Mech Mod Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Well, my little bundle of safety has arrived....

For anyone looking for safety fuses for mech mods, vape-Cafe in Israel has them in stock.

These are resettable, and not very expensive ((75 shekels for 5 of them)

15520704487328590655558185943945.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So how does it work? Too low voltage and auto cut off or too much over draw and auto cut off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I googled this and am getting descriptions that seem deliberately a bit vague. This implies to me there are several different commonly used methodolologies with similar effect. The similar effect though is when there is a current surge it is detected by one of several methods and the circuit is broken. The process is apparently extremely fast in all cases. So much so that possible air arcing between contact points as the connection is broken has a heavy impact on the relative speed.

I’m not sure if it’s either high or low voltage cut off. Some seem to be high heat cutoff. Hard to know. The thing seems to be assembled from off the shelf parts. Model and part numbers could possibly be used to answer that question though the whole mess would probably need to be handed to an engineer or something as they have more experience in these matters.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Well, my little bundle of safety has arrived....

For anyone looking for safety fuses for mech mods, Vape-Cafe in Israel has them in stock.

These are resettable, and not very expensive ((75 shekels for 5 of them)

View attachment 801995

I'm interested as to how these work also. Although one thing is for sure they will increase voltage drop....keep us posted :)

• Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I just found this on the vape safe website....

''The Vape Safe fuse goes between the mod and the negative side of your 18xxx sized battery. "Due to the extra length it will add to your battery we can not guarantee it will work in all units." 7 amp Safety fuse for use in most mods. With lithium batteries one of the biggest safety issues can come from a hard short. The fuse is a mechanical fuse that will trip if it senses a short in the mod by breaking the connection to the battery.

"While this is an extra safety feature is not a complete fail safe." The VapeSafe can also help protect variable voltage circuitry in some devices, hot springs, and other circuitry in your mod that can be damaged from a short.''

The problem here is that this is only helpful for very high ohm builds as presumably it will pop as soon as the op exceeds a 7 amp draw...but correct me if i'm wrong?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I just found this on the vape safe website....

''The Vape Safe fuse goes between the mod and the negative side of your 18xxx sized battery. "Due to the extra length it will add to your battery we can not guarantee it will work in all units." 7 amp Safety fuse for use in most mods. With lithium batteries one of the biggest safety issues can come from a hard short. The fuse is a mechanical fuse that will trip if it senses a short in the mod by breaking the connection to the battery.

"While this is an extra safety feature is not a complete fail safe." The VapeSafe can also help protect variable voltage circuitry in some devices, hot springs, and other circuitry in your mod that can be damaged from a short.''

The problem here is that this is only helpful for very high ohm builds as presumably it will pop as soon as the op exceeds a 7 amp draw...but correct me if i'm wrong?
Fuses iirc are not resettable. It’s basically a deliberately kind of crappy resistor that fails if the load gets to high. Generally by simply melting.

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
All I see is a waste of time with those, the usable range of those fuses would be such high resistance that the very point of having a mech is void ab initio. I’m happy without any safety and subohming my cells to hell.

To be frank, batteries don’t just vent out of nowhere. It takes some really serious carelessness or immense stupidity for that. [emoji2371]

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah exactly, so basically unusable for most purposes :)
Not at all! They just don’t work twice is all. If your fuse blows because your battery was dumping above 7amps the battery was about to blow anyway and shouldn’t be used again in the first place. It’s not to keep your battery safe, it’s to keep your face safe.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Not at all! They just don’t work twice is all. If your fuse blows because your battery was dumping above 7amps the battery was about to blow anyway and shouldn’t be used again in the first place. It’s not to keep your battery safe, it’s to keep your face safe.

My point was that most batteries are dumping more than 7 amps sub-ohm.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

What is this phenomenon where a 15a, 20a, 30a CDR cell would be 'about to blow' with a 7a draw...

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
They are short circuit protection, plain and simple. Yes, they are limited to a 7 amp current draw, which is fine for those who enjoy their mechs at or above 0.6 ohms.

Yes agreed so no good for me and really i think the best way to keep safe is to have a healthy fear and respect for your kit and know how to use it. These sort of devices make me worry that they will lead people to a false sense of security.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes agreed so no good for me and really i think the best way to keep safe is to have a healthy fear and respect for your kit and know how to use it. These sort of devices make me worry that they will lead people to a false sense of security.
Oh I agree that the best way to be safe is knowledge and putting that knowledge into practice. I'm not going to say that a 7-amp fuse is useless though ... and in a way, it isn't really encouraging any more of a false sense of security than say trusting the short circuit protection on a regulated mod.

Reactions: charlie1465

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Seem to have stuck a big wooden spoon in here.....

I am assuming these must have a bimetallic strip, as they supposedly reset after a cool down.

And yes, I am a plus ohm vaper.

I will let you know what they are like when my new mods arrive, they are made to allow room for these devices.

I will let you know what the resistance/conductance difference is, and the difference in vape as well

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
What is this phenomenon where a 15a, 20a, 30a CDR cell would be 'about to blow' with a 7a draw...

Beats the hell out of me, I’ve used Sony VTC 4,5,6 with the same build for almost 3 years now...and trust me it’s below .10 no fatalities yet. But yes I do change my batteries every 3 months or so. Since I’m just beating them up so badly.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
Please remember that although I am well over an ohm, and happy with it, and understand ohm's law.... (As well as being an engineer, I used to have a little part time job lecturing at a local uni- Electrical and Electronic Principles to undergrads).....

I am an engineer, and I like not only to be safe, but to feel safe as well. Just as I lock off a machine I am working on, I will also lock it off, even when I am the only person there, and the door is locked......

I like the idea of redundancy in safety...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread