Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Does a mechanical mod just automatically deliver the max power of the current charge on a battery fresh being 4.2V regardless of build? I am assuming this is the reason mechanical is so good for sub ohm because it always pushes max battery voltage?

Assuming you had a fresh battery and put on a build that has say 1.5 ohm this is a bad idea because it would probably fry your juice?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Yes a mech will deliver the natural voltage of a battery. I will never give the full 4.2 volts though, when you attach a resistance to a battery there will be what is known as voltage drop. Good mechs will have the smallest voltage drop of them all.

Since it only delivers what's left in the battery, you will feel your vape getting weaker and weaker as the battery drains itself.

4.2v and 1.5Ω = 11.76 Watts. This will not fry your juices but could give you a burnt taste if your wicking material is not efficient enough. Some people vape at 30 watts without frying their juices, It's a question of wicking and airflow.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Well when I got my first mech I tried putting a Kanger Protank on it, because back then I didn't know any better, and I fried 1.8 ohm coils so fast it wasn't even a joke. The atomizer and it's coil heads were just not up to the job and I needed a whole other architecture to get the best out of my mech. Enter the genesis RBA.

I bought an AGA-T2, learned how to roll a mesh wick from PBusardo on YT, and how to coil it, and in short order I had the vape I'd been looking for. I played with the coils a bit, and ended up with a .8 ohm coil in 28 kanthal I was happy with, for a while. Now I use 26 kanthal 5/4 wrap @ .7 ohm, and I'm even happier.

Now my coils last a far longer and are dirt cheap, and best of all I don't have to go to some B&M and shuck out cash for them every couple days. In fact, since I went to a mech and RBA, and started making my own juice, I don't need anything the B&M's have anymore.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Does a mechanical mod just automatically deliver the max power of the current charge on a battery fresh being 4.2V regardless of build? I am assuming this is the reason mechanical is so good for sub ohm because it always pushes max battery voltage?

Assuming you had a fresh battery and put on a build that has say 1.5 ohm this is a bad idea because it would probably fry your juice?

It's not about the voltage, it's about the watts made by a combination of voltage and coil resistance. Here are a couple of good resources for you:

Ohm's Law explained in layman terms.

Online Ohm's law calculator. Plug in any two values (voltage and resistance), click on 'calculate' and it will populate the rest.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Nightshard

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Israel
Regulated mods circuitry has many limitations, while with a mech yr only limited by your battery max amp rating, thats why mechs are suited for sub ohming and most regulated devices are not.
For example a mech with a fresh battery at 0.3 ohms delivers 58.8W (not calculating voltage drops).

A mech with a fresh battery delivers 4.2V but thats also the problem with mechs, since as your voltage drops, so does your wattage.

On principle you will never burn your juice as long as your atty/build/wick can handle what yr pushing through it and pull enough juice.

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
Yeah its interesting I had a .5 ohm on my Magma and even at 30W on my DNA30 it didn't match the power my stingray was delivering quite a significant difference in the warmth I got out of it and flavor.

I am eating my words now I am the one that made a negative thread about mechs.... shame on me for speaking before I experienced it myself but ya definitely better for sub ohm!!! at first I thought I hated sub ohm builds but I finally got a dual build on my Magma I enjoy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread