Mech mod heating up quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Used to be, when I started vaping. The only way to sub ohm vape or "cloud chase" was to use a mech as most regulated mods had a max power output of 11-15w. Now days I cant really imagine a good reason for most people to even own a mech. In general even higher end regulated devices wont cost a whole lot more than a mech, most regulated mods will support lower resistances and higher power output allot more safely. I still have two Nemesis mechs around and hardly use them because the regulated device I have is so much more versatile.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What would a mech do for me that im not already getting? So why would i want a mech?
Why do people choose a mech over regulated?

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:

The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (or regulated) to stay the same voltage throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.

The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience.

Has built-in protective circuitry against atomizer short circuits, shorts in the 510 connector, or fire button; accidentally putting the battery in backwards; over discharging
the battery; accidentally pressing the fire button too long (auto cutoff timer); and over-heating of the processor.

Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery voltage status and the ohm rating of the coil.​

Regulated Cons:

Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time compared to a mech. Electrical components may fail over time or from physical abuse.

Unless it is a modern "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire a sub-ohm resistance coil.​

Mechanical Pro's:

Generally speaking, are made to be more durable and able to withstand some physical abuse. No electronic components to fail.

Before there were modern high wattage regulated mods, mechs were the only way to be able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it. Today, the majority of regulated mods are able to fire sub-ohm coils.

Many mechs are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces. Many are manufactured in a limited run, in limited quantities, and inscribed with the number on the mod.​

Mechanical Cons:

No protection circuitry. This is the big one for beginners. The new user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit, which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. The mod must have ventilation holes in case you experience a venting episode and which should prevent your mod from becoming an exploding pipe bomb.

No voltage regulation of the battery. As the battery drains from use, the vape quality and battery voltage to the atomiser will diminish from start to finish. (4.2 volts with a fresh battery; about 3 volts when the battery needs to be replaced)​

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
It comes down to one thing....mechs aren't for everyone. That's not saying everyone couldn't figure out how to use one safely, it's just saying everyone isn't interested in doing due diligence to figure it out. For those of us who use them, they're irreplaceable. If any part of my squonk mods breaks for whatever reason, I have a drawer full of replacement parts. The enclosures themselves are nearly indestructible . If I need new contacts, I cut them from the silver or beryllium copper sheets I have . They're going to work long after I'm gone . I build well within the parameters of my batteries and my vape style doesn't require anything fancy .

So, yes....for me, there is absolutely a reason to use mechanical mods. I have regulated mods as well.... sometimes I like using an RTA. Usually it's a skyline or a squape e-motion. Neither require anything crazy low or fancy. I generally run those under 30 watts. One thing I'm sure of, is I'll Outlast those mods . I can't fix those .

If anyone is as satisfied with their regulated mods as I am my mechs..... nope, no reason to Branch out

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use mech squonk mods (I have no desire for a mech tube, doesn't appeal to me) for basically the same reason as Asbestos, easy to repair and easy to clean up any spills or leaks, and some of them are very pleasing to look at. With that said, they are typically my back up most of the time, and I run a regulated squonk mod 75% of the time (made sure to get one that the chip is not accessible through the internal cavity so no liquid can get on it, in case of spills/leaks) just so I don't have to pay as much attention to it.

Mechs do have a place, but regulated is better most of the time.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I use mech squonk mods (I have no desire for a mech tube, doesn't appeal to me) for basically the same reason as Asbestos, easy to repair and easy to clean up any spills or leaks, and some of them are very pleasing to look at. With that said, they are typically my back up most of the time, and I run a regulated squonk mod 75% of the time (made sure to get one that the chip is not accessible through the internal cavity so no liquid can get on it, in case of spills/leaks) just so I don't have to pay as much attention to it.

Mechs do have a place, but regulated is better most of the time.
*For you

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Ive got a question about mechs myself. Ive never used one so i dont know how they vape. I do have 2 really nice regulated mods and i know that im completely satisfied with the vape i get out of them. In fact, i just now pulled off a really nice build on my limitless plus ands its rocking. And by pulled off, i mean put on, lol. What would a mech do for me that im not already getting from this voopoo drag and limitless plus combo? FYI, 26ga twisted kanthal duals at .30oms. Inside diameter is 3mm and 7 wraps. Its really kicking. Love it. So why would i want a mech?

I like to tinker. That’s why I delved into mechs and building coils for a while. It was part quitting smoking and part hobby. Also, I like that if the feds drop a hammer on the ecig industry I’ve got back up for if/when my regulated mods die.

I don’t have a lot of time to tinker these days, so I switched to regulated mods and subohm tanks with factory coils for the most part.

Reactions: dennism
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread