Mech mod disfigures a e-cig user, sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Its not odd, batteries swell before they vent from the top making bottom venting useless.

By my math pressure built up inside the mod until the top cap threading failed and blew off with about 800 to 1000 pounds of force. Thus busted face.

I have been arguing in another thread that conventional bottom venting is generally poor design. It appears like a case where one person came up with venting at the bottom, then other manufacturers copied it by making holes in the bottom, without ever putting a second thought into it.

We wouldn't want gasses venting in our faces, but at the same time, battery swelling does happen (even if others posted youtube links where a guy vented 4 batteries without consequences and it was thus 'fine'). Even if the battery does not swell, the shrink wrap will contract further and likely tear, with a fair chance at blocking off the small tolerances between tube and battery at least partially.
On the inside of any rigid tube, or dual boxmods that use tube style receivers, there should be channels on the inside of the tube to allow for gas travel from the top of the battery to the venting holes.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I personally choose not to use mechanical mods. I'm not 100% confident in my abilities to vape them safely, and I love you all too much to damage a community that has improved my live so much.

With that being said, it is a personal choice, not one for me to make for anyone else. I can strongly suggest users do homework before using a re-wrapped 10A eFest on a .2 Ohm coil with a sealed mod... but unfortunately, no one can stop them, and not one news station will resist the attention, and ad revenue to misrepresent, and exploit a tragedy.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
"We're all just guinea pigs. Until we speak up and try to share with other people that these are dangerous and they can happen to you, then people aren't going to know," Cindy said.

:-x
We are all just guinea pigs in the vaping game. And it does take more knowledge to vape safely than to smoke unless you use disposable cigalikes. Yech.
We do not yet know what long term impacts vaping may have on us if any. Overly dangerous for those of us who educate ourselves on vaping reasonably? Nope
I still feel it is much safer than smoking.
Typed as I sit here vaping on a mech mod using AP infested juice at a blazing 19 watts ;)

Personally I do not think it wise to start vaping with a mech mod and a TFV4....

Wake'n'Vape

Oct 30, 2015
What safety features does a regulated mod have that would prevent something like this happening? All these stories seem to be mech-mods, surely if they have the potential to be very dangerous in the wrong hands, they should not be so readily available and marketed in the same way as regulated mods o_O. Excuse the noob question

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
What safety features does a regulated mod have that would prevent something like this happening? All these stories seem to be mech-mods, surely if they have the potential to be very dangerous in the wrong hands, they should not be so readily available and marketed in the same way as regulated mods o_O. Excuse the noob question
A regulated mod has a reset fuse when the battery cannot handle a load the fuse will trip. They are auto reset fuses so after the mod cools down it will work like normal again but if you try the same bad battery it will trip again..

Heat and battery sag is monitored in some mods as an added feature there's literally no worry but accident do happen so its not 100% but darn close..

BTW you can tell when your cell phone battery is going bad by your cell phone being warmer than usual, when that starts happening the battery is on its last legs. Or you can use a battery monitoring app lol...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Most regulated mods are not so tightly sealed up around the battery and will just vent out the battery door vs exploding. Many/most also have a high temp shutdown feature.

This has got me to thinking that I might drill 3 vent holes around the top of my Mechs....

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
In this case dead short protection.

This is a completely unregulated market, currently you can sell anything.

Plus you cant sue a Chinese company.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Most regulated mods are not so tightly sealed up around the battery and will just vent out the battery door vs exploding. Many/most also have a high temp shutdown feature.

This has got me to thinking that I might drill 3 vent holes around the top of my Mechs....
:D
image.jpg

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I'm waiting for someone to do a news report on how I vape a mech safely everyday.
"We're all just guinea pigs. Until we speak up and try to share with other people that these are dangerous and they can happen to you, then people aren't going to know," Cindy said.

:-x

I would love to tell Cindy when I wanted a mech I did plenty of research on them to be safe, and I haven't had not one hiccup. I'm sorry you married a ....., hope you haven't had any little ...... yet. :)

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
In that picture the top pole supposedly positive where the arrow is pointing to on any battery is also negative casing. Positive is only the small center of the topcap.

That top negative portion is used by engineers to make soldered power packs where every bit of space is utilized efficiently....

18650_pack_zps735cc314.jpg

PB6000_case_battery_zps3f94889e.jpg
That is true but that gap between the pressfit top and the casing is the fail point.

Reactions: Baditude

Stratm69

Feb 3, 2015
Wanted to quit smoking, bought a mech mod...

That's like buying your toddler a 16 piece kitchen knife set for Christmas and expecting them not to get hurt.

This is why vape shops need to be stern about ohms law and battery safety. Any newbie can stroll in with a pocket full of cash, walk right out, and have no idea what they're doing. And the employees let them leave that way!

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I thought the new laws shut down all the shops in Arkansas.
Nope it just makes the vendors get liscences and regulates juice manufacture mostly.
Out of state vendors also have to get liscences which makes me suspect that this setup was purchased locally since there are a limited number of licenses...
Of course ordering from China....

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    That is true but that gap between the pressfit top and the casing is the fail point.

That's true, however .... as it fails, it mushrooms causing it to seal .... then the casing ruptures.
    After the mushroom seals .... the top vent might no longer be part of the equation.
    We went through this extensively here on ecf a couple of years ago. The only "safe" vent goes the full length of the tube.
    EMSS - ECF Metal tubemods Safety Specification

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Battery.
    It's all about the lithium battery.

Maybe he had an ICR battery in there, with a torn wrapper.

And based on the picture it sure looks like there is a bottom switch from a bottom fired mech mod.

Josh Swartz is stitched up, but out of work as he fights through the pain of healing. He says he bought his e-cigarette just two weeks ago in hopes it would help him quit smoking.

Josh says he bought a Fu Chai Mechanical Mod. "I put it to my mouth and as soon as I pressed the button on the bottom, the device exploded," Josh said.

Struggling to speak, Josh slowly explained what he says happened on Friday night.

"As soon as it exploded, I just had this intense pain and burning inside my mouth and my throat," he said.

His wife, Cindy, says she was headed to the garage to meet Josh when she heard what sounded like a gunshot and saw flames shooting from the garage.

"That's when I looked back and I found my husband bent over here in the garage and gasping for air and he couldn't even speak to me," Cindy said.

Josh suffered burns to his mouth, throat and hand, shattered teeth, and severed lips.

"It was hanging down, and this entire piece here had to be put back into place. Then there's a hole through my lip here," he explained.

The couple believes the battery is to blame. Cindy showed how the electronic cigarette broke into pieces during the explosion, turning the battery almost inside out.

They say they were never warned of possible dangers, but they hope to help change that.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bad Ninja

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I thought the new laws shut down all the shops in Arkansas.
    Nope, It just says we can't order on-line. As I understand it, Purchases have to be made face to face as in B&M store.

gotta keep those sales taxes in-state :facepalm:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread