Mech Mod Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Oh I agree that the best way to be safe is knowledge and putting that knowledge into practice. I'm not going to say that a 7-amp fuse is useless though ... and in a way, it isn't really encouraging any more of a false sense of security than say trusting the short circuit protection on a regulated mod.

I agree....partly. I think that there is more risk with this as opposed to a regulated device simply because there is more risk of a catastrophic failure....torn battery wraps and a mech mod casing for example.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I agree....partly. I think that there is more risk with this as opposed to a regulated device simply because there is more risk of a catastrophic failure....torn battery wraps and a mech mod casing for example.
Well a regulated device is by definition vastly safer simply because they generally have 5 or 6 types of safety features instead of just one. It’s not even close. I do think though that if it’s a case of mech as the only option, mech with fuse and positive connector venting is better.
I learned to wrap coils on mechs and I’ve owned 6 or 8 of them. I don’t have a single one I personally consider safe to use any more. Everything is relative though. They wait for the possible vapeoccalypse when my regulated mods all eventually die and I can’t get anything else. For me vaping is safer than not vaping.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
IMO if you know what you’re doing Mech’s are safer due simply to the fact you’re responsible for your safety not some mass produced chip manufactured by workers earning slave wages in some 3rd world country.

With that said -

Here's my lecture I give new Mech users.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2. Batteries,!!!!! take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a. Avoid .... batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!

b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d. In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)

6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
IMO if you know what you’re doing Mech’s are safer due simply to the fact you’re responsible for your safety not some mass produced chip manufactured by workers earning slave wages in some 3rd world country.

With that said -

Here's my lecture I give new Mech users.

1. Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2. Batteries,!!!!! take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a. Avoid .... batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!

b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d. In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)

6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Something else you may want to read then:
Can you identify the fake LG HG2 18650 Battery?
@Punk In Drublic layed that one on me a day or two ago. Shocked the heck out of me. Good luck with your genuine batteries. I genuinely hope yours are.

Reactions: hittman

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Reactions: gpjoe

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you’re that paranoid then it must be difficult taking public transportation, flying, etc. ;)

Not a problem at all. I don’t fly anymore not because I’m afraid of flying, but because the seats have become too small to accommodate my frame.

The difference is you seem to believe in personal perfection. I don’t. I don’t think my ability to keep perfect concentration and never make a mistake is any better than average. Therefore I am more willing to rely on professional expertise. A given bus driver is likely a better bus driver than me simply because they do it all day. Your position seems to be that there is a road to perfect safety and it starts by driving the bus yourself.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Not a problem at all. I don’t fly anymore not because I’m afraid of flying, but because the seats have become too small to accommodate my frame.

The difference is you seem to believe in personal perfection. I don’t. I don’t think my ability to keep perfect concentration and never make a mistake is any better than average. Therefore I am more willing to rely on professional expertise. A given bus driver is likely a better bus driver than me simply because they do it all day. Your position seems to be that there is a road to perfect safety and it starts by driving the bus yourself.

I have absolutely no clue where you ever got the idea that I believe in perfection, none.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
From here:
“IMO if you know what you’re doing Mech’s are safer due simply to the fact you’re responsible for your safety ”

And?

Have absolutely zero idea where you get that from that statement, none, zero. Please stop putting words in my mouth and making ASSumptions

Reactions: gpjoe

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    • Agree
    Reactions: charlie1465

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    Well, my little bundle of safety has arrived....

For anyone looking for safety fuses for mech mods, Vape-Cafe in Israel has them in stock.

These are resettable, and not very expensive ((75 shekels for 5 of them)

View attachment 801995

Bottom line: If these work for you, and make you feel safer, it's a good thing.

If they are resettable then likely a bi-metal disk or strip that pops with increased temperature.

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Well, my little bundle of safety has arrived....

For anyone looking for safety fuses for mech mods, Vape-Cafe in Israel has them in stock.

These are resettable, and not very expensive ((75 shekels for 5 of them)

View attachment 801995

They work great if you Vape under something like 15W, but for most all Vapers today they’re pretty much worthless if you Vape over 15-20W

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    And?

Have absolutely zero idea where you get that from that statement, none, zero. Please stop putting words in my mouth and making ASSumptions

Too much brevity on my part I guess. You likely already have seen this stuff or you wouldn’t have quoted me with the “put words in my mouth” thing, but hey if you can pretend so can I, so let’s.

The short version using more specific terms:
    This is a question of the capacity of flesh to achieve net control superior to mass produced microelectronics. You claimed (yes you did) that with sufficient training it can all the time, I claim it can’t. The training does help, but humans are not en total perfect to the degree required.

The vastly longer version:
    I omitted the 3rd world slave labor bit because both mechs and VV mods are built in the same place and are susceptible to the same problems that way. Mechs are simpler though, and therefore generally easier to build correctly. Doesn’t mean they are, but the probability is higher.
    Mechs have no built in error control systems other than very rudimentary ones like button shrouds and sometimes gas vent ports.
    Safety is provided entirely by user vigilance. Personal user vigilance. VV mods do have error control systems. A bunch of them. They are done electronically generally. Electric and electronic is mostly a difference in size. Often also in complication as well because electronics is mostly about fitting more electrical circuits into a smaller space by making them smaller. As circuits get more complicated they can be subject to greater possibility of errors in design or manufacture. Also when they get very very small they can become subject to things like cosmic storms which can change the magnetic polarity tiny tiny things like micro logic gates, or actually destroy the microscopically fine wiring. When relying on a VV mod one relies the ability of the engineer(s) of the device to over a period of weeks or years with testing and rechecking to do something quite complicated once. With a merely electrical device like a mech mod all the same physics applies but it’s much larger and there’s a lot less of it. It relies on the ability of the user to do things which are much more simple, but do them right every single time. It more or less moves the safety features from electronics to flesh. Flesh is electronics too though. And that electronics is Vastly smaller, more complicated, poorly understood than the stuff inside a VV mod. VV mods don’t sleep, get tired or angry, have bad days, get distracted, get involved in other things, or any of the vastly larger number of things that can degrade the performance of flesh. These weaknesses of flesh are generally to some degree controllable though.

Your claim seems to be that flesh is more reliable than electronics for monitoring in this situation because the increased possibilities of failure from the weaknesses of very complicated and small electrical circuits are in total greater than than the weaknesses of flesh. And to a degree you are right, IF the weakness of flesh are controlled. The issue though is a single failure is complete failure. The consequences can in some cases be dire, and they can happen very quickly. Flesh must maintain that superior level of control and do it all the time. Control of flesh must be effectively perfect.

Our difference I think is that you seem to feel that not just your personal human flesh, but any random human flesh is capable of sufficient control at all times to be better at control in net, than engineers and microelectronics. I don’t. More severely I view your personal flesh as random human flesh. I even view my personal flesh as random human flesh.

Does that help with the seeing? Probably not. It didn’t help the earlier times I made these points. None the less I had to try though. Not so much for your sake, as I simply don’t think it will work, but for the sake of other random flesh you are making claims of safety to. They might actually believe you.

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    They work great if you Vape under something like 15W, but for most all Vapers today they’re pretty much worthless if you Vape over 15-20W
    Perhaps not as "worthless" as you suggest. I think you seriously underestimate the low watt vaping population --- a recent (October 2018) poll here (with about a hundred data points) puts the percentage of under 20-watt vapers at about 47%:

How many watts do you vape at? (2018)

So, a 7-amp fuse could in fact be useful for quite a decent percentage of vapers today.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I haven’t used a mechanical mod in ages but having lived through evolution of vaping, back in the day there were only cigalikes or mechs and not many. I used to stack tenergy batteries in a prodigy and had a couple screwdriver mods by trog that I melted springs in. I look back now and consider myself lucky that I didn’t have a serious failure. However, back then, low resistance attys wasn’t really a thing.

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Perhaps not as "worthless" as you suggest. I think you seriously underestimate the low watt vaping population --- a recent (October 2018) poll here (with about a hundred data points) puts the percentage of under 20-watt vapers at about 47%:

How many watts do you vape at? (2018)

So, a 7-amp fuse could in fact be useful for quite a decent percentage of vapers today.
    Never said worthless for everyone and I know there are many tootle Puffers out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    All very interesting and all - me I'll stick with 1 ohm coils in my mech mods and just plain not worry. Great believer in simple systems me!

Leaving the wise to wrangle... ( albeit one sometimes forced to use the dreaded E Fests in the country where "the rents are low ) and the feeling is laid back!" )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread