Mouth Sores???? ARG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Its likely because you are vaping cinnamaldehyde, which in high enough amounts will cause mouth sores. And if it is PG, then it is possible that the general drying effect of the PG is also making it worse. Many people, me included, cannot do much cinnamon, like gum or candy, because it makes the mouth break out. Cinnamaldehyde is also a lung irritant, as are many aldehydes. Some are fine with this cinn juice, but what you are describing is not at all uncommon, especially for cinnabomb. Do a forum search, and you will see.

In my professional opinion, as a chemist, vaping cinnamon is playing with fire. I would stay away from it, as it seems you are also one thhat gets cinnamon sores, and wash your mouth with a water solution of baking soda. This will raise the pH of the mouth and help a bit with the pain. They will go away, but only if you stop topically applying cinnamon oil and stay away from acidic drinks or food for a couple days. I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice, just what works in my experience.

I wonder if vendors are getting stories like this from customers that vaped their cinnamon juices. It would seem they would be. I have seen at least three stories like this for cinnabomb in the last couple months.

ella

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Its likely because you are vaping cinnamaldehyde, which in high enough amounts will cause mouth sores. And if it is PG, then it is possible that the general drying effect of the PG is also making it worse. Many people, me included, cannot do much cinnamon, like gum or candy, because it makes the mouth break out. Cinnamaldehyde is also a lung irritant, as are many aldehydes. Some are fine with this cinn juice, but what you are describing is not at all uncommon, especially for cinnabomb. Do a forum search, and you will see.

In my professional opinion, as a chemist, vaping cinnamon is playing with fire. I would stay away from it, as it seems you are also one thhat gets cinnamon sores, and wash your mouth with a water solution of baking soda. This will raise the pH of the mouth and help a bit with the pain. They will go away, but only if you stop topically applying cinnamon oil and stay away from acidic drinks or food for a couple days. I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice, just what works in my experience.

I wonder if vendors are getting stories like this from customers that vaped their cinnamon juices. It would seem they would be. I have seen at least three stories like this for cinnabomb in the last couple months.

Thanks for this reply Kurt! After more than 6 months of successful vaping (pg/vg blends) I recently got some nasty mouth sores and coincidentally at the same time I started to vape a cinnamon flavour. Just one a diy'ed myself with just a touch of cinnamon but must have been enough to aggravate my mouth. Down the drain that one goes :)

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
Thank you so much for letting me know I'm not the 'only one' I did see the other posts and one mentioned using olive oil on it and can NOT believe it but it worked REALLY well, it instantly takes the pain away! And it wasn't bad on the lips either as a thin moisturizer...LOL...just a touch at a time, it hasn't gone away totally and my cinnabomb has now taken a ride to the dump...LOL...thank you again. I thought vaping would be easier but knowing more now, I am taking more time to watch what I am ordering.

I first vaped just cinnamon and got the mouth sores. I did not connect it with that juice however, so my next one was cinnabomb. I actually had to go to the hospital emergency room because my throat closed up.

I was never allergic to cinnamon toast or cinnamon candy, so I had no idea that I would have a problem. I was really dissappointed too because I loved the taste.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Yes, nic itself can create a sore, if combined with high heat. I get a little irritation with my 5V PT sometimes if I'm upping the nic content.

That has to be the case because I do not use cinnamon flavor, ever, and have been having this issue. I use normally a 50/50 vape and in tobacco flavors mostly. I had a small sampler vial of coffee from freedomsmoke that i loved, but i got the ulcers even before using that.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I did get ulcers as well. When I started out back in July. I started out on RAth juice and juice from ecigexpress. I stopped ordering from them and threw out the juice...no more mouth sores. I used a peroxide/baking soda rinse to eliminate my pain. It worked for me. However, baking soda by itself would work. I also tried snus-camel and this caused ulcers as well. I believe its due to the buccal area being sensitive on some folks. Absorbtion rates and reaction to nictotine and or other chemicals in e-fluid can vary due to each persons individual health and sensitivity to that product. Besides a lung hit one can absorb vaping though the mucous membranes as well. Just a thought....

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Can someone specifically name a tobacco blend that might not cause the ulcers? I am not real well versed in picking them yet, when someone says to get a mostly PG based juice, that doesn't' tell me a lot as I don't know what to get or where to get that ...

Any suggestions as to a specific juice and where I can get it from? I have ordered lately from freedomsmoke. What blend ratio should I choose? But i think most everything they offer is 50/50 in the tobacco blends and Im not a huge fan of the other flavored juices.

I'm kind of in the same camp as the OP. If it continues to cause mouth ulcers not sure I could keep on vaping. They are very painful.

Last edited:

Twist

Sep 14, 2010
Idaho
Can someone specifically name a tobacco blend that might not cause the ulcers? I am not real well versed in picking them yet, when someone says to get a mostly PG based juice, that doesn't' tell me a lot as I don't know what to get or where to get that ...

Any suggestions as to a specific juice and where I can get it from? I have ordered lately from freedomsmoke. What blend ratio should I choose? But i think most everything they offer is 50/50 in the tobacco blends and Im not a huge fan of the other flavored juices.

I'm kind of in the same camp as the OP. If it continues to cause mouth ulcers not sure I could keep on vaping. They are very painful.

I got mouth sores the first few weeks I vaped. I tried so many flavors that I couldn't possibly pin it on any one of them. It could have also been a side effect of quitting smoking or my body acclimating to vaping.

I now vape Wyatt Earp from freedomsmokeusa.com almost exclusively, and haven't had any mouth sores in weeks. The PG/VG ratio isn't even disclosed on the website for it, but it's thick so I'd say it's probably there standard 50/50.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I got mouth sores the first few weeks I vaped. I tried so many flavors that I couldn't possibly pin it on any one of them. It could have also been a side effect of quitting smoking or my body acclimating to vaping.

I now vape Wyatt Earp from freedomsmokeusa.com almost exclusively, and haven't had any mouth sores in weeks. The PG/VG ratio isn't even disclosed on the website for it, but it's thick so I'd say it's probably there standard 50/50.

I wish I liked wyatt earp. I did buy a big bottle of it, but its way too spicy for me. I have another tobacco blend from a different supplier that i like, but i fear that it might have the wrong ratio of pg/vg that is causing the issue so I am going to keep trying others. I gave my wyatt earp to my buddy who recently started the e-cig and he loves it. It just didn't taste good to me at all. i might try another freedomsmoke tobacco flavor. I love their coffee juice. So far, that is my favorite.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
I did get ulcers as well. When I started out back in July. I started out on RAth juice and juice from ecigexpress. I stopped ordering from them and threw out the juice...no more mouth sores. I used a peroxide/baking soda rinse to eliminate my pain. It worked for me. However, baking soda by itself would work. I also tried snus-camel and this caused ulcers as well. I believe its due to the buccal area being sensitive on some folks. Absorbtion rates and reaction to nictotine and or other chemicals in e-fluid can vary due to each persons individual health and sensitivity to that product. Besides a lung hit one can absorb vaping though the mucous membranes as well. Just a thought....

The first tobacco flavor that i tried, and that i have used almost consistently since, is the USA Mix from E Cig Best Save. I like the taste, but am strongly suspecting the pg/vg ratio isn't right for me and i am trying to find other flavors from freedomsmoke in the 50/50 ratio to switch to exclusively. So far only the coffee has been a flavor i really like and i have tried samples of bilberry (much too tart, didn't like it), banana creme, gingerbread (another one taht was too strong of an aftertaste), hopscotch (this one was ok), and applewood (did like this one). BUt i like tobacco flavor best and trying to find a good one. Wyatt Earp tasted really bad to me. WAY too spicy.

My favorite, but due to cost I can't use consistently, are the pre-filled genuine joye carto's from Cignot in the Marl 18 mg flavor/strength. Smoothest flavor of all and by far my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread