Mech mod clone with lowest voltage drop? And magnet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
So I'm fairly new to the mech world, got a Maraxus clone that works pretty well but won't hold up to the test of time... The paint on it is already deteriorating, but more importantly I can't take the switch apart to clean the spring. Also have an hcigar hammer clone, it just doesn't seem to hit nearly as hard as my Maraxus even after a good cleaning and upgrading the spring. Going to order another mech mod here in the next month or two and looking for suggestions. Was thinking about either a stingray, copper nemesis, or turtleship v2 (Ofc, all clones). Not really experienced with any of them, and it seems like different clones are built differently (For example, many people with a Maraxus CAN take apart their switch...) so looking to get an exact manufacturer / model that would perform the best.

Also, I have a question about magnets v.s. springs... What's the difference between them performance wise? I have a basic understanding on how mechs work so to my understanding magnets would be far superior performance wise, but like I said I'm fairly new so if someone has used both I'd like to know the pros and cons of each :)

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
Out of what I own and use, my naval brass Atmomixani Nemesis has the lowest voltage drop. On a 0.7 ohm dual microcoil setup, I get a voltage drop of about 0.15 volts. This is with all the tube threads being coated with Noalox.

From other mods I've seen and heard about, I've heard great things about the Olympus Creations pegasus (authentic and cloned). The Amerivape Manhattan is also supposed to be known for low (or next to no) voltage drop.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The truth is .... any decently designed mechanical is going to hit well. Worrying about voltage drop on a well made mechanical is like worrying about the laces on a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes. We are after all talking about a circuit made up of inches, not miles. Will certain metals like copper hit harder than say ... steel? Sure. Is the difference utterly mind blowing? Nope.

When it comes to mechanicals the biggest factor in output power is going to be switch design. Any device with a solid switch design is going to hit efficiently hard. Any device with a flawed switch design is going to under perform in comparison. Having said that ... the majority of mechanical devices (clone or not) have similar switch designs these days. So to me, when someone asks "Which mechanical should I get?". My suggestion is to grab the one you think looks the nicest and functions the way you want to vape.

Is there a specific metal combo you like? Do you want a bottom switch? Flush button ... locking ring? Adjustable 510 .... floating 510? Do you like a specific engraving over any other mod out there? etc etc. To me, that is more important than anything else when looking at proven mechanical mods.

As far as magnet vs spring. A spring can and usually does add resistance to the mod. However, in many mods that resistance is very small and nearly negligible. That of course can depend on the design of the switch. But for the most part people use magnets not because of increased performance, but for a different feel/throw on the switch. One mod may feel more "crunchy" with a spring compared to magnets while another might feel better with a spring. It really just depends on the mod and I personally use both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread