Mod warm while charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
So I noticed my mod was warm to the touch while it was charging. It's a Tesla Two Sub Mod. Is this normal? It wasn't super hot, but very warm.

What type of USB power supply are you using? If it is say like an Apple Rapid charge wall wart putting out 2.1amps, yes the mod will get warmer charging than say using an Android 500mah or 1amp wall wart. It will charge faster the more current the charger adapter puts out. Rapid charge = battery will get warmer when charger, 500mah charger = battery will stay cooler during charging.

Reactions: H4X0R

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So I noticed my mod was warm to the touch while it was charging. It's a Tesla Two Sub Mod. Is this normal? It wasn't super hot, but very warm.

I don't know what you mean by 'very warm', but as crxess said when charging a battery in a mod there is almost no cooling for the battery so the mod will heat up a bit. If it ever gets hot enough so you can't comfortably hold it tight in your hand for 30 seconds, that's too hot IMO.

It's a Samsung phone charger from my old phone, 1 amp I believe, is this safe to use?

The charger is built into your mod. What you're hooking it up to is a power supply. The mod will draw 1A when charging as per the specs and as long as your power supply (wall wart or USB port) is rated for 1A minimum you're going to be fine. If the power supply is rated for more than 1A that's even better. The mod's built in charger will only draw the amps it needs so having more available will keep the wall wart cooler which is good.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Or place it on a surface that doesn't burn, like a ceramic plate.
NEVER during my many vaping years have I had issues with USB-charging, but beign safe doesn't hurt either.

I had it on a wooden table, is this a bad place to charge a mod? I noticed the table underneath the mod was warm in that spot as well.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Table should be okay. The mod is designed for the internal battery.
Poor location often causes bad charging habits.
USB port on the mods bottom, so lay it down. Best to lay it on the narrow side for maximum chimney height.(Upright is BEST)
Standing, a mod will get warmer at the top than the bottom due to heat rise.
Laying Flat, heat spreads evenly across the whole mod surface.

Warm is NORMAL :)

Reactions: H4X0R

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
i've been charging my vs dna200, lavabox dna200 and dx200 via a 2amp usb. The mods don't seem to warm up that much however the charger and usb head does get a bit hot. Not hot enough to be untouchable but hot enough to worry me so that I'm always in vision of it while its charging.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
I have the same mod and mine is the same way when charging. About the same warmth that would occur from the heat of holding it in my hand for a while.

That perfectly describes it! Thanks for the reassurance lol I was kinda starting to wonder if that was not normal! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread