Mechs, Me or Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I like it...minus the lack of 510. my main atties don't have long enough pins to use on "hybrids". but in the cart it goes. always need more 22mm tubes, they're getting harder to find. lol

Lol! As soon as I had one in hand I added a bunch more to the cart :) I think I have 4 of the 18650 now and 2 of the 18350s for stealth tank vaping. Or maybe it is 5 of the 18650s... I might have another on a boat headed my way. Will know in a week or two I guess :D

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
It's much easier and simpler to achieve a "perfect vape" using a high wattage regulated mod. You can fiddle with the power level on the fly. To change your vape with a mech, you have to make a new coil. A serious hobbiest doesn't mind that, but the typical vaper just wants to vape and not be bothered making a new coil.

At one time I used to rebuild for RBA's exclusively; that's where using a mech really shines. I don't do that anymore. I've become lazy and prefer the convenience of a clearomizer with drop-in coils. I just want to vape and not be bothered with the whole idea of rebuilding. I'm not alone with this idea; Zen from House of Hybrids was a master coil builder and he is using a clearomizer exclusively now for the same reasons as me.

I used to use both a mech and a regulated mod. For the past year, I've retired my mechs and using a regulated mod exclusively. I like being able to change my vape on the fly; I like 30 watts early in the day and 40 watts later in the day; couldn't really do that with a mech. I like being able to see my coil's current resistance and the battery level whenever I press the fire button; can't do that with a mech. And there's always that issue about safety; I had a battery explode in a mech years ago and the issue of safety is always in the back of my mind. I feel much safer using a regulated.

I went pretty much the same route heh. I started with regulated mods (anybody remember the Evod and the good old MVP haha), but a couple years ago got a couple Stingray X clones. I had ditched the Kayfun tanks and was using a Derringer RDA all the time, and the size and convenience of the setup was awesome. I retired them early last year though after having a scare in the warehouse at work. Somehow, the firing button unlocked in my pocket. I didn't notice until all of a sudden I felt my leg burning BADLY. There was no place safe to throw it, so I unscrewed the battery cap to make it stop, and burnt the crap out of my hands doing it. I was pretty careful with my mechs, but just the thought of an accident like that being able to happen to anyone, and I put it back in the drawer and pulled out my old Sigelei Mini again. Now that I have DNA devices, the mechs are just being kept strictly for emergency backups.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I don't limit myself to any one type of device. I have too much good gear to give up on any of it. I love using all of my gear from tiny little 14500 mechs and tanks up to dna squonkers and monster 30 mm tanks on a 26650 dna mod.

I still love the feel of a good mech switch as part of my vape. The only thing that has changed for me over time is that my dripper setups for on the go have become squonkers - mech or regulated, just whatever I'm in the mood for.

I save dripping for at home now as I prefer the convenience of a squonker or occasional tank when I'm not at home. But at home I love to relax with a few different setups on hand and a good tube and dripper are always close by. It is just a different experience that I've always enjoyed and probably always will.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
My last 2 mechanical mods. they dont get much use but I love them. I had quite a few of them back when they were the only high power option. Kind of miss that era when it was more of a hobby. The high maintenance of them ended with me smoking again when I got too busy to devote the time to them. So I prefer the convenience of the new high power devices and drop in coils, and without them I probably wouldn't have come back to e cigs.

Attachments

• 20180121_185519.jpg
    20180121_185519.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Still lovingly mechs. Love the notion that if my gear breaks down I can troubleshoot and repair it on the fly. I entertain brief flirtations with regulated mods, but always come back to mechs. Vaping is as much about building and DIY for me as it is about inhaling vapor. A guy needs hobbies :D

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I started out with regulated and factory coils, only reason why I looked into rebuilding and Mech's was due to the Deeming Reg's. Once I did I'm pretty much exclusively Mechs and rebuilding now. Every now and again I'll slum it with my DNA200 Mod, that will last maybe a couple of hours at most. For me Mech's provide the smoothest and most satisfying Vape that regulated cannot fulfill. I'm more into high end Mech's now and in the process of rotating the lesser grade and clones out of my collection.

Will I go back to Regulated Mod's? I'm sure not going to say never but it's very highly unlikely. Bottom line though is this, what ever works for you for that is the key. We're here to stay off the Stinkies and the wonderful thing about Vaping is it's versatility, there's no one size fits all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread