The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mod warm while charging.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by H4X0R, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. H4X0R

H4X0R Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    So I noticed my mod was warm to the touch while it was charging. It's a Tesla Two Sub Mod. Is this normal? It wasn't super hot, but very warm.

2. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Well, there is a Battery in there, storing Energy and it is surrounded by Metal which transfers heat, so ................yes...............normal :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. IMFire3605

IMFire3605 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2013
    Peoria, Arizona, US
    What type of USB power supply are you using? If it is say like an Apple Rapid charge wall wart putting out 2.1amps, yes the mod will get warmer charging than say using an Android 500mah or 1amp wall wart. It will charge faster the more current the charger adapter puts out. Rapid charge = battery will get warmer when charger, 500mah charger = battery will stay cooler during charging.

• Like Like x 1
  4. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    It's a Samsung phone charger from my old phone, 1 amp I believe, is this safe to use?

5. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't know what you mean by 'very warm', but as crxess said when charging a battery in a mod there is almost no cooling for the battery so the mod will heat up a bit. If it ever gets hot enough so you can't comfortably hold it tight in your hand for 30 seconds, that's too hot IMO.

The charger is built into your mod. What you're hooking it up to is a power supply. The mod will draw 1A when charging as per the specs and as long as your power supply (wall wart or USB port) is rated for 1A minimum you're going to be fine. If the power supply is rated for more than 1A that's even better. The mod's built in charger will only draw the amps it needs so having more available will keep the wall wart cooler which is good.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mightymen

mightymen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2012
    NYC
    Never leave a charging mod unattended.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Troll from behind

Troll from behind Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    Finlad
    Or place it on a surface that doesn't burn, like a ceramic plate.
    NEVER during my many vaping years have I had issues with USB-charging, but beign safe doesn't hurt either.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sparkky1

sparkky1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2014
    Nashville
    Have you concidered purchasing an external charger

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    anytime a physical exchange of energy occurs, heat is created :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    This mod has internal non removable Li-Po batteries, the only way to charge them is in the mod, unfortunately. I need a new mod and I been looking at others.

11. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    I had it on a wooden table, is this a bad place to charge a mod? I noticed the table underneath the mod was warm in that spot as well.

12. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Table should be okay. The mod is designed for the internal battery.
    Poor location often causes bad charging habits.
    USB port on the mods bottom, so lay it down. Best to lay it on the narrow side for maximum chimney height.(Upright is BEST)
    Standing, a mod will get warmer at the top than the bottom due to heat rise.
    Laying Flat, heat spreads evenly across the whole mod surface.

Warm is NORMAL :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Troll from behind

Troll from behind Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    Finlad
    Would rather have something non-flammable between those two just in case.

• Like Like x 2
  14. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Cool! Thanks everybody! :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. rice721

rice721 1.21 GigaWatts! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Shanghai
    i've been charging my vs dna200, lavabox dna200 and dx200 via a 2amp usb. The mods don't seem to warm up that much however the charger and usb head does get a bit hot. Not hot enough to be untouchable but hot enough to worry me so that I'm always in vision of it while its charging.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gothicmace59

Gothicmace59 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2015
    Henry County Georgia
    I have this as well....just a normal reaction to the battery charging. I have charging spot set up on top if the microwave. ..with nothing combustible by it and always check them while charging.

17. groomt

groomt Senior Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I have the same mod and mine is the same way when charging. About the same warmth that would occur from the heat of holding it in my hand for a while.

• Like Like x 2
  18. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    That perfectly describes it! Thanks for the reassurance lol I was kinda starting to wonder if that was not normal! Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.