• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Mod batteries in Korea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkpoet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
South Korea
Am I too late to contribute to this...?

As usual, online sellers in Korea are cheaper than brick and mortar stores. I haven't ordered anything from numerouno yet but they sell some battery mods and replacement batteries... at fairly reasonable prices. And if there's a problem, it'll be a lot easier to return... er, maybe... heh. Language problems...

Of course, the usual catch with online shopping in Korea... you can't register directly because waygookin ID numbers are not recognized by the system. In previous incidents of this, I've called them up and asked them to put me in their system so I could login using my own info... Often though, I just snag my girlfriend's ID and name and register that way.

Oh, and I imagine anything you find online in Korea will either be imitation or marked-up. Damn those exclusive contracts with factories in China. I'm wondering when the smaller stores will finally get pushed out by the official stores... I've already noticed that they only keep older models and imitation in stock.

Last edited:

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
Am I too late to contribute to this...?

As usual, online sellers in Korea are cheaper than brick and mortar stores. I haven't ordered anything from numerouno yet but they sell some battery mods and replacement batteries... at fairly reasonable prices. And if there's a problem, it'll be a lot easier to return... er, maybe... heh. Language problems...

Of course, the usual catch with online shopping in Korea... you can't register directly because waygookin ID numbers are not recognized by the system. In previous incidents of this, I've called them up and asked them to put me in their system so I could login using my own info... Often though, I just snag my girlfriend's ID and name and register that way.

Oh, and I imagine anything you find online in Korea will either be imitation or marked-up. Damn those exclusive contracts with factories in China. I'm wondering when the smaller stores will finally get pushed out by the official stores... I've already noticed that they only keep older models and imitation in stock.

You can register yourself on Korean sites, I do it all the time. You have to put your name in exactly as it is on your ID without spaces and in all caps.

ie: LASTFIRSTMIDDLE

I got that from SK after yelling at them about not being able to use the T-mobile store to get the app to make my phone a subway card. They spoke with some government office and relayed that to me, and it's worked on every site so far (strangely, when my Korean wife couldn't register on a site I was able to, heh).

darkpoet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
South Korea
Lol. I've lived in Korea 8 years now. I've got more memberships on Korean sites than I can keep track of... and no, it doesn't always work so easy. Usually my name is all caps with no spaces, but sometimes I have to add the spaces... sometimes I have to add capitals and lowercase with or without spaces... But there's still a huge number of sites that block foreigners from joining simply by not allowing enough space to type our names (that must annoy Koreans who have 4-5 character names) and sometimes it simply spouts an error. There are even a few sites that simply block foreigner ID numbers (the first of the 7 digits after your birthday gives you away as a foreigner... all foreigners have a 5 (female) or 6 (male), I think). And more than once I have seen a warning that says to please type my name using hangul... lol.

Sorry for the rant but please... go try and register at that site and then when you're successful, you can tell me I'm wrong.

darkpoet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
South Korea
Yup, smaller sites suck for us Waygookins... now and then bigger sites, too. I'm told this will pass when the government finally repeals it's "Real ID" law... it's in the pipeline but it might be a year before the law finally goes through. Then, ID numbers will no longer be required... how long it takes web admins to get the changes in their system... god knows. I still can't believe how stuck Korea is on Internet Explorer and Windows XP. This country has the highest penetration of broadband Internet in the world...

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
The reason they are still stuck in XP and IE6 land is... the Korean government. Instead of waiting and taking 128bit SSL like everyone else, back in 98 Korea decided to make their own (SEED). It only runs through ActiveX, and the security enhancements MS added in IE7 and Vista break that encryption (unless people spend lots of time and money to fix it, which by now most should have done). That's why us Linux users and our Mac cousins can't do internet banking, that's why when you install a banking app on your phone it installs another app (WITHOUT your permission, you know... just like malware does) to handle their non-standard encryption.

Here's a good article (back in 2007) on the issue: the cost of monoculture - Gen Kanai weblog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread