Status
Not open for further replies.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
This may be a dumb question but I've never really understood what noalox is for. I have a Reo grand coming and I see videos where people put a dab on the positive firing pin. I've always heard the provari people say put it on the bottom cap threads. I have a Roller... with a fresh batt and a 1.4 load, I'm getting a .45 voltage drop using a madvapes inline voltmeter. I don't know if this is good or normal or bad. I just cleaned it... when I say cleaned it, I mean I washed it and put it back together.

My question.. would noalox help with the voltage drop? Is it for the threads or for conductivity? Do I even need it? Do I smear a bit on the threads or do I wipe some on the positive connection? I'm using the same, regular spring that the roller was shipped with. I've always kept some smeared on the bottom cap threads on my provaris... so I need to do the same with the roller?

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
in the roller you have to clean the contacts and pin inside the head as well.not sure if you did that too.

the noalox is for lubing the threads, making sure they dont get oxidation buildup in them, and improve electrical conductivity by stopping the oxidiation, it has zinc in it to improve the electric flow from surface to surface.

i wouldnt put it on the pins they are silver coated and should just be wiped with alcohol. maybe put a little on the spring where it touched the endcap maybe. when i still used the brass sring i would gently touch the top of it with some Emory cloth to kinda polish or expose some fresh brass.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
in the roller you have to clean the contacts and pin inside the head as well.not sure if you did that too.

Yes, I took apart the switch... that tiny ball has bounced around my computer room several times and each time I have managed to find it! Once I didn't vacuum for a week, each day crawling around on the floor with a flash light until I found it LOL (even though I have spares)
Thanks... I'll continue to lube my threads with it.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Yes, I took apart the switch... that tiny ball has bounced around my computer room several times and each time I have managed to find it! Once I didn't vacuum for a week, each day crawling around on the floor with a flash light until I found it LOL (even though I have spares)
Thanks... I'll continue to lube my threads with it.

LOL...I take mine apart with it in a zip lock bag, so I don't have to go crawling around looking for that little ball and spring.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
LOL...I take mine apart with it in a zip lock bag, so I don't have to go crawling around looking for that little ball and spring.

Yea... I did that this last time while taking it apart.. My problem is that sometimes it goes flying when I'm trying to get it back together :blink:

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I refuse to put noalax on anything (never have in a year of vaping, and have never had bad threads). If your mod needs a lube to keep the threads in good shape, then either the threads were poorly cut, or poorly designed as to tolerances. Unless we're talking fasteners (nuts and bolts) seeing a lot of environmental changes, you shouldn't need to treat threads, period.

jRedBeerd

Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
As an electrician and new vaper I have to admit to finding it odd that some folks use noalox on their gear. The idea behind the compound is that it prevents the oxidation of aluminum. Aluminum oxide is combustible. However, its usefulness is in scenarios where the aluminum will remain untouched for YEARS. The constant mechanical motion of using the threads themselves will deter almost all oxidation.
Not to mention a quick cleaning of your mod is WAY easier than say fiddling with the feeders behind your meter base.

As another poster said, for conductivity there are much better products like silver compound.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I always use Vaseline on mechanical threads and moving parts.
I did an experiment w/ GB ox-gard (similar to noalox).
I have one china omega mod that I had to mod w/ solder blob on too short mechanical switch.
I had to clean oxidation off solder blob contact daily.
I started putting a dab of ox-gard on batt pos post (that touches solder blob) each time I change batts.
It's been several days and my ox-garded solder blob switch is still oxidation free.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I always use Vaseline on mechanical threads and moving parts.
I did an experiment w/ GB ox-gard (similar to noalox).
I have one china omega mod that I had to mod w/ solder blob on too short mechanical switch.
I had to clean oxidation off solder blob contact daily.
I started putting a dab of ox-gard on batt pos post (that touches solder blob) each time I change batts.
It's been several days and my ox-garded solder blob switch is still oxidation free.

So Ox-Gard is the lesser of the two evils in your opinion? Because unless you change batteries less than once a day, that sounds like about the same amount of hassle to me...

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
So Ox-Gard is the lesser of the two evils in your opinion? Because unless you change batteries less than once a day, that sounds like about the same amount of hassle to me...

I don't recommend a china mod that requires a solder blob to function. My other mods don't have any oxidation issue, so they get dry clean batts.

It only takes a second to wipe off wipe on about the size of 1/4th a grain of rice. But I don't really like having the tube of ox-gard on my desk. I did it more out of curiosity, it happened to work in this particular case. For threads and moving parts i's still Vaseline or dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread