Mechs, Me or Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I just ordered a SMPL in copper, price was just too good. I've had countless mechs, some still in my possesion, some long gone. I hadn't bought any in awhile but just wanted something new.
I looked local, online state side and overseas. There really wasn't anything that jumped out at me. I will say there seems to be a small resurgence in mechs but no where to the point they were. Looking through FT there was more discontinued then new offerings.
It was kind of sad to see models I used to dream about no longer offered. I am an 18650 tube die hard and am just sad to see the lack of anything interesting. I know they're just tubes and only so much can be done, have they reached a pinnacle of designs or is it lack of popularity?
Only reason I decided on the SMPL, is my 4nine clone has about had it, the mags are about dead and wanting something that doesn't need a magnet stuck to the battery. I guess I'm getting/wanting simple as I age, lol.
It's just like watching vape shops fade out and comps. disappear. Has the VW/Temp mods killed the sport part of vaping?, in my area it seems to be dying out. I'm just starting to feel like a dinosaur, this year has seemed to be and end to a lot a lot of staple companies.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I just ordered a SMPL in copper, price was just too good. I've had countless mechs, some still in my possesion, some long gone. I hadn't bought any in awhile but just wanted something new.
I looked local, online state side and overseas. There really wasn't anything that jumped out at me. I will say there seems to be a small resurgence in mechs but no where to the point they were. Looking through FT there was more discontinued then new offerings.
It was kind of sad to see models I used to dream about no longer offered. I am an 18650 tube die hard and am just sad to see the lack of anything interesting. I know they're just tubes and only so much can be done, have they reached a pinnacle of designs or is it lack of popularity?
Only reason I decided on the SMPL, is my 4nine clone has about had it, the mags are about dead and wanting something that doesn't need a magnet stuck to the battery. I guess I'm getting/wanting simple as I age, lol.
It's just like watching vape shops fade out and comps. disappear. Has the VW/Temp mods killed the sport part of vaping?, in my area it seems to be dying out. I'm just starting to feel like a dinosaur, this year has seemed to be and end to a lot a lot of staple companies.

there still a few of us mechies around, but not much. there's a decent amount of new mechs coming out, but to my disappointment, most of them seem to be greater than 22mm.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
It’s to be expected. Mech mods are viewed here as dangerous. Anyone announcing they’ve bought one generally receives a series of dire warnings. It’s overblown imho. There are a lot of new mechs coming out but they are generally squonk mods.

I miss the days of people talking about how you'll blow yourself up with a cherry bomber. lol.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
And I love it cuz I don’t use 22mm rda anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See that's what kills me cause I still use and love 22. Did decide to go ahead and buy one of those $2 squid type drippers and another Tobh off FT before they're done for. They'll go good with the antman 24, that I'm gonna put on a 22mm mod to hell with looks, lol and a Sapor that I finally broke down and bought since they're down to $12 shipped.

I never bought one before cause, wasn't going to spend over $20 on one, I think the Rabbit helped push the price out on it. I know I'm a cheap SOB, before someone busts me on it, lol. I just refuse to spend big money on an RDA anymore, after dropping over $100 on a Twisted Messes and a Fog Zombie (neither are bad but neither hands down spank $20 RDA's either). I have found very few things that are worth the price, just too much hype.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I miss the days of people talking about how you'll blow yourself up with a cherry bomber. lol.

Or the dual series batt Noisy Crickets (I have 2 of them, but I started mine with safety kits installed). In this turn key helter skelter world the safety issues with mods are lazy people more than the mods.

My mech and regulated tube mod days all but ended around 3.5 years ago, but I also have ahellofalot of 'box' mechs. I prefer mechs over regulated, but do have a lot of regulated mods too. The last 3-4 months of my tube mech days I was buying and using VapourArt gear from Greece. Have 11 of their tube mods - GP PAPS X's, TiX, V3's, a 2.1 and a Piccolo... 4 Herons, 2 Spheroids, SnP, a couple of custom hybred Senio Drippers for them, many extra tubes and endless spare parts and accessories for them. Includes the most expensive tube mech I ever bought, the very limited issue of the TiX (titanium). It has a very low serial number, was around $560 with all the included accessories (its still brand new and unused). The GP's were the nicest mech tubes I ever used.

Old pic of 7 of them... SS, AluBronze and Titanium, the V3's/2.1 are 22mm, the X's/TiX are 23mm.
7-11.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Has the VW/Temp mods killed the sport part of vaping?, in my area it seems to be dying out. I'm just starting to feel like a dinosaur, this year has seemed to be and end to a lot a lot of staple companies.
I would have to agree with you, up to a point. I don't really follow the high end mech market, but I do sense the end to an era for high quality, beautiful mechanicals.

It's much easier and simpler to achieve a "perfect vape" using a high wattage regulated mod. You can fiddle with the power level on the fly. To change your vape with a mech, you have to make a new coil. A serious hobbiest doesn't mind that, but the typical vaper just wants to vape and not be bothered making a new coil.

At one time I used to rebuild for RBA's exclusively; that's where using a mech really shines. I don't do that anymore. I've become lazy and prefer the convenience of a clearomizer with drop-in coils. I just want to vape and not be bothered with the whole idea of rebuilding. I'm not alone with this idea; Zen from House of Hybrids was a master coil builder and he is using a clearomizer exclusively now for the same reasons as me.

I used to use both a mech and a regulated mod. For the past year, I've retired my mechs and using a regulated mod exclusively. I like being able to change my vape on the fly; I like 30 watts early in the day and 40 watts later in the day; couldn't really do that with a mech. I like being able to see my coil's current resistance and the battery level whenever I press the fire button; can't do that with a mech. And there's always that issue about safety; I had a battery explode in a mech years ago and the issue of safety is always in the back of my mind. I feel much safer using a regulated.

I will agree that some of the old mech models were absolutely beautiful. Pieces of art, really. Most of the manufacturers of those models are no longer producing them, probably because to make a quality mech mod and add artful touches (polishing, engraving) made them too expensive to produce for the average consumer. Most went out of business. The average consumer is not willing to pay $200 or more for a quality mech.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I would have to agree with you, up to a point. I don't really follow the high end mech market, but I do sense the end to an era for high quality, beautiful mechanicals.

It's much easier and simpler to achieve a "perfect vape" using a high wattage regulated mod. You can fiddle with the power level on the fly. To change your vape with a mech, you have to make a new coil. A serious hobbiest doesn't mind that, but the typical vaper just wants to vape and not be bothered making a new coil.

At one time I used to rebuild for RBA's exclusively; that's where using a mech really shines. I don't do that anymore. I've become lazy and prefer the convenience of a clearomizer with drop-in coils. I just want to vape and not be bothered with the whole idea of rebuilding. I'm not alone with this idea; Zen from House of Hybrids was a master coil builder and he is using a clearomizer exclusively now for the same reasons as me.

I used to use both a mech and a regulated mod. For the past year, I've retired my mechs and using a regulated mod exclusively. I like being able to change my vape on the fly; I like 30 watts early in the day and 40 watts later in the day; couldn't really do that with a mech. I like being able to see my coil's current resistance and the battery level whenever I press the fire button; can't do that with a mech. And there's always that issue about safety; I had a battery explode in a mech years ago and the issue of safety is always in the back of my mind. I feel much safer using a regulated.

I will agree that some of the old mech models were absolutely beautiful. Pieces of art, really. Most of the manufacturers of those models are no longer producing them, probably because to make a quality mech mod and add artful touches (polishing, engraving) made them too expensive to produce for the average consumer. Most went out of business. The average consumer is not willing to pay $200 or more for a quality mech.

I'm about the same as you, if I use a tank (Atlantis V2) it's 30-40w in the morning and 40-45w as the day rolls on. I still use a mech for RBA's, some flavors to me are just better with a mech. You can't achieve that cold to hot ramp up with a VW, well I guess you can it just does it differently. I just seem to taste more complexity with a mech than a VW, doesn't make one better or worse, just one I prefer over the other.

I'm sure a lot of my feeling is due to being in that group, that had to use mechs, we had no option really. I've had one mech run away on me, my fault won't deny it and still have that "jumpiness" (years later) when I hit the button on a new build or RDA (even when everything has been triple checked, lol).

EDIT: I'm a guitar guy as well, so I like the older tech, as I'm a tube amp guy with analog pedals, lol.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
My absolute favorite mech of all time is a stainless steel 18650 calvert clone from fasttech. Easiest, smoothest most consistent button throw I've ever experienced. It is also the simplest design I've seen in a mech button. Literally just a solid piece of metal that is held to the tube with magnets. No threading, no springs. You can pull it of the mech since there is nothing holding it on but the magnets. The copper contact is screwed into the bottom of the tube and also adjusts for battery size. The button has a well in the center that the contact touches when you slide it to the side to fire it. The magnets force the button back to center when you let go and provide a nice resistance when you fire it.

There are two prongs that stick out from the bottom of the tube that act as a locking mechanism. Just pull the button off and put it back on at a 45 degree rotation and the prongs fit into two small holes in the button. Super simple but effective safety feature.

Other specs: 22 mm, threaded hybrid 510 connector, delrin housing for the contact screw at the bottom of the tube.

I've been using this with an M Atty clone and it is the best mech tube experience I've had yet. My authentic setups are seeing little to no use since I got it, and I've ordered several more to keep as backups, as I'm sure they will stop producing this mod at some point. Can't find an authentic anywhere, but if I ever do I will buy it.

$16.39 Calvert Styled 18650 Mechanical Mod - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

d1a978900797c1997a0554d17b710795.jpg

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
My absolute favorite mech of all time is a stainless steel 18650 calvert clone from fasttech. Easiest, smoothest most consistent button throw I've ever experienced. It is also the simplest design I've seen in a mech button. Literally just a solid piece of metal that is held to the tube with magnets. No threading, no springs. You can pull it of the mech since there is nothing holding it on but the magnets. The copper contact is screwed into the bottom of the tube and also adjusts for battery size. The button has a well in the center that the contact touches when you slide it to the side to fire it. The magnets force the button back to center when you let go and provide a nice resistance when you fire it.

There are two prongs that stick out from the bottom of the tube that act as a locking mechanism. Just pull the button off and put it back on at a 45 degree rotation and the prongs fit into two small holes in the button. Super simple but effective safety feature.

Other specs: 22 mm, threaded hybrid 510 connector, delrin housing for the contact screw at the bottom of the tube.

I've been using this with an M Atty clone and it is the best mech tube experience I've had yet. My authentic setups are seeing little to no use since I got it, and I've ordered several more to keep as backups, as I'm sure they will stop producing this mod at some point. Can't find an authentic anywhere, but if I ever do I will buy it.

$16.39 Calvert Styled 18650 Mechanical Mod - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

d1a978900797c1997a0554d17b710795.jpg

I like it...minus the lack of 510. my main atties don't have long enough pins to use on "hybrids". but in the cart it goes. always need more 22mm tubes, they're getting harder to find. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread