Mixing Question - Day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
Just got me shipment today and ready to start mixing. Originally I was thinking I would mix separate components of my Nic base, my PG, my VG, and my flavors for every batch. Thinking it through this seems dumb and time consuming. Shouldn't I just make a larger batch of my target nic/PG/VG formula and use that as a base to mix flavors with? I'm not saying to mix all three big (500ml) bottles together from the get go, but maybe a medium size, say 60ml. I understand I may want to change up my ratios at some point but am I making a mistake here by going this route? Don't want to start off on the wrong path. pre-thx for help.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
One great piece of advice is to mix your flavors in just VG/PG in a small batch say 5mls until you figure out the flavor percentage you like then make a real batch. Better to wast flavorings and VG/PG than expensive nic.

ah, good point. didn't think of that. can I expect flavor to be the same w/o the nic added?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
mick I always make a base bottle. I like to vape 80pg/20vg at 12mg/ml. All my flavors are pg and I mix light (around 8-10%) so my base mix is 75pg/25vg 14mg/ml. I make about 250mls at a time but I have been doing this for a while and know I will not be changing anything. By mixing a base bottle you limit the time you are playing with 100mg/ml nic and the chances of spilling it. It also makes mixing easier. Pull off what you need and throw in some flavors. Since you are just staring out mix a base of 30mls or so. Play around with 3ml batches when trying new recipes. Take notes and get a good calculator (I like Breaktru's ejuice me up eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator ) Once you dial in a recipe you like then make larger batches. Much less painful to dump 3mls vs 15 or 30. Happy DIY and vapes to you.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
it all depends on the strength of my Nic...say if its 100mg then i would mix it down to 50% for safety..if that concerns you

as for mixing it all down to desired strength, i personally wouldnt...
if your target rate is 12mg for example...if you have a flavor that takes 20% of your mixture... 12X20%=2.4...after mixing that one flavor you would end up with 9.6mg nic level...

almost every flavor is mixed at a different ratio..and that doesnt even bring into account if you want to add sweetener, menthol etc etc

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
so my base mix is 75pg/25vg 14mg/ml. I make about 250mls at a time but I have been doing this for a while and know I will not be changing anything.

thanks for the confirmation Ski, didn't think about rounding up my nic for the base liquid to accommodate adding flavors. I like to vape at 16mg so I should probably make my base at 17mg or 18mg I guess, right?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
thanks for the confirmation Ski, didn't think about rounding up my nic for the base liquid to accommodate adding flavors. I like to vape at 16mg so I should probably make my base at 17mg or 18mg I guess, right?

Let's say you made a base at 18. You make a 5ml bottle with 10% flavor (4.5 base .5 flavor) nic level is 16.2mg/ml. If you bump flavor to 20% (4mls base 1ml flavor) then result is 14.4 mg/ml. Hope that helps

how confusing it all seems

It can seem that way when you're first starting. I'd suggest getting something like the eJuice Me Up calculator, even if you're not getting into DIY, and play around with the numbers. It will illustrate how the different components of juice affect each other and the outcome, and it will start to make more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread