Minnesota Governor signs law banning sale of e-cigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is more to this than just banning sales to minors; MN is redefining e-cigs as a tobacco product to allow higher taxation and along with other tobacco products place them under the jurisdiction of the FDA. I live in MN and have enjoyed the relatively minimal taxes on e-cigs but i guess that party is over. Everyone should be concerned about this.

Effective August 1, 2010, these changes apply existing state tobacco taxes and regulations to new smokeless tobacco products, which attract young customers because they are low-cost, come in candy flavors and sometimes resemble mints and breath strips. Specifically, the Tobacco Modernization and Compliance Act of 2010:

* Expands the definition of tobacco products to include any product that contains tobacco and is intended for human consumption
* Requires all tobacco products to be sold behind the counter so they are not easily accessible to youth
* Prevents the sale of new tobacco products and e-cigarettes to youth

http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/special/tobacco/other_supporting_content/cig_law_changes.shtml

Health impact fee
Starting Aug. 1, 2005, there will be a health impact fee on cigarettes and other tobacco products. The fee is $0.75 per pack of cigarettes and 35 percent of the wholesale sales price of other tobacco products.

This is a slight of hand by the MN government to collect 35% of the purchase price in taxes.

How long can i store unflavored high strength liquid? time to stockpile before the August law kicks.

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
There is more to this than just banning sales to minors; MN is redefining e-cigs as a tobacco product to allow higher taxation and along with other tobacco products place them under the jurisdiction of the FDA. I live in MN and have enjoyed the relatively minimal taxes on e-cigs but i guess that party is over. Everyone should be concerned about this.

Effective August 1, 2010, these changes apply existing state tobacco taxes and regulations to new smokeless tobacco products, which attract young customers because they are low-cost, come in candy flavors and sometimes resemble mints and breath strips. Specifically, the Tobacco Modernization and Compliance Act of 2010:

* Expands the definition of tobacco products to include any product that contains tobacco and is intended for human consumption

Since E-cigs do NOT contain tobacco, that part would not apply to them.

I agree leaford, but they are redefining what a tobacco product is. Its any nicotine containing product that is not a defined as a smoking cessation device (of which e-cig's are not) as a tobacco product. This is regardless of if it contains tobacco or not. That is the part that concerns me.

The text of the bill can be found at
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S3055.0.html&session=ls86

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread