.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I like weighing better, but there are pros and cons as with everything. Other people prefer the syringes and cylinders, and it may be more comfortable that way when you're mixing relatively simple recipes in bulk, or if you're using a pre-mixed flavor blend. Using the scale seems neater if you're mixing a lot of small bottles, using a variety of relatively intricate recipes (that's me). You have to pay closer attention with the scale; it lags, and if you're not careful you can overdo an ingredient or two (or more), which can mess up your consistency...but practice makes perfect, and there's usually no need to fuss over a drop or two.

There's only one way to find out which you'd like better. Fortunately there are very inexpensive pocket scales on Amazon these days, so it won't cost much to find out. And there are great resources for measuring almost any ingredient via a database containing the published specific gravity for each. Nicely priced scale HERE.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't know if "Better" is a good term to use in this case. Because Either method, volume or weight, can be More Accurate and Precise than what a Vaper can probably Taste.

Mixing by Weight for me is Easier. Because there is Less for me to Wash when I am done.

But whatever a Person prefers, that is what is Best.

TimF94

Feb 5, 2017
I like weighing better, but there are pros and cons as with everything. Other people prefer the syringes and cylinders, and it may be more comfortable that way when you're mixing relatively simple recipes in bulk, or if you're using a pre-mixed flavor blend. Using the scale seems neater if you're mixing a lot of small bottles, using a variety of relatively intricate recipes (that's me). You have to pay closer attention with the scale; it lags, and if you're not careful you can overdo an ingredient or two (or more), which can mess up your consistency...but practice makes perfect, and there's usually no need to fuss over a drop or two.

There's only one way to find out which you'd like better. Fortunately there are very inexpensive pocket scales on Amazon these days, so it won't cost much to find out. And there are great resources for measuring almost any ingredient via a database containing the published specific gravity for each. Nicely priced scale HERE.
What would be a accurate, cheap scale? You would perfer

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Does that scale Auto-Off in 60 Seconds?
Yes, the WAOAW scale does power off in 60, unless you touch a button. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I rarely mix a bottle bigger than 60mL. The AWS scale would be better for larger batches (or slow-squirting mixers!). :)

Reactions: dobroeutro

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I find measuring by weight easier with much less clean up. I measure directly into glass bottles. I keep PG and VG in condiment bottles and my flavors are in dropper bottles. Literally the only thing I have to rinse off is the little battery powered stirring gizmo I use to mix it (directly in the bottle). I use the LB-501 scale but any scale with 0.01 gram accuracy and enough capacity will work. I believe that measuring by weight is more consistent, which I consider to be more important than accuracy in this case.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Even a cutoff of 30s is fine, btw... It's not about how much you mix, but about the time you have between each single drop or squirt added of the same ingredient, and I can't imagine anyone needing over 30 secs for that and that in itself is way more than needed. I have scales with 60sec cutoff, which I like as I don't have to double-check if I have switched the scale off afterwards so it doesn't drain the cells when not in use.

Imho, volume or scale is a personal decision based upon preference and either is fine and none are by definition more exact or more repeatable than the other. I myself prefer scales solely because it optimizes my workflow process by eliminating the extra step of cleanup afterwards, though granted the savings because of that is neglible but nonetheless...

Cool_Breeze, how do you do that??? I.e. mix by volume without any cleanup whatsoever... I can only imagine that, by having the end-bottle marked for a static mix and use the ingredient-bottles directly. Washing a single graduated cylinder for example, though only being a 10 sec job, still is cleanup ;)

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
The last word ("HERE") in my post above is a link to Amazon. Click it! :)

Does that scale Auto-Off in 60 Seconds?

That is the same one I have and I believe it is a 3 minute auto off. I have never had it turn off on me while mixing the past 6 - 8 months I have had it. It doesn't come with the 500g calibration weight that is needed to start using it though.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
That it doesn't come with calibration-weights, means that you can't re-calibrate it if needed, but scales are pre-calibrated from the factory though... When getting a new scale, I recommend checking it with e.g. coins or whatever you know the specific weights off(coin-types and weights are on wikipedia btw). Also, at times down the road, a recheck is done to see that it continually is precise and doesn't have been thrown off the calibration, which i've read is usually because of big rapid differences in temperature and humidity. When the scale isn't precise anymore, you either need calibration-weights to recalibrate, or to get another scale... I've never needed recalibration for about 2 years now, with my cheap china-scales btw.

A scale with cut-off can turn off on you between ingredients possibly, but shouldn'
t do it during an ingredient, unless you mix very strangely(over 30 or 60 secs between drops of same ingredient), which is key imho. Starting an ingredient by pressing ON or TARE is irrelevant, at least to me personally :)

Last edited:
Reactions: man00ver

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
That it doesn't come with calibration-weights, means that you can't re-calibrate it if needed, but scales are pre-calibrated from the factory though...

Mine was not, perhaps due to the shipping throwing it off. It gave a 'CAL' error IIRC. I have a 100g cal weight for checking it from time to time.

Reactions: mhertz

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I will never understand how clean up is always mentioned as being a hassle. One beaker and a syringe is no problem for me. What happens when mixing by weight if you accidentally add too much?
You just deal with it, or add a bit more vg/pg and/or other flavors. An extra 0.02 or 0.04g of a flavor makes no difference IMO, even in my 20ml testers.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I will never understand how clean up is always mentioned as being a hassle. One beaker and a syringe is no problem for me. What happens when mixing by weight if you accidentally add too much?

Perhaps I overdid it, but at one point I had about eight syringes. I had a 10ml for VG, a 5ml for PG, and about six 1ml syringes for nicotine and different flavors. I didn't wash them in between flavors if I could avoid it (if I had five or less flavors I was okay), although I know that some people do. At the end of my mixing I would then have these eight syringes to wash (eight syringes, eight stoppers, and eight needles). When I mix by weight the only clean up I have is to throw away a few disposable pipettes depending on how many flavors are not in dropper bottles. Like someone mentioned above, I have my VG and PG in condiment bottles, nicotine in a dropper bottles, and only flavors not in dropper bottles require a disposable pipette. I mix directly into the target bottle, so there's no beaker to clean up (either way, by weight or volume). Mixing by weight definitely works well for me. I can also mix by weight much faster than I can mix by volume. YMMV.

Reactions: jpasint
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread