Measuring Ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
If you mean attaching to the atomizer base? We do that because most of our readers have threaded connectors like those of a mod, in actuality the whole resistance rating should take all attached components into account, battery, mod, atomizer, coil, but because the resistance of the mod and atomizer are so slight, getting a reading of final connection at the atomizer posts works. With a digital multimeter and a pair of aligator clip leads you could measure a final coil before connection yes, but you still need that final reading on the atomizer base, just one step removed.

RA1

Aug 29, 2015
Yes , that is what I was referring to, and as you mentioned I was curious if the recommended or limitations for the battery or atomizer were to include the completed assembly or if it was relative to the coil only. I recently purchased an Eleaf Ijust 2 kit which came with a .3 ohm coil, I added an Eleaf lemo 2 tank which came with a .5 ohm coil and was trying to learn a little about maybe trying to put a .3 ohm coil in the lemo 2 similar to the ijust 2 tank which came with the kit. Not wanting to damage the battery or the lemo 2 tank I was and am trying to be cautious! I have read some of your post, one just a minute or so ago regarding the differences in wire and your knowledge !

Last edited:

RA1

Aug 29, 2015
because the battery sees all of the combined ohms ( resistances) of the connect points ( screws, threads, contacts) each connect point adds another resistance factor to the whole thing....
Thank You! That's what I was wondering, so essentially measuring the coil itself is not necessarily the target reading, actually the coil may be a bit less than the target but when assembled the entirety measures the target or preference?

Last edited:

ColbeWan

Dec 21, 2014
usa
Exactly, since you are going to be using the lemo 2, you should be measuring it, on the lemo 2 to get your targeted Ω. the coil itself may be lower or higher. Even then its a gamble if your are getting your intended target, because not all mods are accurate, due to the voltage drop of the device itself! The added resistance of the tank or dripper shows up even with pre-made coils, sure the pre-made coil says its 0.5Ω on the side of the box, but your device may say it's 0.6Ω or something close. But when it really comes down to it, find a build you are comfortable building, that gives you a satisfying vape.

Reactions: RA1

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Exactly, since you are going to be using the lemo 2, you should be measuring it, on the lemo 2 to get your targeted Ω. the coil itself may be lower or higher.
Well, it won't be higher. The atty and mod may (will) add some resistance to the circuit, but they won't subtract any.

Reactions: RA1

RA1

Aug 29, 2015
Exactly, since you are going to be using the lemo 2, you should be measuring it, on the lemo 2 to get your targeted Ω. the coil itself may be lower or higher. Even then its a gamble if your are getting your intended target, because not all mods are accurate, due to the voltage drop of the device itself! The added resistance of the tank or dripper shows up even with pre-made coils, sure the pre-made coil says its 0.5Ω on the side of the box, but your device may say it's 0.6Ω or something close. But when it really comes down to it, find a build you are comfortable building, that gives you a satisfying vape.
Thank You , I have seen this with another unit I have, they are usually close but not always exact. Unfortunately (or maybe not) the battery I am using ( Eleaf ijust2 ) doesn't have a display, so I was going off of the specs offered as to what it was capable of. It came with a .3 ohm premade dual coil with an option to purchase a .5 ohm premade dual coil. I changed to the lemo2 for several reasons and was interested in trying to bring it to a similar load. The .3 was really aggressive and a bit warmer than the .5 ohm which came in the lemo 2, surprisingly though it seems insignificant it actually was quite a bit of difference. Whether it was relevant to the ohm load or the dual coil set up ( vertical/horizontal etc.) I am not sure and so Not wanting to damage either the battery or the tank I am just trying to gain knowledge regarding and perhaps attempt a .3 ohm build for the lemo 2. While I have some knowledge regarding, many like yourself have a great on hands knowledge and experience and I am very grateful for your willingness to share and teach. Thank You very much for taking of your time, it is very appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread