Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
A lower resistance on an unregulated device will draw more current and therefore generate more heat as per ohms law.

I'm assuming you have not measured the resistance incorrectly.

What is the composition of the old coil and the new one? As in coil metal, wire guage, clapton or round wire etc?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

DOCG

May 17, 2018
A lower resistance on an unregulated device will draw more current and therefore generate more heat as per ohms law.

I'm assuming you have not measured the resistance incorrectly.

What is the composition of the old coil and the new one? As in coil metal, wire guage, clapton or round wire etc?

Now I have clapton type coils 0.55 ohm 1x. But I have a dual setup so reeistance cuts in half right?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Mech mods heating up fast is a bad sign. The new coil maybe closer to the metal of the mod maybe?

In any case a battery heating up is bad. Bad enough to toss the battery maybe, depending on cause. The last mech explosion in the news has basically put me off mechanical mods for the time being though so perhaps I am biased.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I wouldn’t rely on what purchased coils say for resistance. Do you have anything you can test the resistance on? Also, the kind of battery and its age matters regarding how much power is safe to draw from it. Can you tell us what you’re using?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
what battery are you using and how old is it?
That. Also what's the make and model of your mech mod?

And just because my spider balls are tingling... how long are you with vaping and what other equipment do you have?
Do you know what "CDR" means? Have you ever read a battery safety guide?

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY

And just because my spider balls are tingling... how long are you with vaping and what other equipment do you have?

Kind of wondering about your last couple of questions too...

DOCG

May 17, 2018
Mech mods heating up fast is a bad sign. The new coil maybe closer to the metal of the mod maybe?

In any case a battery heating up is bad. Bad enough to toss the battery maybe, depending on cause. The last mech explosion in the news has basically put me off mechanical mods for the time being though so perhaps I am biased.

I misunderstood the question. Have you actually tested the resistance of the two coils once they are installed on the device? The important question here is what battery are you using and how old is it?

I wouldn’t rely on what purchased coils say for resistance. Do you have anything you can test the resistance on? Also, the kind of battery and its age matters regarding how much power is safe to draw from it. Can you tell us what you’re using?

Kind of wondering about your last couple of questions too...

I use ohmeter to test my coils. And I am using Sony vtc5 2600mah and 30 A

• Disagree
Reactions: Baditude

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

The VTC5 are NOT 30A batteries, they're 20A!
VTC5A are NOT 30A batteries, they're 25A! (30A with battery temperature monitoring circuitry)

This doesn't matter for the builds you posted though, they're both drawing below 20A.
What is the mech mod you're using? (manufacturer, model)
Have you ever read a battery safety guide?

I know I'm maybe annoying but those are important questions not meant to judge you or whatever.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Does one part of the mech get hot the most or quickest?

^ BTW
qfiSUAL.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think you are too uninformed/misinformed to be sub-ohming on a mech mod. You were misinformed of your battery's true specs. You should already know that batteries should never feel hot to touch.

Mech mods are not for beginners. Subohming is not for beginners. You need to learn about battery specifications, know where to find accurate battery specifications, learn how to use a mech mod safely, and learn how to use an ohm's law calculator before using your mech setup.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to make it even simpler to understand.
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • An essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their true specifications.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
Don't be this unfortunate fellow:
First vape related death

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

The VTC5 are NOT 30A batteries, they're 20A!
VTC5A are NOT 30A batteries, they're 25A! (30A with battery temperature monitoring circuitry)

This doesn't matter for the builds you posted though, they're both drawing below 20A.
What is the mech mod you're using? (manufacturer, model)
Have you ever read a battery safety guide?

I know I'm maybe annoying but those are important questions not meant to judge you or whatever.
It's true. untar means well despite his arguable lack of tar

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Please learn to vape on a regulated mod first.

There are answers to all your questions, and you are getting some good ones. Put it away for now, buy an inexpensive regulated mod AS you are learning mech safety. There are ZERO good reasons for starting vaping with a mech, truly. Once you learn, gather the necessary equipment (including an ohm's reader) well, then you can work on building your mech skills.

No disrespect intended, but you aren't ready to vape that.

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

I freely admit that the line "and just because my spider balls are tingling" sent coffee flying out of both nostrils at impressive velocity .

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Ive got a question about mechs myself. Ive never used one so i dont know how they vape. I do have 2 really nice regulated mods and i know that im completely satisfied with the vape i get out of them. In fact, i just now pulled off a really nice build on my limitless plus ands its rocking. And by pulled off, i mean put on, lol. What would a mech do for me that im not already getting from this voopoo drag and limitless plus combo? FYI, 26ga twisted kanthal duals at .30oms. Inside diameter is 3mm and 7 wraps. Its really kicking. Love it. So why would i want a mech?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Ive got a question about mechs myself. Ive never used one so i dont know how they vape. I do have 2 really nice regulated mods and i know that im completely satisfied with the vape i get out of them. In fact, i just now pulled off a really nice build on my limitless plus ands its rocking. And by pulled off, i mean put on, lol. What would a mech do for me that im not already getting from this voopoo drag and limitless plus combo? FYI, 26ga twisted kanthal duals at .30oms. Inside diameter is 3mm and 7 wraps. Its really kicking. Love it. So why would i want a mech?
Absolutely nothing. There's no reason to use a mech nowadays. Some of us have used them from the beginning and we love the simplicity, smooth power delivery and the reliability. As one who runs squonkers 95% of the time, I like mechs because I don't want my chip right next to a bottle of juice. If my bottle breaks, I wash my mod out in the sink.

Performance wise, if you're happy with your regulated set up, there's no reason to experiment with a mech .

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I can see the simplicity angle. But, again, i take pretty good care of my mods and dont anticipate any real troubles. I bought a little single battery mech from a girl at work a while back. Some cheap thing, nothing special. It was so nothing special that it wouldnt even work, lol. But the little 22mm rda that came with it gets plenty of use on my regulated mods simply because it kicks .... Blows my mind everytime i use it because of the clouds it makes. Its such a tiny thing, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread