• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

MOH bans e-cigarettes, other emerging tobacco products

Status
Not open for further replies.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
also, nicotine is not tobacco, it may be a component but science has already shown that the harm does not come from nicotine but from the burning of tobacco and the additives. also, nicotine used apart from burning tobacco is shown to have much less addictive power which is why vapers find it easier to lower the nicotine levels in their juice, some even going to zero and just enjoying vaping. they should ban coffee next, heard caffeine is addictive, can cause heart palpitations etc etc. (sarcasm intended as they just might.)
Agree :) nicotine is about as addictive as coffee.. But for the sake of their pockets and control they choose to release data beneficial to them only. Nicotine is also a separate component from tobacco, and again for the sake of their pockets they somehow manage to put them together, trying to convince the public that bcos of nicotine, cigarettes are regulated, totally masking the harms of the chemicals in the tobacco..
The strategy had worked, unfortunately.. B4 I started to know about vaping, that was all I had believed. Only after started vaping did I read up on nicotine and related tobacco harms, and realize that all this time I was under the power of government propaganda..

I am sure non vaper are much like where we were, totally unaware of the 'facts' that we are being force fed down our throats.. And I dun blame them. How often do we bother to dig up informations unrelated to what we do?

cloudysheep

Account closed on request
Oct 5, 2015
behind you
Agree :) nicotine is about as addictive as coffee.. But for the sake of their pockets and control they choose to release data beneficial to them only. Nicotine is also a separate component from tobacco, and again for the sake of their pockets they somehow manage to put them together, trying to convince the public that bcos of nicotine, cigarettes are regulated, totally masking the harms of the chemicals in the tobacco..
The strategy had worked, unfortunately.. B4 I started to know about vaping, that was all I had believed. Only after started vaping did I read up on nicotine and related tobacco harms, and realize that all this time I was under the power of government propaganda..

I am sure non vaper are much like where we were, totally unaware of the 'facts' that we are being force fed down our throats.. And I dun blame them. How often do we bother to dig up informations unrelated to what we do?
@ezjay more ammo for you hahaha

Darkangel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Gotham City
There has been a research on Nicotine not being as additive. I could not find the article containing this while I am writing this. And was also mentioned some where in this forum

When our gov decides to curb the young from picking up analog, they stop selling analog in 10s and increase the 20s per pack pricing and it kept on increasing till date

I remember, a packet of Marlboro 10s cost only $1. - $1.10 today it cost a pack of 20s at $12.30. Disappointment in the way the gov trying to curb smoking but continues raising the tax and they are enjoying their pocket full

Did they really want to curb smoking? No they just want to enjoy the revenues from analog taxes

One article, I manage to find is that the figures continue to increase but there is no reduction in smokers

Singapore -

Of late smokers became Vapers tax revenues drop and it hurting their pockets

When gov want to curb smoking by raising tax, are they successfull? No, it vaping that help to curb the smoking habit.
From a 30 sticks per day, I drop to 9 per day after vaping and within a month I stop smoking and now I am only certified true vaper. No smoking for the last 2 + years
Are you sure they have smoker in mind?

Sent from Gotham City using Tapatalk

cloudysheep

Account closed on request
Oct 5, 2015
behind you
Even if you give up vaping, please don't go back to analogs.... It's what they want..... Fight it! Stand defiant!
Even if I ever do stop vaping, I'll probably pass my gear off to someone who really wants to quit smoking... I have enough to help maybe 4-5 ppl kick the bleddy habit....

Strife- In This Defiance

Chey like Korean drama lydat....

Libertarian101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2014
everywhere
The law is still the law, we can't contest

We need to be vigilant about our vaping space. Keeping it super low profile. No showing off, vaping community need to protect each other from merciless clutches of the law

Vaping became popular for our smoker community, tobacco sales drop, tax revenue drop, potentially visit to Hosipital for analog related sickness drop. Tax revenues drop so this law protects the analog taxes which was enjoyed last couple years now that vaping threaten tax revenues that they have to banned it

Sent from Gotham City using Tapatalk
agreed, however, legal does not mean moral... this is obviously the former not the latter. but yes, stealth is the way to go.

Libertarian101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2014
everywhere
In an ideal world, this industry is much better off regulated

God knows what goes into the juices...

But then again, we will always have the rare cases of mech mods / box mods blowing up in our hands and this will be a subject of scrutiny again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the industry is an example of good self regulation as it is. As i posted before, the large improvements in quality have been a result of the market dictating it, hence look at the mods now as well as juices, all this without regulations. And the best way to regulate the market is with the wallet, if you have doubts with a product, don't buy it till they improve or go out of business. With social media of which vaping has gone hand in hand with, it is easy to see which products are good and which aren't. Many of the reputable juice manufacturers will show lab analysis of their products to show it doesn't contain this or that, all self imposed because the market is better educated due to the internet. Vote with your wallet, the bad apples will go out of business, and the industry remains vibrant, all without the need for regulations. Just think how all the additives in analogs are in there in the first place, aren't they heavily "regulated"? Just my 2 cents

Reactions: johnwmm

CAPSNOSPACE

Dec 6, 2015
I think the industry is an example of good self regulation as it is. As i posted before, the large improvements in quality have been a result of the market dictating it, hence look at the mods now as well as juices, all this without regulations. And the best way to regulate the market is with the wallet, if you have doubts with a product, don't buy it till they improve or go out of business. With social media of which vaping has gone hand in hand with, it is easy to see which products are good and which aren't. Many of the reputable juice manufacturers will show lab analysis of their products to show it doesn't contain this or that, all self imposed because the market is better educated due to the internet. Vote with your wallet, the bad apples will go out of business, and the industry remains vibrant, all without the need for regulations. Just think how all the additives in analogs are in there in the first place, aren't they heavily "regulated"? Just my 2 cents

Well of course I agree with you on the above, but lets not forget that regulation itself encompasses far more than that. Regulation would include studies, campaigns, and education to the masses on what this hobby can do to you.

Mods exploding, safety guidelines, of course many can be done with the internet these days, but there are still many mis-informed and possible lemon sets lying around. Regulation would also mean that these units are safe to use and pose no hazards to the user. Surely it is too late to "vote with your wallets" since such incidents are mostly isolated. But why leave such incidents to chance?

But of course, as you have also rightly mentioned, if the industry gets too big to ignore, every act that is lobbied will get sanctioned; hence bluring the definition of "Regulated".
In my opinion (as I'm sure as it is the most of the people here as well) it is just the tobacco companies trying to suppress this industry because it gets too big for them to handle

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
For the vaping industry, The alternate media like YouTube and open forum, and of course vapers themselves, are the best regulation there is.. Inferior products will not stand the test of time. Other forms of regulation are often excuses to restrict extort more and more money.. Into the pockets of the so call regulators..

Libertarian101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2014
everywhere
Well of course I agree with you on the above, but lets not forget that regulation itself encompasses far more than that. Regulation would include studies, campaigns, and education to the masses on what this hobby can do to you.

Mods exploding, safety guidelines, of course many can be done with the internet these days, but there are still many mis-informed and possible lemon sets lying around. Regulation would also mean that these units are safe to use and pose no hazards to the user. Surely it is too late to "vote with your wallets" since such incidents are mostly isolated. But why leave such incidents to chance?

But of course, as you have also rightly mentioned, if the industry gets too big to ignore, every act that is lobbied will get sanctioned; hence bluring the definition of "Regulated".
In my opinion (as I'm sure as it is the most of the people here as well) it is just the tobacco companies trying to suppress this industry because it gets too big for them to handle

Safety definitely should be a concern, but again, the industry has been doing it on its own for a long time with great success. You cannot regulate away all incidents, that is a statistical impossibility. The massive number of vapers out there vs the number of those incidents shows how effective self regulation has been on its own. Again, accidents will always happen, hence the greatest way to avoid this is self responsibility. Do the research, ask around, look at all the information out there and determine for yourself if the risk is worth it. if you are unsure, don't do it. If you don't have the knowledge or the skills, get a simple mod till you gain confidence.

Just look at the regulations they are trying to impose, is it just safety that they are really concerned about? Already you can see regulatory overreach at this early stage, this will never reverse itself, it will only lead to more regulatory creep until it suffocates the industry due to onerous regulatory costs and prevents the great strides it has done on its own. It will kill the small players from which the very vibrancy of the market depends on, and only the biggest companies can and will dominate the market leading to less choice for the people. As it is we are spoiled for choice because of all the players out there, which is a good thing.

A great example of self regulation is in the PBusardo interview with the owners of FlavourArt, on their own they are conducting independently run research by a University to check on ingredients etc etc, all this without anyone telling them except the market (concerns of diacetyl etc etc). They don't have to, its not regulated, but they are, because they are concerned for safety. Because of this, the wallets of the people are doing the voting, they have a large share of the market in flavorings.

Your points are well taken, I guess differing views on regulations will always exist. I'm just grateful we have a forum where ideas can be shared freely, cheers @CAPSNOSPACE !

CAPSNOSPACE

Dec 6, 2015
Safety definitely should be a concern, but again, the industry has been doing it on its own for a long time with great success. You cannot regulate away all incidents, that is a statistical impossibility. The massive number of vapers out there vs the number of those incidents shows how effective self regulation has been on its own. Again, accidents will always happen, hence the greatest way to avoid this is self responsibility. Do the research, ask around, look at all the information out there and determine for yourself if the risk is worth it. if you are unsure, don't do it. If you don't have the knowledge or the skills, get a simple mod till you gain confidence.

Just look at the regulations they are trying to impose, is it just safety that they are really concerned about? Already you can see regulatory overreach at this early stage, this will never reverse itself, it will only lead to more regulatory creep until it suffocates the industry due to onerous regulatory costs and prevents the great strides it has done on its own. It will kill the small players from which the very vibrancy of the market depends on, and only the biggest companies can and will dominate the market leading to less choice for the people. As it is we are spoiled for choice because of all the players out there, which is a good thing.

A great example of self regulation is in the PBusardo interview with the owners of FlavourArt, on their own they are conducting independently run research by a University to check on ingredients etc etc, all this without anyone telling them except the market (concerns of diacetyl etc etc). They don't have to, its not regulated, but they are, because they are concerned for safety. Because of this, the wallets of the people are doing the voting, they have a large share of the market in flavorings.

Your points are well taken, I guess differing views on regulations will always exist. I'm just grateful we have a forum where ideas can be shared freely, cheers @CAPSNOSPACE !

Always a pleasure to exchange ideas, no matter what differences it may contain; nourishing on the mind, and enlightening at times even. And cheers to you too, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread