Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Proving my point, assuming that these types of things can only happen with new vapers. Again many people vaping for a time still may not rebuild or use anything other than an ego, then decide to go further without researching first. It doesn't matter how long someone has vaped to be able to rank their knowledge or skill level.
I have been dripping on an Ego Twist with 510 atomizers for well over 4 years now.

A few months back I won a Subtank Nano that I haven't even opened yet.
And I also just won a eVic VTC Mini thingamabob.

My knowlege/skill level is at about 20% I guess.
But thanks to being on this forum, I know that I have something I need to know.

The key here is the part about "being on this forum" and nothing more.
:)

It's just like people wanting to go after gun man. companies, a good example is the .223 and 5.56 ammo. They look the same and are technically the same caliber but the 5.56 has more psi. Is it the makers place or the users place to know the difference? People need to just stop doing and start thinking first.
MOST people know a gun can hurt you.
And can't really use one without learning about using one.

That's not at all the case for vaping devices.

It's not common sense, unless understanding that batteries are dangerous is common sense.
And it's not, no matter what anyone wants to think.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I guess the one thing this thread really says is some regulation is required in vaping trouble is it needs to be targeted regulation on the right areas and as we all know government only does overly harsh broad regulation that does more damage then good. The point about experienced vapers having accidents and not saying anything is a good point, my main vaping friend is definitely in the advanced class of vapers and he has had three incidents in the last year mainly due to bad design and once because he was tired but I'm the only person who knows. We can't agree on a single solution for this and were vapers so it's no surprise that the antz are so easily able to turn Joe ordinary against us and use these incidents to their advantage. Stupid people will always injure themselves it's a question of when not if and as I said it's lucky for the antz this one did it with vaping gear at such an opportune time.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The problem is that regulations will dumb everything down to the beginner level. That way no one can get hurt.:facepalm:

Hope you enjoy your Vuse.
    Vuse-lead.jpg

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Proving my point, assuming that these types of things can only happen with new vapers. Again many people vaping for a time still may not rebuild or use anything other than an ego, then decide to go further without researching first. It doesn't matter how long someone has vaped to be able to rank their knowledge or skill level.

Safety of devices is a matter of opinion. I feel just as safe with a mech. as with a VW device but I use caution and know what each can or cannot do. Education and being careful are two safest things one can do. One could pile in all the safeties in the world but that still doesn't make it safe, just safer. Fail safes and fuses themselves can fail, our homes have fuses or breakers that trip if there is a short but I have seen these fail, nothing is perfect. The key is inspection followed by repairing or replacing iffy parts and of course only using compatible pieces.

When a person makes the choice to use a device that has removable batteries they should understand what they are. When a person especially with mechs. goes out and just buys things, they are essentially going half cocked. I agree people should know there is a concern but when they buy something that is not a "normal" kit, they should already have an idea that there is more going on here. This again goes back to education, if it is local then shops should explain. If someone is getting online and buying then they should research what they are buying (reviews, how to use, tips and tricks). I don't want to see people hurt but at the same time one cannot say that they didn't have any fault in it. I find it hard nowadays for people to buy mechs. and not know what they are buying. Look, most people know car batteries can hurt you but they may not own a car, it's no different. People have to get out of the plug and play mentality, just cause it fits don't mean a thing.

It's just like people wanting to go after gun man. companies, a good example is the .223 and 5.56 ammo. They look the same and are technically the same caliber but the 5.56 has more psi. Is it the makers place or the users place to know the difference? People need to just stop doing and start thinking first. If they are new to vaping why do they need a sub ohm tank, why do they need a mech. mod? If they are experienced then again why do they need to go to sub ohms, why do they need a mech. mod ? If they ask then they know they need to research, therefore finding all the info they need.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I personally think it is stupid for someone to go buy something and just shove it in their face, especially when they don't know what it is or how it works. On a side note and to lighten the mood, do you think Adam and Eve had a similar argument, lol.
    Thank you for your opinion. But you still didn't answer my question. I understand that no matter how many safety devices we put on mechs. some Einstien is still gonna figure out how to hurt themselves. But does that mean we shouldn't make things as safe as possible?
    If there's no downside performance wise. Why not make a safer device? How are we supposed to ensure people know what they're buying. By nature even the most experienced Person (I'm proud to be a mutant) is going to make mistakes! So I ask again what's the problem with having safer device.
    Please someone tell me how some kind of "safety device" is going to effect the quality of your Vape!
    I understand that nothing is completely safe! Is it so wrong to ask for safer?:-x:hubba::vapor:

NancyR

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    Thank you for your opinion. But you still didn't answer my question. I understand that no matter how many safety devices we put on mechs. some Einstien is still gonna figure out how to hurt themselves. But does that mean we shouldn't make things as safe as possible?
    If there's no downside performance wise. Why not make a safer device? How are we supposed to ensure people know what they're buying. By nature even the most experienced Person (I'm proud to be a mutant) is going to make mistakes! So I ask again what's the problem with having safer device.
    Please someone tell me how some kind of "safety device" is going to effect the quality of your Vape!
    I understand that nothing is completely safe! Is it so wrong to ask for safer?:-x:hubba::vapor:

The main safety device you will find people talk about is a kick. A kick will turn a mech mod into a vw device, but with major limits, such as no going above 12 watts, and because of the way it works it will have a continual drain on the battery. It also IMO mutes the vape in the same way that mods without dc power output does.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Why is minumizing the chance of getting hurt a PROBLEM?:shock::facepalm:

Because it's easier said than done. It's impossible to fix the nut behind the wheel.

This is what I use most of the time. (note the lack of "safety" devices)

P1000541.jpg

It's only malfunction in 5 years was the week it spent at the bottom of a lake.
    Rinsed it off, put the battery from my flashlight in it (14500), a different atomizer, and vaped away.

Last edited:

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Like many on here a vuse or something like it will not pass my lips I'm well sorted for whatever comes but most are not and whether we like it or not vapers only have one course of action left to us and that is instead of standing outside shouting in at those who are going to regulate us get inside and play a part in framing regulations. I hate government interference in the lives of citizens on issues like this but the time to stop that is gone and knee jerk "no regulations" reaction at this point does us more harm then good. Yes I know some on here will not agree and rail against it but rarely do they offer another course of action with a cat in hell's chance of a realistic outcome making their objections have as much validity as a beauty queen contest where they parrot "I want world peace".

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    The main safety device you will find people talk about is a kick. A kick will turn a mech mod into a vw device, but with major limits, such as no going above 12 watts, and because of the way it works it will have a continual drain on the battery. It also IMO mutes the vape in the same way that mods without dc power output does.
    Thank you @NancyR ! You are the first one to tell me some REAL problems with a current device.
    I looked at the Kick & Kick2 this a.m. to see what they were all about. I knew right off that these were not the solution because they change the performance.
    I know that wouldn't fly! Couldn't a passive device be made that wouldn't change performance? Heck something that could be bypassed by a user that knows his or her stuff! That way it would have to be a consious decision to have a less than safer device! The technology has to be out there. I could design & machine the case for such a device. My problem lies with the voodoo that is electronics. Voodoo to me that is!
    With all the people in the ECF we've gotta have at least one Electronics Engineer! We need to show the general public and especially the fda that we care about safety. From the way the media has portrayed it we don't!
    Passive safety devices and active training are the only way to really change things!

NancyR

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    Thank you @NancyR ! You are the first one to tell me some REAL problems with a current device.
    I looked at the Kick & Kick2 this a.m. to see what they were all about. I knew right off that these were not the solution because they change the performance.
    I know that wouldn't fly! Couldn't a passive device be made that wouldn't change performance? Heck something that could be bypassed by a user that knows his or her stuff! That way it would have to be a consious decision to have a less than safer device! The technology has to be out there. I could design & machine the case for such a device. My problem lies with the voodoo that is electronics. Voodoo to me that is!
    With all the people in the ECF we've gotta have at least one Electronics Engineer! We need to show the general public and especially the fda that we care about safety. From the way the media has portrayed it we don't!
    Passive safety devices and active training are the only way to really change things!

They did make a thing called the 2 cent fuse, it has been the closest to actually being helpful IMO, but it also has limits. Some devices are milled so close to the battery size it won't fit in all of them.

Also for someone like me who is known to use gennys they are a waste because they will pop if there is a short. While that may seem like a good thing, when checking for hotspots on a genny build it can't be used because of that, making it worthless during the most dangerous times to be using a genny or a hybrid (original hybrid type device not the new things).

Not all mech mods are without a safety tho, take the Reo (not the only one like this but the main one) it has a spring that will fall if there is a dead short making it so there is no battery connection.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Because it's easier said than done. It's impossible to fix the nut behind the wheel.

This is what I use most of the time. (note the lack of "safety" devices)

P1000541.jpg

It's only malfunction in 5 years was the week it spent at the bottom of a lake.
    Rinsed it off, put the battery from my flashlight in it (14500), a different atomizer, and vaped away.
    Doesn't that rig run on an 18650? how did you get a 15mm shorter batt. to work?

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    They did make a thing called the 2 cent fuse, it has been the closest to actually being helpful IMO, but it also has limits. Some devices are milled so close to the battery size it won't fit in all of them.

Also for someone like me who is known to use gennys they are a waste because they will pop if there is a short. While that may seem like a good thing, when checking for hotspots on a genny build it can't be used because of that, making it worthless during the most dangerous times to be using a genny or a hybrid (original hybrid type device not the new things).

Not all mech mods are without a safety tho, take the Reo (not the only one like this but the main one) it has a spring that will fall if there is a dead short making it so there is no battery connection.
    OK so maybe there's not an easy fix for old mech. mods & that's understandable. But can't safety be engineered into the new ones? I'm pretty sure if you look back thru this thread I've never talked about taking things from people they already have. let's just progress with the times.
    SAVE THE MECH. MOD! mAKE IT "SAFER"!

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Trouble is one of the biggest draws of mech mods is not so much the vape (though it is nice) it's the simplicity that the majority of user's can maintain even repair them, the second you start introducing a raft of safety features you not only remove that you move it nearer to regulated. Simple fact is mechs are not for everyone but human ego being what it is some people just cannot accept that convinced they can deal with anything and wollah headlines. I love the simplicity of my Dimitri, I love knowing I can maintain it and repair should I need too, I don't have that with regulated mods though I'll be looking for a beginners soldering course next year as whatever regulations come in I can't see them checking every electronic board coming in so will try and maintain my regulated that way.

Reactions: haleysdadda

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2015
    Santee,San Diego
    Trouble is one of the biggest draws of mech mods is not so much the vape (though it is nice) it's the simplicity that the majority of user's can maintain even repair them, the second you start introducing a raft of safety features you not only remove that you move it nearer to regulated. Simple fact is mechs are not for everyone but human ego being what it is some people just cannot accept that convinced they can deal with anything and wollah headlines. I love the simplicity of my Dimitri, I love knowing I can maintain it and repair should I need too, I don't have that with regulated mods though I'll be looking for a beginners soldering course next year as whatever regulations come in I can't see them checking every electronic board coming in so will try and maintain my regulated that way.
    My dad way back when I was a kid was a T.V. repairman and I can remember him talking about how he hated transistors over tubes because they were harder to replace!
    That lasted about two weeks until he finally figured out how those new fangled things worth the 10 sec. more it took to solder them. Technology evolves quickly these days there will be better solutions coming if we choose to look for them!

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama

There is no simple answer aside from the kick there is a fuse but it limits as well. The safest way to use a mech. mod is to use a calculator to determine your builds, use an ohm meter to verify your builds and to know your battery limits. I never go below .3 and I feel as safe as I would with a VW device. It's not rocket science on battery limits most are 20 amp CDR so .3 ohms for example is 14 amp @ 4.2 volts, I'm below the CDR and have some wiggle room.

EDIT: Most reputable batteries are 20 amp CDR, there are lower but most stocked now are 20, at least where I live and shop online.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Technology does indeed move fast when it has a reason despite what we might want to think vaping is a niche activity there just aren't the funds for substantial research and development of totally new technology, what is marketed as new tech in vaping is a reuse on existing tech. Haley you still haven't understood the simplicity argument mechs as they are now are safe in the hands of people who know what they are doing see above for good explanation why. What your asking for is to make things near idiot proof and I don't agree with that and never will not everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator for safety's sake. Personal responsibility has all but vanished amongst some people who are either too lazy or ignorant to do such things for themselves and want it done for them no matter the negative impact on the majority, mechs highlight this as they bought a mech when they should have bought a regulated arrogance and stupidity is impossible to overcome and no matter how hard any person or agency tries it just cannot be regulated for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread