More Newbie QuestionsL Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
So I was going through youtube videos yesterday and watched a bunch of PBrusardos (sp?). They were so helpful. In one of his videos, he mentioned how maple flavored juice left a residual smell, so he was particularly conscientious about vaping them where the smell might disturb other people.

So my question is: how odor-free is vaping?

I certainly wouldn't want to do it in close quarters with another person even with no smell. After all, though it seems pretty much a dead cert that VG and PG are pretty safe to inhale, there's no good long term study. Plus I don't know how much nicotine might be in that vapor. It's a mild drug, but it is a highly addictive one. I know how much I feel like a cigarette when I walk by smokers. I would hate to drive some ex-smoker into a nic fit by vaping in their face!

But aside from all that, is my house, car, clothes, etc. going to carry a smell of the flavorings in the juice? Will it just smell a bit when I vape? Not at all? Just certain flavors?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Some juices are odorless, and some are not, and the extent of the odor varies considerably for each juice.
Of the ones that are not odorless, some smell wonderful and some don't smell so wonderful.
:)

And regarding the nicotine, I wouldn't worry about that with respect to people in your vicinity.
Even your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend sitting on the couch next to you would get more nicotine by eating a tomato.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Vaping is not odour free. If you can taste it you can smell it, since our sense of taste is directly linked to our sense of smell. I haven't been told that I smell of redbull yet, but I haven't asked anyone either.

As far as nicotine goes, I highly doubt an ex smoker is going to be driven to a nic fit, the way the nicotine from vapin gis absorbed is different than from tobacco products. It's done mainly via mucous membranes in your nose/sinuses, it takes upwards of 20 minutes to full uptake. Just be considerate and don't blow it in their face. Even if you happened to, they won't even associate it with tobacco because it doesn't smell anything similar. When you walk by a smoker do you get the craving because it smells like a cigarette, or is it because you see smoke?

When I smoked my first cig I wasn't hooked on first drag, it took quite some time before I was bad enough off that I finally bought my very own pack, and then it took even longer till I bought a pouch of tobacco to extend my limited budget.

Now, that all aside, this is purely personal opinion based on what I've read and noticed around me.

ChipHead

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Florida
It all stinks (smells) to one extent or another. I vape in my office and one of the two people who work for me mentioned that one of my juices "smelled like a campfire". Another juice reminded one of these good folk of a flowery smell he absolutely hates. So I don't vape either one in my office. Respect and listen to those around you. My wife recently went to full time menthol vaping (YAY!!!!!!!!) and I can smell it but it smells 1000 times better than her coming in from the back deck after smoking an analogue.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
When I go to the computer shop the gal behind the counter always looks to see if I have a device with me, mainly because she wants me to blow some vapor toward her so she can smell whatever I'm vaping. She is very fond of my strawberry waffle with whipped cream vapor and the espresso ;) She's an ex smoker btw, but not a vaper.

I notice my house smells a bit sweet, my kitchen itself when you open the pantry door smells like a bakery from all the flavorings in it.

All in all it's a relief to have house, clothing and car not stinking of tobacco smoke.

There are no laws, yet that prohibit Vaping indoors, in the United States of America.

Why do a study on something the FDA knows is safe? If it was anything else they would be doing extensive testing. Having concrete medical proof that Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid is "safe" is like admitting in court you killed the man not John Smith.

There is no residue and I often compare vapor from Electronic Cigarettes to humidifiers and things you can stick in them. Sure you can smell it but just like body odor or any other smells not everyone is going to like the smell of Maple syrup, Cherry or any other various flavors in which you can purchase E-Liquid.

As far as I know regarding Nicotine it is highly absorbent which is why when working with high MG of E-liquid or pure nicotine you should wear gloves and avoid spilling it. I think it is important to note the high absorbancy therefore none should reach a level of second hand containment. The problem with exhaling and expelling smoke from analog cigarettes is the harmful chemicals, carbon monoxide, ammonia etc but not the release of nicotine.

No one, I know of, goes to the club every weekend that does not smoke and complains the fog machine is killing there lungs.

Hope that helps?

hnyb0210

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
PA
This has been hard for me to determine, because while I certainly taste it, I personally don't seem to smell anything in the air, either while vaping or a lingering smell. My daughter sometimes asks me "what's that flavor?" because she can smell something fruity, so obviously there is some smell. But for the most part, she reports that it "smells pretty good" so I don't think any of my juices are offensive :confused: I'm just so thankful to not have my hair, clothes, vehicles, etc. smell like smoke!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread