Status
Not open for further replies.

OCDP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Calgary, AB
Hi there,

I am somewhat new to mechanical mods and have two on the way, one being a GG Stealth (pretty stoked!) Both mods I have coming are 18350 mods. I also just started using genesis style atomizers. My question is, say I wrap a 2ohm coil and use it on my mechanical mod, what voltage will my mod be producing?

Will it be say 4.1 - 4.2v on a fresh charged battery, and if so, won't this burn my juice if my ohms are say 1.5 or below, etc? This has me a bit confused.

Right now I use my genesis style atomizer on my Provari, so I can check the ohms and set the voltage accordingly, but the whole mechanical mod thing has me confused with ohms and the voltage output, how would a 1.0ohm coil not burn my juice if the battery is pumping out 4.2 volts?

Any help is really appreciated, I know this is a noob question but I really want to understand how this works.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Hi there,

I am somewhat new to mechanical mods and have two on the way, one being a GG Stealth (pretty stoked!) Both mods I have coming are 18350 mods. I also just started using genesis style atomizers. My question is, say I wrap a 2ohm coil and use it on my mechanical mod, what voltage will my mod be producing?

Will it be say 4.1 - 4.2v on a fresh charged battery, and if so, won't this burn my juice if my ohms are say 1.5 or below, etc? This has me a bit confused.

Right now I use my genesis style atomizer on my Provari, so I can check the ohms and set the voltage accordingly, but the whole mechanical mod thing has me confused with ohms and the voltage output, how would a 1.0ohm coil not burn my juice if the battery is pumping out 4.2 volts?

Any help is really appreciated, I know this is a noob question but I really want to understand how this works.

-------------Cliff Notes Version-----------

Mechs produce 4.2 fully charged... and 3.7 after that... when they drop below 3.7 you'll notice it and swap out batteries.

As for burning juice below 1.5 ohms... Watts is not absolute and truthfully is not even an indication of the heat produced...
1.5 ohms @ 5.0 Volts is 16.67 Watts - would likely burn juice.
0.8 ohms @ 3.7 Volts is 17.11 Watts - doesn't burn juice.

I've seen people running as low as 0.4 ohms without burning juice and heard of people going lower... but there are MANY factors involved... coil length, wrap spacing, wick efficiency, wire thickness etc. I personally am hesitant to go below 0.8, but it has nothing to do with burning juice and more to do with a healthy fear of battery failure.

I'm currently vaping a 1.0 Ohm coil...
that's 13.69 Watts at 3.7
and 17.64 Watts with a fresh battery
It only burns of there's a wicking issue.

my suggestions:

1. If using a mechanical...you're not even seeing what it can do until you get to 1 ohm or below.

2. READ.... Read and read some more.... the info is all here... take the time to read it and understand it.

3. Don't be afraid to experiment... but DO know the risks with SLR(Super low resistance)

Last edited:

Nitrobex

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Martinsburg WV
Ok... 4.2 is what it is at full charge with no load... Everything has an inherint loss to it... Only way to figure that out is wrap up a coil put it on your device touch neg and positive posts, and hit the fire button, watch the meter and you will see what your actual voltage under load is...

Once you do that you then apply oms law to it.

An example I had a .7 ohm coil... Battery was 4.19v, under load it was 3.87v....
3.87*3.87/.7=21.40 watts...

Lets say this was at a 1.5 ohm and fired the same under load...
3.87*3.87/1.5=9.98 watts...

Now on a genesis there isnt anything to "burn" (Unless you are getting a hot spot) so the watts does not translate well to something like a cartomizer or a clearo...

Hope this helps.

alpiyano

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2013
Malaysia
i'm doing dual coil, double kanthal ribbon and reads 0.5 ohms. once i did dual coil, triple twisted kanthal wire, gets me 0.3ohms. Using my Titan mech mod and Pride RA dripper...all I can say is you can hire me for a fog machine haha. taste is excellent, first few miliseconds of inhaling I can taste the juice hitting me.

But I can't do that for my whole day vape, gets too hot and use lots of liquid not to mention batteries. Dry fire my 0.3ohms coil, it caught on fire! hehehh. And 24mg nic lung inhale...nuff said! For most of the time using my genesis tank @ 0.8ohms, just nice for me.

So there you go, with a mech mod, low'ish' ohms should not be a problem but like I said, get hots and eats up juice and batteries faster. Never taste burnt juice (unless hidden hotspots) but i dont recommend going more than 6/7 seconds inhale on mech mod with say..0.3 ohms. If your wick is not wicking fast enough, you might get the burnt taste.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
It has everything to do with the gauge of wire you use.....vaping at 15 watts with 32g wire will most likely burn your juice, while vaping at 20 watts with 28g will not. Vaping at 25-30 watts with 26g wire won't burn your juice either. All watts aren't created equal. For example, 32g wire will get a lot hotter than 28g wire at 15 watts. You can't compare ohms and watts unless you keep the gauge of the wire constant.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I'm currently vaping a 1.0 Ohm coil...
that's 13.69 Watts at 3.7
and 17.64 Watts with a fresh battery
It only burns of there's a wicking issue.

Unless you have a perfect set up...you will not be able to achieve 17 watts ith a 1 ohm coil. You have to test your voltage drop under load to really know what your vaping at. High end set ups will get a 0.2v drop with a 1ohm coil....so they would get 16 watts with a fresh battery. Most people get .5 V drop and are vaping at 13.7 watts with a 1 ohm coil with a fresh battery.

Last edited:

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Unless you have a perfect set up...you will not be able to achieve 17 watts ith a 1 ohm coil. You have to test your voltage drop under load to really know what your vaping at. High end set ups will get a 0.2v drop with a 1ohm coil....so they would get 16 watts with a fresh battery. Most people get .5 V drop and are vaping at 13.7 watts with a 1 ohm coil with a fresh battery.

you clearly missed this part of my post:

-------------Cliff Notes Version-----------

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
you clearly missed this part of my post:

Well in you cliff notes version you also said:

As for burning juice below 1.5 ohms... Watts is not absolute and truthfully is not even an indication of the heat produced...
1.5 ohms @ 5.0 Volts is 16.67 Watts - would likely burn juice.
0.8 ohms @ 3.7 Volts is 17.11 Watts - doesn't burn juice.

which doesn't make any sense what so ever... if the above example is both 32g wire you will burn your juice regardless. You want to explain what you mean exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread