Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
#400 is the mesh ive been using for like 8 years. LOL. No reason to overpay for it. It's been the most consistent mesh for my yestester-purposes until the release of the VWM atties which all say that #300 or 200sf (super-fine) mesh work best in.

Curious, what were you using mesh in 8 years ago?

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Curious, what were you using mesh in 8 years ago?

a full eight years might've been a stretch, but Van's The Line, Mini/Maxi G, Scubagen and several others that were created in batches of like 10 after mesh became a 'thing,' mostly by friends I'd developed in the vaping community.

The three i mentioned above dont get as far back as I'd like. But what some of these things were called? Man, I just can't recall. I'm gonna do some digging and contact some ancient vape buddies and see if I cant get some more detailed answers for you.

edit: 8 years was a stretch, i apologize. I've been vaping for 8, but it certainly *feels* as though ive been using mesh that whole time. raidy and kendar were posting about the genesis of the Genisis in 2009/2010, so forgive the inaccuracy. It was, however, WAY back there - perhaps August or October of 2010? - that it began for me. We'll amend that '8' to a '5.5-6'.

Looking back on why I would have, in shorthand, assumed I'd been vaping mesh for 8 years, really makes me reflect on the hardcore and lightspeed evolution the vape industry has undergone since 2006-2007. And to think that will all be halted, abruptly and entirely, in 4 days.... In the US, at least.

Last edited:

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Yes but it was much more of a hypothetical back then. As I said, i believe the user's name was kendar and he had discovered some sort of basic mesh material for some kind of model train application and made the suggestion that it could work as a wicking agent for an atomizer. raidy is credited with the official 'discovery' of the 'Genisis' mesh atomizer as we all know and love it today.

bgmat58

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2013
Austin, TX
I run a 316l SS vertical coil wicked with a solid mesh roll in my Veritas on a VF Stout. Works fantastic with TC, easily my best TC experience to date.

View attachment 548794

Since the coil is SS and wrapped for the heat flux I like, works great on a mech or regulated mod as well. I put a new bottom 510 insulator on the Veritas so the positive 510 protrudes now. I can use this atty on practically any APV.

SS mesh it a Veritas?! Never heard of that but I am intrigued. Care to share your build details?!

Reactions: Vaya

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
SS mesh it a Veritas?! Never heard of that but I am intrigued. Care to share your build details?!

It is 400 grade SS mesh, cut to length and rolled to a 2.5mm outer diameter. The coil is 316L stainless steel, 26 guage, 2.5mm inner diameter, usually around .3 to .4 resistance.
I compression wind my coil around a separate steel mandrel, then pull the coil to length, and recompress it (on the coil mandrel) to evenly space the coils. I install and dry fire the coil in the atty to ensure the coil is evenly oxidized, then install a prepared wick.
Wick assembly/preparation
Wash your hands! Use a good dish soap to degrease them.
I cut my sheet of mesh half a centimeter or so longer than I intend it to be, and usually a bit wider than I need, since I will cut everything to size at the end. I use a small butane torch to flame the sheet of mesh, getting it to dull orange over the entire surface and letting it cool slowly to room temperature; this burns off machine oil as well as anneals the mesh for easier rolling. I have a straightened 18g kanthal wire I use to start the roll, but once I get the curve in, I roll it as tightly as possible with the wire removed. Once my roll is formed, I grab it on the end with needlenose pliers and flame it to a bright orange using my torch. After it has cooled, I measure the outer diameter and cut it to size using a set of sharp heavy duty scissors, making one cut along a crease I have folded towards the roll, this way any stray fibers can get stuck back into the wick. I smooth the cut back down + into the wick. I cut it at both ends to get desired length, then saturate the wick with juice, and set it on fire and let the juice flame off and leave a little carbon.
Since the outer diameter of the wick matches the inner of the coil, it is easy to install the wick, though the process is simpler if your coil is wound the opposite direction that your wick is rolled, simply because you can screw the wick in without disrupting its loose edge.

From here I perform a few dry burns at low wattage to make sure there isnt any arcing or bad hotspots or hot legs, and make sure it heats evenly from the center out, then juice it up and go.

I run TC, but have the voltage set to 4 volts for preheat, so it hits about the same mounted on a mech, a little harder since there is no voltage throttling from TC, but the veritas has plenty of airflow for the heat flux of the build.
It isn't quite a genny, but all the build philosophy still applies; a vertical ss mesh wick running down into a juice well to transport juice to the coil. While genisis style atomizers intrigue me, I never found one with enough stock airflow to suit my tastes.

Reactions: Taff Evans

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sorry wrong thread, my bad

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1496768275097.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1496768275097.jpg