Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The problem isn't clones.
The same idiots would have dead shorted a $400 authentic.
In fact, many of the toppers were authentic sub ohm tanks.

If you read what I said I didn't say the issue was the clones themselves, but the cost of the clones makes it easier for people to get them when they don't know what they are doing.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If you read what I said I didn't say the issue was the clones themselves, but the cost of the clones makes it easier for people to get them when they don't know what they are doing.

So true Nancy.

I like the availability of less costly equipment, but it is most definitely a double sided Sword.
For a Vaper with understanding and a tight budget. a Few clones can keep one happy and Groceries on the table.<A Reason>
For the inexperienced Vaper looking to save bucks<an excuse> and a Bad Choice.
Thankfully with better and better production of low cost Regulated mods we may experience a shift to safer technology for the new vaper.(hopefully)

Reactions: Racehorse

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Look I'm sure there are some clones that do/can cause issues due to poor machining, cheap plastic insulators that can melt, and bad placement or lack of vents. The lack of venting though is usually no different than with the authentic that is copied. I think (and could be wrong) but as the VW devices go higher and the prices come down, this could be an issue across the board. I know that many VW devices have fuses and shutoffs but that doesn't mean they can't fail as well.

People want to state mechs. are dangerous and people should go regulated, the truth is that both CAN be dangerous if used improperly. People feel safer with VW devices and that's fine but to some extent it is a false sense of security, no different than the TSA, seatbelts, airbags and etc. I love how some people love to say it is due to cheap Chinese clones, yet puff on that Chinese made circuit board pushing itself to the limits because they figured out how to firmware upgrade boards.

The truth is, no matter which type of device one uses there is an inherent risk. We are using these batteries for things they were never designed for and by expecting a battery to take on such a load and work right 100% of the time, we are actually playing with fire. Now we can as users do things that can mitigate the risk or increase the risk. The amount of "reports" we see and hear prove this, many more people build/use devices correctly than those who do not.

My biggest question/concern is of the people that have been injured is, was it due to: battery failure (bad product), battery failure (misuse), lack of knowledge of device, and/or just intentionally pushing the limits. Those are the questions that never get answered, we as users ourselves need to know if a bad batch of product was released and such. The problem is, every single report of someone hurt is the same story, poor me. We never actually hear what they did, what battery or type they were using, what build they had, or what is their knowledge level.

Too many people don't want to admit when they mess up, so the rest of us may have to suffer and that's the grind, people need to own it good or bad.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Ya those dumb poor people.
o_O

That's one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on ECF.

Money doesn't equal smart.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Which proves you don't understand what I said.

That's exactly what you said.
I quoted your post above for clarification.
I call 'em like I see 'em.

Access to gear isn't the problem.
It's the YouTube expert/leap first/ careless attitude some people have that causes problems.

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
That's exactly what you said.
I quoted your post above for clarification.
I call 'em like I see 'em.

Access to gear isn't the problem.
It's the YouTube expert/leap first/ careless attitude some people have that causes problems.

no you twisted what I said, at no point in time did I say it was idiots, YOU did

Reactions: haleysdadda

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
no you twisted what I said, at no point in time did I say it was idiots, YOU did

You may not have used the word idiot itself but I get the same thing from it as Bad Ninja. Your point is that cheap products make it easier for people that don't know how to use them, get them. No sane, rational, or smart person would buy a product without some knowledge of how to use it, or at the very least learn before use, therefore idiots.

If we were to just look at cost alone, the istick 50W is much cheaper than a mech. in all regards. Mechs. are not actually a cheap option, by the time you buy a mod, batteries, and a charger, one has spent enough to buy a smaller wattage device (30W to 75W) easily.

No the people using mechs. and getting hurt are either A- not informed, B- don't care, or C- A&B together. I'm sure some incidents do happen with advanced vapers but those are not plastered on the news. Those people know what they did or did not do and don't want to make a scene. It's the people that for some reason or another lack common sense to learn their device and it's limitations.

I again look at automobiles, they are safer now than they have ever been, yet more people are dying and/or being hurt by accidents. Why? Well it goes back to a false sense of security, people that feel safer do riskier things. People that become complacent make mistakes, it happens in everything in everyday life, not just with vaping. These device are not toys, yet how many people have you seen treat them like toys? Many people do not understand that these batteries are not the AA's in their remote.

This story proves the guy did not know anything. The tank is made to run low on high watts, not on mech. mods. If the guy had took the time to at least learn ohms law, he would have never been hurt because he would have not used that tank on that mod. If his wife is to be belived about a fireball (I see no reason not to believe her) it means he was NOT using safer chem. batteries. There again he did not do his homework and his injury is (unfortunate) his own fault.

Safer chem. batteries can vent but are less violent and rarely have a flame, in the event of a flame there wouldn't be a "fireball" for sure. I'm willing to be he was running an ICR, which is great for a flashlight but bad for you face.

People need to quit making excuses for stupidity, be it actions or advice.

Reactions: beckdg

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
You may not have used the word idiot itself but I get the same thing from it as Bad Ninja. Your point is that cheap products make it easier for people that don't know how to use them, get them. No sane, rational, or smart person would buy a product without some knowledge of how to use it, or at the very least learn before use, therefore idiots.

If we were to just look at cost alone, the istick 50W is much cheaper than a mech. in all regards. Mechs. are not actually a cheap option, by the time you buy a mod, batteries, and a charger, one has spent enough to buy a smaller wattage device (30W to 75W) easily.

No the people using mechs. and getting hurt are either A- not informed, B- don't care, or C- A&B together. I'm sure some incidents do happen with advanced vapers but those are not plastered on the news. Those people know what they did or did not do and don't want to make a scene. It's the people that for some reason or another lack common sense to learn their device and it's limitations.

I again look at automobiles, they are safer now than they have ever been, yet more people are dying and/or being hurt by accidents. Why? Well it goes back to a false sense of security, people that feel safer do riskier things. People that become complacent make mistakes, it happens in everything in everyday life, not just with vaping. These device are not toys, yet how many people have you seen treat them like toys? Many people do not understand that these batteries are not the AA's in their remote.

This story proves the guy did not know anything. The tank is made to run low on high watts, not on mech. mods. If the guy had took the time to at least learn ohms law, he would have never been hurt because he would have not used that tank on that mod. If his wife is to be belived about a fireball (I see no reason not to believe her) it means he was NOT using safer chem. batteries. There again he did not do his homework and his injury is (unfortunate) his own fault.

Safer chem. batteries can vent but are less violent and rarely have a flame, in the event of a flame there wouldn't be a "fireball" for sure. I'm willing to be he was running an ICR, which is great for a flashlight but bad for you face.

People need to quit making excuses for stupidity, be it actions or advice.

New does not always equal idiot, but that is what the two of you take away from what I said, which means you are assuming what you don't know or understand

Edited: added does not that should have been in there

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
New always equal idiot, but that is what the two of you take away from what I said, which means you are assuming what you don't know or understand

I never said new, actually there are plenty of people vaping for a long time, that still shouldn't use a mech. It has nothing to do with vape time, it has everything to do with mentality. You're assuming now, sorry.

NancyR

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I never said new, actually there are plenty of people vaping for a long time, that still shouldn't use a mech. It has nothing to do with vape time, it has everything to do with mentality. You're assuming now, sorry.

No, actually I'm not as MY posts have been about NEW vapers

And just an FYI, the ones making the news are not high end mechs, they are cheap china clones, and while I have nothing against clones, I do dislike that the lower cost clones make it easier for new vapers without the knowledge to use them safely can buy them from any number of places including fasttech.

Reactions: haleysdadda

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
@NancyR Stop! Those people are two of the same ones that won't give ANY reasons other than reliability for how safety devices on mechs would effect the quality their vaping experience.
Please someone tell me what safety devices would do! Lower watts? voltage drops? ect...! And would these losses even combined be detrimental or even noticable? Not trying to take away anything! Just trying to get people to think how they could make these devices safer for everyone without performance loss! Seems to me that tech today otta be able to solve this.

Reactions: NancyR

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It always amuses me how in threads like this a certain group of people ASSUME that the idea that batteries can be extremely dangerous would be common knowledge for anyone but the stupid people. Well, actually, I don't find it amusing at all, but the inability to realize how false that assumption is does kind of make me wonder.

Before a person can do basic research on the safety of batteries, they have to know that there is a reason for such concern. The average person walking down the street doesn't know any such thing for the most part. Now you can argue that the average person walking down the street is stupid, and I may not argue the point. But regardless, it's a losing argument.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Vaping isn't the danger, it's the careless people, mouths above their driptips, that do not know the first thing about battery safety or Ohm's law.
How many people even know what Ohm's Law is?
Maybe 1 out of 5 at best would be my guess.

Many people do not understand that these batteries are not the AA's in their remote.
I would be very comfortable with "most" rather than "many" in your post above.

The answer isn't to ban mech mods, it is shops need to quit selling them if they don't know how to educate the end user or if the user doesn't want to bother learning.
This.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well I got exactly what Nancy was saying, and I agree with what she said! Funny part is Bad Ninja said the same damn thing ... just different wording.

The bottom line is that the NEW person doesn't know. Probably their only exposure is what they saw on a shelf at 7-11.
    They walk into a vape shop, look at an old eGo kit ($70), and right beside it is a $20 shiny mechanical clone. What the hell would you buy!?!

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama

Proving my point, assuming that these types of things can only happen with new vapers. Again many people vaping for a time still may not rebuild or use anything other than an ego, then decide to go further without researching first. It doesn't matter how long someone has vaped to be able to rank their knowledge or skill level.

@NancyR Stop! Those people are two of the same ones that won't give ANY reasons other than reliability for how safety devices on mechs would effect the quality their vaping experience.
    Please someone tell me what safety devices would do! Lower watts? voltage drops? ect...! And would these losses even combined be detrimental or even noticable? Not trying to take away anything! Just trying to get people to think how they could make these devices safer for everyone without performance loss! Seems to me that tech today otta be able to solve this.

Safety of devices is a matter of opinion. I feel just as safe with a mech. as with a VW device but I use caution and know what each can or cannot do. Education and being careful are two safest things one can do. One could pile in all the safeties in the world but that still doesn't make it safe, just safer. Fail safes and fuses themselves can fail, our homes have fuses or breakers that trip if there is a short but I have seen these fail, nothing is perfect. The key is inspection followed by repairing or replacing iffy parts and of course only using compatible pieces.

It always amuses me how in threads like this a certain group of people ASSUME that the idea that batteries can be extremely dangerous would be common knowledge for anyone but the stupid people. Well, actually, I don't find it amusing at all, but the inability to realize how false that assumption is does kind of make me wonder.

Before a person can do basic research on the safety of batteries, they have to know that there is a reason for such concern. The average person walking down the street doesn't know any such thing for the most part. Now you can argue that the average person walking down the street is stupid, and I may not argue the point. But regardless, it's a losing argument.

When a person makes the choice to use a device that has removable batteries they should understand what they are. When a person especially with mechs. goes out and just buys things, they are essentially going half cocked. I agree people should know there is a concern but when they buy something that is not a "normal" kit, they should already have an idea that there is more going on here. This again goes back to education, if it is local then shops should explain. If someone is getting online and buying then they should research what they are buying (reviews, how to use, tips and tricks). I don't want to see people hurt but at the same time one cannot say that they didn't have any fault in it. I find it hard nowadays for people to buy mechs. and not know what they are buying. Look, most people know car batteries can hurt you but they may not own a car, it's no different. People have to get out of the plug and play mentality, just cause it fits don't mean a thing.

It's just like people wanting to go after gun man. companies, a good example is the .223 and 5.56 ammo. They look the same and are technically the same caliber but the 5.56 has more psi. Is it the makers place or the users place to know the difference? People need to just stop doing and start thinking first. If they are new to vaping why do they need a sub ohm tank, why do they need a mech. mod? If they are experienced then again why do they need to go to sub ohms, why do they need a mech. mod ? If they ask then they know they need to research, therefore finding all the info they need.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I personally think it is stupid for someone to go buy something and just shove it in their face, especially when they don't know what it is or how it works. On a side note and to lighten the mood, do you think Adam and Eve had a similar argument, lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread